Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:52 AM   #1  
Betsey

S/C/G: 232.2/185.5/160

Height: 5'10

Smile Hi Everyone!

Hi! I'm new to the website but not new to wanting to lose weight! I joined this site as I am looking for people who are working on losing weight as well and seeing results! Any tips are greatly appreciated.

I've been looking at ordering some of the DVD videos such as Insanity or Power 90 but am concerned about not being able to complete them due to my weight and lack of endurance when working out. If anyone has any suggestions on a great starting workout DVD or similar program please let me know!

A little about me: My heaviest weight was 270 and I ended up losing weight to get to 200 and I felt great! When I started dating my current boyfriend just about 2 years ago, I was at 204 and am now currently back to almost 230 and feel like a slob. I feel overwhelmed much of the time with other things and think that some time working on making myself better and healthier will make me feel better. I just needed a good support group and am glad to have found one!

I look forward to getting to know all of you and wish you all the best in your weight loss journey!
bt2155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:09 AM   #2  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

welcome!!!! I myself have been contemplating trying the insanity work out video and also the 10 minute beach body trainer! it's all made by the same company but I like the 10 minute work out because I feel even though I'm really over weight I should be able to last at least 10 minutes! so that might be something for you to look into! what sort of eating plan will you be doing? calorie counting? weight watchers? jenny craig? south beach, etc?? there are lots of different forums here so look around find out which threads you'd like to participate in and get to know every one I myself hang out over in calorie counters, and the 300 lb group as well as the exercise threads!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 02:17 AM   #3  
Betsey

I'm planning on working with Calorie Counting, however I've read a few posts talking about IP and am really interested in learning more about it! One of my friends (who in my opinion was already pretty slender) recently lost 20 pounds just by cutting down on her intake!

I'll definitely look into the 10 minute workout! Thanks for the advice! As someone who jokes a lot, many people laugh off my comment of having a hard time doing sit ups with a belly in the way, but its very true! I'm just fearful that I'd be setting myself up for a bit of frustration and failure with Insanity.

Congrats on your weight loss so far! Also, I love your picture! It's adorable! :-)
Old 02-20-2012, 02:29 AM   #4  
The name is Maria :)

S/C/G: 325/291.9/170(for now)

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt2155 View Post
I'm planning on working with Calorie Counting, however I've read a few posts talking about IP and am really interested in learning more about it! One of my friends (who in my opinion was already pretty slender) recently lost 20 pounds just by cutting down on her intake!

I'll definitely look into the 10 minute workout! Thanks for the advice! As someone who jokes a lot, many people laugh off my comment of having a hard time doing sit ups with a belly in the way, but its very true! I'm just fearful that I'd be setting myself up for a bit of frustration and failure with Insanity.

Congrats on your weight loss so far! Also, I love your picture! It's adorable! :-)
I've been loving calorie counting the great thing about it for me is you can still eat anything and everything with in your calorie "budget" I've tried atkins, south beach, some cabbage soup diet, etc and while they all do work it didn't work for me long term because I couldn't live eating like that forever... this time around I wanted to find something that could be a forever lifestyle change not just a short term weight loss solution, So I'm a huge fan of it! It's free, you can easily track your calories on line, you can still eat everything you love! In moderation of course and with some healthy modifications to old ways of preparing food! for example tonight my hubby was craving banana bread... I have a fantastic recipe that we both love but I subbed whole wheat flour for white flour, subbed no sugar added apple sauce for butter and voila! yummy delicious HEALTHIER banana bread! anyways I hope I see you over in the calorie counting threads! there are some great gals over there! but there are great gals in all the forums here! whatever plan you decided to go with just make sure your determined and committed! make it NOT an option to fail! Just like going to work, paying your bills, going to school etc..! when you make making healthy choices not an option but a must even if you don't feel like it in the moment and would rather the unhealthy option you make it a habit and a lifestyle change and there for something you can and will do forever! thanks for the compliment on my picture! We took that last year on our 5 year anniversary cruise! can't wait to take new pics but this time ! much skinnier hehe! agian welcome!
mariamherrera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

I have been looking into the new Beachbody workouts too, and I have decided that TurboFire and Insanity are too high-impact for me right now, but I plan on ordering one of them (or both) as soon as I get down to 190 or so – I am going to play it by ear. Meanwhile, I started easing back into exercise by doing the weight loss yoga workout by Sara Ivanhoe, which is just 20 minutes but raises my heart rate and challenges my strength and balance

I also plan to start working out to TurboJam soon – it's a step down from TurboFire and better for beginners (as the instructor explains here) but people had great results on it!

I am not a total beginners, but since I haven't been exercising regularly for quite a while, I am placing myself in that category

If you decide to try TurboJam, let me know – maybe we could buddy up, or update our progress on the forum to keep each other motivated... just an idea!

Whatever you decide, best of luck! Having just renewed my commitment to health and weight loss, I know it takes determination and some self-discipline, but support (like the kind you find here!) helps SO much.

Last edited by FitMomEB; 02-20-2012 at 05:26 AM.
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 130/120

Height: 5'5"

Default Debbies21

I'm new to the forum and while I don't have alot of weight to use, I was in a car accident several years ago and while it was a simple fender bender from the insurance point of view, it had long lasting consequences. I had 5 operations, I broke a bone in my ear and lost about 15% hearing, I broke a tooth and needed an implant, I ripped a disk in half and had back surgery, and 2 knee surgeries. I feel like I'm just getting back to a new normal.

I was thin but during all the surgeries and litigation I lost alot of strength and muscle. So I was very soft N squishy.
Debbies21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 PM   #7  
Betsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariamherrera View Post
I've been loving calorie counting the great thing about it for me is you can still eat anything and everything with in your calorie "budget" I've tried atkins, south beach, some cabbage soup diet, etc and while they all do work it didn't work for me long term because I couldn't live eating like that forever... this time around I wanted to find something that could be a forever lifestyle change not just a short term weight loss solution, So I'm a huge fan of it! It's free, you can easily track your calories on line, you can still eat everything you love! In moderation of course and with some healthy modifications to old ways of preparing food! for example tonight my hubby was craving banana bread... I have a fantastic recipe that we both love but I subbed whole wheat flour for white flour, subbed no sugar added apple sauce for butter and voila! yummy delicious HEALTHIER banana bread! anyways I hope I see you over in the calorie counting threads! there are some great gals over there! but there are great gals in all the forums here! whatever plan you decided to go with just make sure your determined and committed! make it NOT an option to fail! Just like going to work, paying your bills, going to school etc..! when you make making healthy choices not an option but a must even if you don't feel like it in the moment and would rather the unhealthy option you make it a habit and a lifestyle change and there for something you can and will do forever! thanks for the compliment on my picture! We took that last year on our 5 year anniversary cruise! can't wait to take new pics but this time ! much skinnier hehe! agian welcome!
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm really excited to get fully started. I joined Weight Watchers today after hearing so many great things about it from friends who have gone through significant weight loss and are still seeing results after dropping many pounds! I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #8  
Betsey

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitMomEB View Post
I have been looking into the new Beachbody workouts too, and I have decided that TurboFire and Insanity are too high-impact for me right now, but I plan on ordering one of them (or both) as soon as I get down to 190 or so – I am going to play it by ear. Meanwhile, I started easing back into exercise by doing the weight loss yoga workout by Sara Ivanhoe, which is just 20 minutes but raises my heart rate and challenges my strength and balance

I am not a total beginners, but since I haven't been exercising regularly for quite a while, I am placing myself in that category

If you decide to try TurboJam, let me know – maybe we could buddy up, or update our progress on the forum to keep each other motivated... just an idea!

Whatever you decide, best of luck! Having just renewed my commitment to health and weight loss, I know it takes determination and some self-discipline, but support (like the kind you find here!) helps SO much.
I've actually tried TurboJam a few years back, but felt a lot of pressure on my knees when I was doing it and ended up stopping. One of the recommendations I was told of was Jillian Michael's Dvd's. I know of a few people who have tried them and the majority of them loved her workout plans. Another thing I was told to look into was Zumba and I recently purchased a Wii and have seen the Zumba Game. I think I'd like to try that.

I plan on running to the library tomorrow and seeing if I can rent out a dvd and see how I like it! I'm not sure that there are many programs that you can rent through the library, but I'll let you know what I find out!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:25 PM   #9  
Betsey

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbies21 View Post
I'm new to the forum and while I don't have alot of weight to use, I was in a car accident several years ago and while it was a simple fender bender from the insurance point of view, it had long lasting consequences. I had 5 operations, I broke a bone in my ear and lost about 15% hearing, I broke a tooth and needed an implant, I ripped a disk in half and had back surgery, and 2 knee surgeries. I feel like I'm just getting back to a new normal.

I was thin but during all the surgeries and litigation I lost alot of strength and muscle. So I was very soft N squishy.
I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I assume you've been working with PT and OT. Are they giving you exercises that help to strengthen as well as tone up? If not, ask them for those. I know they can give you things that will do both!

Keep your head up! It will get easier!

We're glad you're here!