Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #1  
ShrinkTheShrink!

S/C/G: 152/152/85

Height: 4'11"

Default I'm new to this sort of thing...any advice would help!

Hi!

I've never done this before.

I was always a very active person. Throughout school and uni, I was part of dance teams, which meant practising for up to 6 hours a day! Once I finished my Masters, though, I got lazy. So incredibly lazy, I found myself making excuses to not exercise - every single day.

I'm still doing it! It frustrates me to know that in spite of studying psychology for the past 7 years, I'm unable to motivate myself! (Motivating other people is a breeze, though, FYI)

Let me say this right away - I don't have any trouble with eating. I don't have a sweet tooth, I don't eat too much salt, I don't "snack", I don't crave junk food, I don't stress-eat (is that a term? Or am I making stuff up again?), and I rarely eat out. Fruits and vegetables are a staple part of our cuisine (I'm Indian, and recently moved back in with my parents). All my meals are home-cooked, with little to no fat (again, a result of the cuisine).

Problem is, I've become lazy. I've lost all my stamina. I used to be able to dance non-stop for hours, but now, 3 minutes of cardio has me gasping for breath and feeling nauseous! It's embarrassing.

I cannot go to a gym, because my family will not allow it. Any exercise I do has to be done at home, with no equipment, and I know it's not going to be easy.

I have a small frame... I'm 4'11", and I weigh 69 kgs - which is 152 lbs! My doctor tells me I need to bring my weight down to 39 kgs (85.9 lbs), so I need to find a way to motivate myself.

I've done so much research on online support forums and the incredible effect it has on people, so I thought I'd give this a go!

So, here's the plan. It's quarter past ten in the night here right now, so I'm going to bed, but tomorrow, I have to start doing something about my weight. I am starting a blog, too, to help me put my thoughts in order.

Well, here goes!

* nervous smile *
shrinktheshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:54 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I think 85 pounds is a little low, I am only one inch taller than you and I wouldn't consider anything that low.
Is it a cultural thing that your parents will not let you go to a gym , even though you are an adult ?
I wish you luck, do you have any exercise equipment at home ?
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #3  
ShrinkTheShrink!

I thought 85 pounds was low, too, but my doctor said I have a small(er) frame, and need to lose that much more... Make sense?

Not being allowed to go to the gym is not exactly a cultural thing - more a family thing.

No, I have no exercise equipment at home. This is not going to be easy!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/174/169

Height: 5'8

It's amazing how much cardio exercise can do for you. Start taking brisk walks for at least 30+ minutes per day, and as you can, intersperse some jogging for as many minutes as possible. Cardio is the best for fat burning. Also you can get some cheap dumbbells to work your arms and do sit-ups, push-ups, leg lifts, lunges, etc. at home to start toning.
WebWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 223/130/126

Height: 5ft 5

Hey, welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie too

Have you thought about getting a fitness DVD? Or how about some cheap fitness equipment - a hula hoop or skipping rope perhaps?
1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:43 AM   #6  
Health is wealth $$$$$$$$

S/C/G: 180/150/115

Height: 5"2

Hey! Since you need to workout at home and can't go to the gym, maybe try an at home workout like the 30 Day Shred by Jillian Michaels? It's pretty effective and its just a 20 minute video, but really kicks your ***! They have 3 levels too..I'm on level 1 and I can't even do the entire thing without taking pretty long breaks haha. (Also, since you're Indian and possibly have a lot of rice in your meals (?), try substituting rice with rice flakes (poha), if you can! It tastes pretty similar and has like pretty much 1/4 the carbs and calories rice does).
Zazaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:57 PM   #7  
ShrinkTheShrink!

Thanks, all!

I did some mild exercise today...just brisk walking and some yoga. I've caught a nasty cold from my school-going sister, and I can barely breathe, so I thought I'd take it easy today.

Zazaa - We eat rice once a day (Mom just can't do without it), but I eat very little. Poha is not popular in our home.

1987 - Thanks! Will look into fitness DVDs... Most of the times, though, the shipping charges cost more than the product itself! But yes, I will look into it. If not, youtube!

Webwoman - Thanks! I will incorporate cardio (as soon as my chest infection clears a little)!