Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-22-2012, 01:33 PM   #1  

Default Hello! So, I'm new and have a question...

This is sorta my second go at losing weight unfortunately. I'm 5'5" and 176lbs. Was 182lbs only recently and that was the push to get me started for sure this time around.

Brief intro: been 15-20lbs overweight much of my teenage years till early 20s. At one point back then, weight crept up to 158lbs and decided that was enough and lost 30lbs in all. This was a few years ago. Now I'm 26 and heavier than ever before and it's very disheartening considering I was "normal" just, what seems like, a short while back. Also, now that I'm older, I'm petrified of loose skin whenever it is that I go down to a 125lbs. I'd like to hear some first-hand stories of those that have lost 50-60lbs - was there much loose skin and if so, did it get better over time? Thanks!
thisonetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #2  
Do it or lose him!

Height: 5'10"

I've lost that much weight at one point. One thing you want to do is lose slowly to give your skin time to adjust. Another thing that worked for me? Cocoa Butter! It's your friend. Use it every day on skin all over your body.
SuddenlySweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

Welcome, thisonetime! My best advice is do it for your health. You will feel so much better in so many ways!

Also, don't get too hung up on the final weight. At your height, anything below 150 is normal, so you may decided that you like how you look and feel before you've lost fifty pounds.

And, in a bit of contradiction to the above advice, do it now. The loose skin problem is only going to get worse as your age. I'm fifty. I lost over 70 pounds and loose skin isn't bugging me. It's only in a couple of spots that are easily covered by clothes. And the only person who sees me naked isn't complaining at all about my new body.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #4  

Thanks for the responses! I'm feeling hopeful about it all and agree with the both of you: I should get started on losing weight now and take care of my skin as I go along as well. I just hope things turn out for the best! I've been reading around online about this a bit more and some sites talk about how your skin goes back down to a normal size after a few years or so, if at all one does wind up with loose skin. So, patience and perseverance I suppose!

Last edited by thisonetime; 05-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.
thisonetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #5  

Height: 5' 8"

Smile I'm a newbie, too!

I was wondering about that, too, as I will begin my Ideal Protein journey tomorrow!! I'm nervous, anxious, scared, but also excited and optimistic!! I know it will be difficult, but am excited to see results! I have 70 pounds to lose and wondered about loose skin. Hopefully, my skin will keep up with my weight loss! I will grab so Cocoa Butter, though, so thanks for the advice!

GOOD LUCK!
Redbird405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #6  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I was a lot heavier than you (242) & am shorter than you- I do have a bit of extra skin but it is getting a lot better compared to last year. Everyone is different but for me, I think water, strength/resistance training and TIME is helping the loose skin. Honestly? I'd take it over being 242 again!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 210/199/135

Height: 5'5

Default Not big deal

I can tell you from the perspective of a medical professional....you're only 26. You skin still holds much of it's elasticity. I wouldn't worry. It'll bounce back in no time.
yamehya is offline   Reply With Quote