Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/211/140

Height: 5'2

Default A girl with sleep apnea in need of a cure

Hello

I am 27 and from NYC. I am at 215 which is my lowest weight in over 4yrs yay me! I need to lose more in order to beat the sleep apnea....at least this is what doctors are now telling me. I have had an MMA surgery and ended up with treach scars bc of it. That helped me lose about 50lbs but sadly I have put it 15 of it back on now that I can eat solid foods again. I am not really sure where to start or what to do so I will be peeking around the site and am open to suggestions and ideas.
sitabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

50lbs lost is amazing. I am not sure what MMA surgery is but there is a forum on this site and they may have some good advice for you. How many calories are you eating now that you are on solid foods again? Are you able to exercise at all? even just a little walking?
We are all here to support you in reaching your goals. Best of luck to you!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:11 AM   #3  

MMA = Double Jaw Surgery They moved both my jaws forward 1cm. The fact they moved the jaws allows me to breathe better so that I account towards losing the 50lbs between that and the nasty liquid diet I was stuck with. I do walk most days at least an hour and as for calories I haven't really counted. My main thing is trying to cut out the soda and that is going pretty well so far. I have a habit of snacking on sweets when I can I can do more in exercise just not sure where to start. I get bored with Yoga and Pilates but I do have the Wii I mess with on occasion
Old 09-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

Hi sita!

that jaw surgery sounds fairly drastic - and PAINFUL! did it take care of the sleep apnea? or do you still have apnea? If you do still have it, I'm a little surprised that they haven't given you a CPAP machine to sleep with. are they telling you that your sleep apnea won't get any better unless/until you lose weight?
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM   #5  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Ouch, Ouch, Ouch. This hurts my mouth just reading about it.
My best advice is to write down everything you read for a week. Even if it is not healthy, write it down. This will give you an idea of how many calories you are eating per day and you adjust them from there. There are many free apps that will help you determine the calorie values for the food you are eating. Many of them can give you a range that you should aim for to lose weight.
Best of luck to you!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 01:59 PM   #6  
EVERY DAY IS A GIFT !!!!!

S/C/G: 263LBS /263 LBS / 210 LBS

Height: 5.9

50 lbs THAT'S GREAT , JUST KEEP AT IT . MY DOCTOR TOLD ME I HAVE SLEEP APNEA , I HAD THAT SLEEPING TEST AND THEY PROVED IT , HE SAYS I NEED TO LOSE THE WEIGHT .

GOOD LUCK YOUR DOING GREAT.
gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #7  

The surgery was truly drastic!! But worth it so far. I went from severe to moderate. I mainly get it when sleeping on my back (thankfully I sleep on my sides) so now they are blaming it on the weight. I have been offered the cpap in the past but refuse to use it. I'm stubborn still. After my recent sleep study showing it got better they want to try a nasal cpap which is interesting so I might try it. Not too sure yet. I will try the writing things I eat and drink down. Hopefully it helps Thanks for your advice an support I appreciate everyone
Old 09-18-2011, 12:58 AM   #8  

Ditto on the sleep apnea and weight. I am hoping it will improve as the weight goes down. I was told to sleep sitting up a bit so if I feel really awful I tend to stack up the pillows and sleep on a 40percent or more incline. Not optimal.

Big congrats on your 50lbs!
Sinoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #9  
Old Cackler

sita - as a sleep apnea survivor, i can absolutely agree that the cpap is a royal pain. BUT, apnea can cause very serious problems up to and including death [and i know you've heard that before].

but i also gotta ask you to look at my stats. see that 97 pounds i lost in about 3 months before the surgery? the docs finally diagnosed my sleep apnea and corected it with a CPAP. the weight flew off of me.

I asked them why - because i sure wasn't moving much! and they said that i finally had a metabolism.

don't get me wrong - i'm not saying for a second that you'll have the same results, but the CPAP just might help and reduce the weight loss struggle.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 200/197/130

Height: 5'0"

Welcome! I don't have sleep apnea, but I am noticing that I am snoring at times and I am sure it is due to my increased weight. Good Luck with your journey!
girlvet is offline   Reply With Quote