Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/250/160

Height: 5'8"

Default Hey!!

Today I started a diet for the umteenth time!! I really want to succeed so I have joined this site to provide support!! Just reading posts are very encouraging to me and I think I have looked at every "minigoal photo"!! I have vowed that I will visit every morning to start my day and get inspired!!

I just turned 50, weigh 290 pounds, and have 3 active boys, 17, 15, 13 that are in every sport they can be. I want to be able to run, play basketball, & have fun with them... I want to get rid of feeling tired all the time, and busting through all my clothes!!

I'm currently having knee problems, torn meniscus....and all I can think of is that if I weighed a lot less, the stress on my joints would not be there!! So at this time, exercise is very sporatic, depending how my knee feels!!

One thing for sure, I feel like this is going to be the time I will stick to the diet....but then again I have thought that before.......
If anyone has any tricks to stay focused please let me know!!
Thanks,
Lulu
lulu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to 3FC =)

Glad to have you with us!

A brief idea. Forget about calling it a diet. Instead, think of it as changes. Diets are temporary. Changes are ... changes. They're things we aim to do for the rest of our lives.

For example, let's say that you want to increase the number of vegetables and fruits you eat. (A very healthy thing to do!) You go along, and for the first week you do splendidly, but then one day during the second week you are a little short of your goal for the day. You wouldn't just quit and stop trying to add in more fruits and vegetables, you'd say "Oh well" and then go back to adding in more the next day as usual. That's a change. A permanent one.

That's not to say it doesn't take any effort, but we don't have to crash and burn if we make a little mistake.

You can do this! You might want to join in on some of the daily chat threads around the boards to keep you coming back.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 326.7/321.7/160

Height: 5'4"

Hi lulu! I just joined here the other day :-)

We have pretty similar goals . . . I completely understand the knee pains! I have two suggestions on exercise, if you're interested . . . one is the Wii Fit. It's my main exercise routine right now. I love it because it makes it very easy to go at my own pace, but it keeps me moving and involved even when I'm not doing the high impact workouts. After just a week of doing it every day, I have already noticed less pain in my back and knees!

The second is water aerobics. This is actually on my to do list . . . I need to find one and join. I've known about it being easier to workout in water for years, but kind of forgot about it until I took my daughter to the beach last week. I spent an hour with her in the ocean and felt no pains at all . . . not even when we got out!

I totally agree with everything Lovely said too!
DayleLynne is offline   Reply With Quote