Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/175/139

Height: 5'5"

Default 175 pounder and not too proud of it

Hi anyone and everyone,

I am brand new to this site. I had a 60+ hour a week job a year ago, and was 155 pounds. I quit my job. I thought I'd be able to lose weight with all the free time I had, but I actually gained 20 pounds in just 5 months. I am too shy to go to a gym, but I do enjoy running once I get out there and start. I just don't live in a safe neighborhood to run. Does anyone have any advice or words of motivation?
lajpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:40 PM   #2  
Stay with me

S/C/G: 240/235/120

Height: 5'3"

I would try going to Planet Fitness, if there is one around you. They have a judgement free motto that they really do stick to. And remember that no one can make you feel bad about yourself but you. So if you want to walk in there confident and proud that you are making the effort to change something that you aren't pleased with then people are going to notice that. If you walk in thinking that you don't measure up to everyone else people will notice that as well. If you really don't want to go to a gym try finding dvd's of workout routines or try looking on youtube for them. I found a great one for belly dancing that was totally fun and made me feel great. Hope that helps!
rubyred7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #3  

You're right. It's not just my weight I need to work on, it's self esteem too. I appreciate your reply. Checking right now to see if there a Planet Fitness close by!
Old 01-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 185/ See Ticker /133

Height: 5'1

Welcome to the site!

I would say don't worry about what you think other people at the gym are thinking. They are either there to lose weight themselves or there to maintain good physical fitness, either way they will acknowledge that you are trying to make a change for yourself. I go to the gym by myself everyday and when I first went there I was scared of how everyone would view me but no one really paid me any mind ... They were way too focused on themselves and now I go there with a smile and just feel like I am in my own world.

Try a free trial at Planet Fitness, Ballys, or 24hour Fitness and see which gym you feel more comfortable in OR workout in the comfort of your own home.
DiamondAries21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #5  

Thanks DiamondAries. Found a Curves close by, think I'll go and check it out tomorrow. I'll keep in mind your advice and appreciate it.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #6  
Stay with me

no prob! They have a 30 minute express workout that is amazing, that works your whole body. My bf and I are starting to go back to the gym this week after I do not like the way my clothes are fitting. I work in a hotel and sweets, cookies, and all kinds of snacks a readily available all the time. But I know that I can resist them!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:06 PM   #7  

RubyRed, I know what you mean. I've got a horrible horrible sweet tooth. (And I love to bake...ack!) I'll resist them though, if you resist them.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #8  

I have a degree in Nutrition and still have a very hard time controlling what I eat. Ok, it's out there...now I'm embarrased.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:25 PM   #9  
Stay with me

It's not that a crave them it's just that they are there. So I eat them, it's the same thing with salty stuff. But I am at work now and I haven't eaten anything like that today! The only sweet thing I had was a 90 calorie special k bar!
Old 01-23-2011, 07:27 PM   #10  
Stay with me

I've been on diets most of my life and I know from experince that depriving yourself completely never works, so it's ok to have hot fudge sundae every once in a while, it's the 2-3 candy bars or cookies a day that will do you in. So I will resist the everyday eating of sweets. I only ever really crave them around my period anyway. Hope you found the Planet fitness!
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 175+/113/120

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lajpr View Post
Hi anyone and everyone,

I am brand new to this site. I had a 60+ hour a week job a year ago, and was 155 pounds. I quit my job. I thought I'd be able to lose weight with all the free time I had, but I actually gained 20 pounds in just 5 months. I am too shy to go to a gym, but I do enjoy running once I get out there and start. I just don't live in a safe neighborhood to run. Does anyone have any advice or words of motivation?
I was in your exact spot at this very same time last year. I started with just simple walking. Today I weigh 114....a loss of over 60 pounds. You can do it! If you can't walk in your neighborhood then possibly you could walk or jog on a route in your community. Good Luck!
sisypheanme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:58 PM   #12  

It's so great to know I'm not alone in this! Hereing you say, that you were in my exact same spot just made me feel so much better.

So I ruled out Curves. I wanted a gym that had more cardio equipment. I found a great gym close to my house and sat down with the owner to go over some things. He was really supportive and seemed to really care. He also showed me how to use some of the "machines" that I had never tried before. My arms might hurt tomorrow, but that means I'm getting somewhere. Thanks, you three for all the encouragement. I can't tell you how much it helps.