Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #1  
Kait

S/C/G: 180/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Default Introduction and Questions!

Hi guys, my name is Kaitlyn. I'm a 19 year old college student who is living at home. I weigh 180 lbs and I'm 5'4. I've browsed around this website for years(since about middle school) for inspiration but I decided that I'll actually start posting on it now. I have successfully lost 30 lbs before, about 2 summers ago while on the pill phentermine(works, but i wouldn't recommend it--dangerous) My weight has gone up and down anywhere from 200 lbs to 160. But ~180 has been the norm lately. Anyway, I really want to get down to 130-140 lbs!

My question for everyone is what has been working the best for you? As far as diet, it seems like calorie counting works for everyone. I'm pretty curious on what types of exercises have been working the best for you and how long/often you do them.

Also, does anyone else live at home and have trouble figuring out what to eat? My mom's food isn't terribly unhealthy but I'd rather eat healthier and buy my own groceries. (That won't be happening though until i move out and have more money saved up)

One more question, in general, what are your favorite healthy foods, whether they be for snacking or dinner?

Any answers and input would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Kait; 01-30-2012 at 06:43 PM.
Kait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:37 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

KAIT ~ well, I do portions with a daily calorie cap; but I eat more balanced to keep my blood sugar levels balanced too. I usually have 3 meals with 1-2 snacks each day. I like chicken a lot, having it at least 2-3 times a week; lean beef or pork once a week; pasta 1-2 times a week & one meatless, if I can swing it. I try to eat one salad a day and at least 2 veggies; plus 1-2 fruit a day, sometimes cutting an apple or banana in half and having later on in the day.

I like to snack on fruit, yogurt, cheeses, NSA jello pudding, 4 x ww soda crackers, homemade lowcal fiber muffin, or a toast & PB if I'm low on my cals. I love veggie Pita Pizzas and have them about 2-3 times a week for lunch. I like to have a .5 eggwich sandwich w/chz for breakfast 3 x a week, and alternate with cereal 2 times. I like to have a 200 cal bagel & pb on the weekend; and maybe an egg or omelette & 2 slices bacon + 1 slice tst on Sunday.

We have soup often here; either I make it, or I have a cupasoup with a sandwich on my other lunch days. We do have a Friday Fun meal on Friday nights but it must fit into my plan. We eat whole grain most everything. That is my plan in a nutshell, but I vary our favorite healthy dishes each night of the week ... hope that helps you a bit.

EDIT TO ADD: Since you are living at home, you could eat a light breakfast, take a sandwich & fruit for lunch, and eat one serving of the usual dinner at home. Snack healthy; and do some walking around the neighbourhood for starters, to take a break from your studies in the evening. Up to 60 minutes a day is recommended for maintenance but you can work your way up to that ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 01-30-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #3  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Hello,

I am a college student who also lives at home. However, I pay rent, buy my own groceries and cook my own meals.. so basically its like living with roommates. Calorie counting is what works for me. It is something I can maintain in the long run, unlike all of those high protein, low carbs, zero fat diets or w/e else there is. Its always really easy on the budget and I can eat ANYTHING I want! I just have to stay between 1400-1600 calories a day.
I love calorie counting since I can still eat that piece of cake, or those cookies if I want to without feeling guilty!

As for exercises, I am doing the Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred video. It cost me $5 at walmart. Its AWESOME. I hate working out, but the video is only 20 minutes long and because of the intervals, I never feel like I am going to die. I have a heart rate monitor and I average about 180 calories burned within the 20 minutes. It is supposed to be done everyday for 30 days, but my laziness mixed with the fact I also do 1 hour of boxing a week and a 1 hour deep water bootcamp a week causes me to skip days of the 30DS. This workout, along with calorie counting is what really works for me. If I do not work out one day, I just eat around 1400 calories. If I do workout, I will up that to about 1500-1600.

My fav healthy foods include greek yogurt, cucumber sandwiches, celery and cheese-whiz (Okay, I know cheese-whiz isn't considered healthy, but the little amount needed to put on celery hardly puts a dent in my 1400 calorie limit and it tastes sooo good).

Good luck with everything!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:54 PM   #4  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Kaitlyn, welcome, glad to have you join us.Since you've gotten some great answers to your questions I will just suggest you look for a Challenge or Support group to join; small check-in groups make it easier to connect, get involved, and be accountable. We have groups centering around specific diet plans, themes, or age groups, so find one that inspires you and just post to join! Be sure to check out the 20-somethings for a start.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote