Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 335/305/225

Height: 5'4

Unhappy New Here...Looking for support...

Weighed myself today for the first time in a long time and was super sad to see the number. I need to lose a LOT of weight and don't have much of a support system. I feel like I've tried every diet known to man without much success.
NorCalMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 244/199/180

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to the site! I'm new here too!

About 2 months ago I started The South Beach Diet. I thought...what a stupid name for a diet. South Beach... I'm from Northern New Hampshire! lol
A friend of mine at work has done the diet and she lost a lot of weight on it. She was praising it up and down. After talking to her extensively about it and doing some research online, I told her I'd be interested in trying it.

One day she looked at me and said "So, you're starting the diet today right?" I looked at her and was like...sure...lets do this... It's been 2 months now and have lost 28 lbs. unlike the Adkins diet this really teaches you how to eat healthy...it shows you that you really don't have to deprive yourself of good tasting food to lose weight. Honestly, the first two weeks were hard because there was temptation everywhere... but after that two weeks it became much easier. There is so much you can eat that you really only miss the bad stuff every once in awhile. I still go out to eat and enjoy a coffee each day. I just substitute sugar for Splenda and white bread and pasta for Whole Wheat. Once the weight starts to come off you really don't want the bad stuff as much. I keep telling my friends... 28 lbs is better than that sugary thing your offering me.

I've only had a few problems to over come during the diet. I've been on the Depo shot for 4 years and had next to no periods with it. Once I started losing the weight I found out that fat cells contain estrogen so my periods came back. I had a crazy 3 week long spotting, one week off and I had my first normal period last week. Things are evening out though. I dropped 6 lbs this past week. My iron levels dropped a bit while I was spotting those three weeks...but I brought them right back up by eating more red meat and broccoli.

I don't know if you've done the diet but if you haven't, I'd look into it. It's not for everyone but It's working awesome for me.
itzadreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 319/276.6/154

Height: 5' 8"

Welcome! I'm fairly new too and understand how you feel, this site is honestly terrific for support and the people on it are so friendly,
dieting is hard, I'm on a 'clean eating' diet and am struggling with it a bit this week but it seems to be working with making me feel better,
the south beach diet sounds fantastic though from what itzadreamer has said
Stephanie987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 308/307/198

Height: 5'2"

Hi, and welcome to 3FC!

I felt much the same way when I started in March, as if I'd tried everything and nothing worked. Honestly, I think you just have to find what works for you, when you are ready. There's no harm in experimenting with different plans and evaluating which one suits you best.

I can tell you what worked for me, and you can make of it what you will: I started at 307 in mid-March. I made up my own diet plan and began restricting calories A LOT while still trying to maintain adequate nutrition and so far I've lost 36 lbs. It has been extremely difficult but very worthwhile. I've been hungry pretty much every day since I started, but by now I am so used to the way I eat that when I do happen to go off-track (and it does happen; I've had several 'cheat days' where I eat off-plan) the consequences have been very unpleasant: Lethargy, serious physical illness, etc. I think it just went to show me how awfully I'd been eating.

I try to do at least 40 mins of exercise every other day. I don't eat pasta, rice or bread, potatoes, or anything else too carby or starchy. I try to eat a lot of lean protein, legumes, whole-grains, fruits and vegetables.

My plan is not for everyone; I tailored it to suit my needs, likes and dislikes, and what I thought I could handle. I don't think there's anything wrong with coming up with your own diet and exercise plan, based on all of those things. If you haven't exercised in a while you could start with something as simple as a moderate 20 min walk and work your way up. That's what I had to do; I just wasn't very fit.

Anyway, I hope you find a plan you can live with, and good luck with everything!
Amy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:34 AM   #5  
Every step is progress.

S/C/G: 297/221/175

Height: 5'11"

Hi NorCalMommy!

welcome! Keep in mind that every lb lost is progress, and try not to get discouraged. It may take time to see progress.

I'm glad you came to join us!
RandomPaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #6  

Thanks guys

I'm thinking about making up my own diet... Kind of a combination of things I like from other diets... Today is day one!
Old 05-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #7  
~Never Quit~

S/C/G: 252/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'7"

NorCalMommy

Welcome! Look around this board and see which forums/threads catch your attention and start there. It's great to see your intro but don't stop here.
EatMoreCelery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 266/250/150

Height: 5'7

Welcome! I'm new too and I've already found this forum very helpful. Just keep thinking that in the recent future when you start seeing results you'll be glad you started today.
Madkitty95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:37 PM   #9  
Project Hot! Lets do this

S/C/G: 185/177/135

Height: 5'8

Hi! Welcome! I'm new too! I found the south beach diet recipees mostly all great tasting. Im learning to love to cook again thanks to the recipees.
lovesouthbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #10  
Project Hot! Lets do this

S/C/G: 185/177/135

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzadreamer View Post
Welcome to the site! I'm new here too!

About 2 months ago I started The South Beach Diet. I thought...what a stupid name for a diet. South Beach... I'm from Northern New Hampshire! lol
A friend of mine at work has done the diet and she lost a lot of weight on it. She was praising it up and down. After talking to her extensively about it and doing some research online, I told her I'd be interested in trying it.
Lol I know right Im in alberta, Canada and our weather is anything but south beachy it just snowed AGAIn in mid may!! one can pretend lol.
lovesouthbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:18 PM   #11  

I just looked up the South Beach diet online and it looks pretty easy to follow! Bought the book on Amazon! A friend just gave me the 17 day diet book too and that seems to make a lot of sense as well. Today's day 8 and I'm down 3 pounds... Wish it was more but it's a start!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:03 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 260/seeticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Hello! I just joined today actually.
It was definitely a scare for me to step on the scale. Its been too long, and the last weight is what I kept telling myself was the current lol. (Not a good idea) So far, this site has been very comforting and motivating to me. I have never realized so many people were going through the same as I was. Goodluck to you on your journey, and keep smiling I'll definitely try doing the same. One day at a time.
Rennohana is offline   Reply With Quote