Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-29-2010, 11:50 PM   #1  
moving chick

S/C/G: 310/ticker/200

Height: 5'3

Red face newbie and in extreme need of help!!

Hi everyone Ok so i have a horrble problem here. So i recently started my dieting and exercising about a week ago. I do a leslie sansone walk away the pounds. I hear that doign weight training is good for overweight people. Im 287 or so and that would be great to do whatever I can. But, I get so discouraged because I live on a hwy and things are far away. No transportation so no job. no job means no money for a gym. and on top of that its been snowing for going outside for a walk when we live on a huge slope means slipping and sliding and breaking bones xD, yeah don't want that to happen. Im 19 and i just wish there are other ways to help lose weight around the house. Please... helpp???
lisha91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:21 AM   #2  
Tai

S/C/G: 272/111/Maintaining

Height: 5'4"

Welcome to 3fc's! I think the Leslie Sansone dvd's are a great start. You could also get a resistance band and do various exercises with that as well inside the house.

Hang in there; this weather won't last forever!
Tai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 203.6 / 200.8 / 115

Height: 5'2"

Hi lisha,

I'm in a similar boat in that the weather is horrible, and I'm not too anxious to go out. I'd recommend getting some free weights and workout DVD and starting with that. I used an old Denise Austin tape, and it kicked my butt. You can also try resistance bands or even a couple of heavy soup cans. If you have cable with OnDemand, you also have access to free workout videos on there. I wanted to buy Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, but I found it on cable for free. Your local library also will have some workout videos on hand.

I'm not a gym person, so I try to get a good workout at home without all of the expensive equipment. It can be done, but you have to be creative.

Welcome to the boards!
Sasha29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #4  
moving chick

thanks. yeah Cans... we have plenty of those xD Yeah so Gotta schedule an appointment to the doctors to see how im doing and beg to get a new scale to weigh myself. Yeah ill probably go to the library on sunday or monday. check out and see what they have really means a lot. oh and nowadays since ive been doing these excercises and i eat i get hungry again really fast... should i fill up on water or find some kind of heathy snack? if i dnt find something to fill it in with my stomach hurts to the point where i feel sick. :| and i eat enough (proportioned) and feel full so thats not a problem. and ideas?
Old 12-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #5  
kaw

S/C/G: 159-ish/145/140-ish

Height: 5' 8.75"

There are a lot of bodyweight exercises, too: squats, lunges, pushups, situps, planks, burpees, etc. Search 'bodyweight routine' or something similar. All these exercises have various progressions for people starting out in the untrained state. Take it slow at first, and as you get stronger, add repetitions or move to the next progression (e.g., instead of incline pushups -- against a wall -- do pushups on your knees).

This will help a tiny bit in burning calories, but losing weight is mostly diet. If you're getting hungry, try substituting lean protein for carbs, keeping the total calorie count the same (i.e., a deficit, to lose weight). Studies show that eating fat & carbs help w/ short-term satiety, but protein helps w/ longer-term satiety -- i.e., it sticks with you longer.

good luck!

// b. strong
kaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:56 PM   #6  
moving chick

thanks so much i will be sure to do whatever I can to lost this weight.... thanks again
Old 12-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #7  
Weddings...ugh!

S/C/G: 198/198/150

Height: 5'7''

I find squats and lunging to be the most efficient exercise. I especially like (hate) lunging down the hallways...we call them our "catwalk". You don't need weights if you can't go get them now. I found that I spent a TON of money on workout stuff I never used. I find plenty of items around the house I can lift like laundry detergent. Look around and use what you've got!
TexasAlli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:44 PM   #8  
moving chick

Yeah i did a strength training....squats,pushups, lunges, and planks or whatever its called... nonstop 2 times.. i almost died lol. Im learning my limit i just know itll be a matter of time before i get a routine going and going to bed early to wake up early enough to workout and all that. But i definitely know what i want to do i just hope food doesnt win in the long run... no one to help you is a bummer but thank you all for your support.... it helps