Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #16  
bee

S/C/G: 265.5/240/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for thinking so!
I have not been the best student. So I was kind of amazed that they even accepted me let alone getting scholarships. After this year I hope to be eligible for scholarships, but I don't want to depend on that if it doesn't happen.

April is when the owner is putting it up for sale. And with our economy it probably won't go super fast but just in case I want to have something lined up. or at least a plan. She has already offered to sell it to my parents, but they are probably not going to buy it. (It is about 200 feet from a small river/creek, so when it rains everything downstairs has to be put up on cinder blocks. Luckily the main living space and 3 of 5 bedrooms are upstairs. but it's still VERY inconvenient and my stepbro is probably moving out this summer so they will likely be able to find a decent 3 bedroom a lot easier than a 4 or 5 bedroom and for a lot cheaper)

I have been thinking about a part time job. But all of my experience is in retail and when you start you say you want to stay at 10 hours and then it goes to 15 and slowly you are working 30 hours a week and they act like they can fire you if you say you want less hours. So I spoke to someone in my schools career center and she said they want like 20 hours. (The actual career counselors were out of the office and she was the dean of something and didn't look up actual numbers so I plan to go talk to people that deal with the information on a daily basis. Cause I would die with 20 hours plus 18 credit hours.)

I had planned to take summer classes, but if needed I can go for an extra semester or 2 but I don't really want to do that because I can almost smell graduation. (about a year and a half or so) But it would help get me out of the house at least and then I could get a job and work crazy hours in the summers. or even take a couple classes at a community college instead of a full semester at uc. SO MANY DECISIONS!! ahh!

This week alone I have watched the first season on netflix 5 times. I have A.D.D. and can't just be on a computer, so I watch and rewatch t.v. shows as background noise. (I have watched Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone so many times)

What are you doing in grad school?
beahawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #17  

Hi and
WhoDat730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #18  
bee

Hi! Welcome to you too! I looks like you are fairly new also!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 254/178/160 254/178/160

Height: 5'5

Hi, beahawkins

I'm currently taking phentermine to help me with over eating, its doing a good job at it. I'm also exercising not as much as I should be but its a whole lot more than what I used to do. I didn't realized how much weight I'd shed until I logged on to add my current weight.

Before I'd started taking phentermine I had went up to 259 and when I started taking it my weight in was 247 and now I'm at 230. If I wasn't such an over eater I think consistent exercising and portion control would be enough
for me but my will power when it comes to putting the fork down is't as strong as I'd like it to be. Enough about me: All the best with shedding the pounds, you can do it.
PrettyLadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:38 AM   #20  
bee

I love when people talk about themselves!! : ) lol I am super jealous about that weight drop! How long have you been using phentermine?

I understand about the over eating. Last quarter I binged to deal with stress of school. It makes me nervous to think about other ways to relieve stress.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 287/249.6/179

Height: 5'5"

Well good luck with the housing, good that you have some time to figure it out. Doesnt sound like a good investment for your fam.

Retail jobs are also really stressful. Does your school offer like... work study programs? In canada you can apply for jobs on campus through the career center if you meet certain qualifications, could be worth looking into.

Taking longer to do a degree is not a big deal. I took my time and I'm glad I did. It made it easier to work and get good grades... also to volunteer and build a solid relationship with my fiance. Don't be afraid to stretch it out a bit, it often makes the whole experience more enjoyable, at least in my experience.

I'm doing environmental science... I study the effects of air pollution on the health of elderly in Shanghai... that's the case study I'm working with, but my thesis work is on making a certain methodology more useable in the real world. What do you do at school?
katiekish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #22  
bee

I don't think I qualify for work study. I checked it when I did my fafsa and they didn't mention anything on my results.
Yeah I understand but at this point I have been in college classes off and on for about 5 years. It just feels like I will never get out.

That's really interesting. I am in communications. Eventually when I get into grad school, I am either leaning towards teaching com at a community college level or getting my masters in college advising. I can plan a 4year degree completely in about an hour, once I understand the college's website. It is a weird talent lol.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:26 PM   #23  
me

S/C/G: 299/135/fit

Hi Beahawkins,
are you sure you can't get work study? Sometimes you have to go to your school's department and ask to be reconsidered for it (especially if you family situation has changed ie moving homes, income change, etc).

Try looking on campus for jobs. In my experience, they are usually more flexible because they understand you are a student (hence is why I quit my mall job and worked for my campus when I was in undergrad).

anyway, hope all is going good and you find a situation that works for you! Good LUCK
kisskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #24  
bee

Oh cool! I will definitely check again. I figured, once denied always denied.
Thanks!!