Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #1  
Steve

S/C/G: 345/301/250

Height: 6'4"

Default Salutations

Although the title of this website is biased against 1/2 of the population of the planet, there is surprisingly little available on the Internet for men needing to lose weight.

Therefore, in my efforts to find an effective support group, I have wondered aimlessly throughout the Internet only to find myself on your comfy sofa. I have been told that this is a great site for motivation and advice and I'm hoping I can overcome my own insecurities by coming to a website when I am not a 'chick' (although, I am fat.... well, let's just say 'slightly overweight').

Hello....

My name is Steve and I'm an addict....

Although I’m not addicted to cigarettes (I kicked that habit about four years ago) or drugs (haven’t touched those since the 80s) or alcohol (jury’s still out on this one, but I don’t think drinking socially is really being an addict), no my addiction is many, many times lower. I am addicted to food. Not any kind of food however, just the stuff that’s bad for you. Over the summer during a visit to my doctor’s office (annual physical) I was told that I am getting very close to getting diabetes and since I don’t like the idea of sticking myself with needles I thought I should do something about it. He (my doctor) suggested a book by ‘Dr. Joel Fuhrman’ (although I don’t get any commissions for promoting the book, and I don’t know the policies for promoting stuff here so if you want more info, let me know) and after reading this, I discovered how EXTREMELY uneducated I was about nutrition (still extremely uneducated, but at least now I know that I’m uneducated).

You see, before reading this book (and therefore starting my ‘nutrition education’ I thought that since Chicken and Fish were supposed to be a healthier alternative to burgers and fries I was safe going to McHorribles (name changed to protect the not-so-innocent) and ordering the deep fried chicken sandwiches (three of them of course because chicken was good for me). These bad decisions were made over a period of 20+ years to lead me to where I am now (or at least where I was six months ago).

Since then I have lost 40 pounds, but still have a MOUNTIAN go move to get to my goal, but over the last month I have stopped losing weight as I had been previously. So… thinking I’m doing something wrong, I decided to look for additional advice. I’m now tracking my weight, tracking my workouts, tracking my calories (all online) and I’m hoping I can start losing weight again.

I’m also hoping I can find a few good friends that will help to motivate me (and I am happy to motivate as well, I don’t expect a one sided relationship here) and tell me when I have strayed with what I’m doing so I don’t end up having another month where I lose NOTHING (UGH, December was SOOOO depressing).

Thanks for listening (reading) and just keep doing what you know needs to be done and we can race to see who gets to their goal weight first!

~Coldmiser
Coldmiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Hi there Steve and to 3FC =) Happy to have you join us on your journey!

While the name of the site is indeed 3 Fat Chicks, named for the original founders of the site, if you check around you'll find in short time that there are quite a number of regular Roosters (yes, we call them Roosters ) who have parked themselves among us and are supported by and supportive of the other members.

You're certainly not the first male here, and nor will you be the last! No worries. We love seeing all members join and take the steps, or continue the steps to being healthier

Congratulations on making changes, on losing 40 pounds, and on continuing forward! (Even if December wasn't the greatest of months for losing weight, I'm in that same club for sure!)

You might appreciate the Men's Corner to start, but there's also the general support areas, support group areas for losing a certain amount of weight. Under Diet Central there are places to connect with those who are following certain planned programs. There's also an Exercise section to chat about movement, activities, weight-lifting, etc.

There's even a Challenges section, for those who love that "race" against others to keep them motivated

Stay, post, get comfortable! I hope to see you around the boards on your journey and beyond.

Last edited by Lovely; 01-03-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #3  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Steve, welcome, glad to have you join us! Congratulations on the weight you have lost so far! Keep up the good work!
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Welcome Steve (Coldmiser) - from one of the Roosters around here. We're pretty scattered about. Hope you take the time to explore the site to find which group(s) are a good fit.

You're welcome to discuss the book by ‘Dr. Joel Fuhrman’ - either here are in one of the places where specific diets and books are discussed. You're right that promoting is against site rules, but discussions and opinions are the warp and weft of the place.

Have you chosen an eating plan and exercise plan yet?
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:42 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Hello Steve! Welcome to 3FC! There are actually quite a few men who are active here!

You have done amazing so far with your 40lb loss and I'm sure you'll become a wonderful contributor to the forums with your experience thus far.

If you're looking into calorie counting there is a whole forum dedicated to that, so feel free to stop by for some tips and tricks
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #6  
Steve

S/C/G: 345/301/250

Height: 6'4"

Thanks for the encouragement everyone and Lovely, thank you for the link to the Men's Corner.

Bill, thanks for letting me know where I can discuss books too. Sounds like there's a LOT of information on this site, I'm going to have to look around a bit to figure out where to post all of my questions.
Coldmiser is offline   Reply With Quote