Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/265/185

Height: 5'11"

Default Hi, hope I'm not out of place...

So, given the name of the site, and most of the user names I've seen, seems this might be a female only site, and if that's the case, I apologize I've been looking over dozens of sites in the past few days, and I really like how active this one is, and how nice everyone seems to be. I will give a intro, and if I am in the wrong place, if anyone has the urls of some good sites, would be greatly appreciated.

My name is Josh. I'm 34 and in the worst shape of my life. 10 years ago, I was living large, weighing around 190lbs, with only 6% body fat. I was working out 5 days a week, and was just high on life. Then I got married. I slowly started going downhill. Went through a bad depression stage a couple years ago, and long story short, I am weighing 265 now, and would be terrified to know my body fat %. I have 2 wonderful boys, ages 6 and 10. I want nothing more than to be able to keep up with them, play sports with them, etc. I am becoming "that dad", that just sits and watches. Mainly because of my self image, but also because physically, I can't keep up. About a week ago, after a week long beach trip, I woke up and said to myself, "That's it, I have to change!" I have said that before, but this time really feels different. Like this post for example, I have never gone onto forums like this seeking help and support from people. Picked up a bike last week, and in the last 5 days, have rode, 4 miles, 5 miles, 6 miles, 5 miles and today I did 10 miles. I have re-activated my gym membership, and plan to begin back on Monday.

My short term goal, is just dropping weight. Whatever way possible (without being stupid). My long term goal is to get back into the shape I was in, 10 years ago. I attached pics of 10 yrs ago, and now. I look at them, and feel physically ill. It's hard to comprehend letting myself go like this, especially since I was so into weights and exercise back then. I know a lot about exercising and lifting weights and have no doubt in myself of being able to figure out a routine for myself. The biggest problem I am going to face now is food. Not that I binge eat or anything, but trying to figure out the best foods for me for my short term goals. Cut carbs or no? How many calories a day? In my days of lifting, is was pretty simple. Cram yourself full of protein and supplements, and lift hard.

So, I know this has been a wall of text, but I feel I am finally ready to get my life back, and was just looking for somewhere to share that, and people that are in the same frame of mind. Again, I hope I'm posting on a Co-Ed board, but if not, please pardon the intrusion.

Ok, just realized I can't post any pics till 25 post count, so will wait till then.
Josh W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:58 PM   #2  
weight, be gone!

S/C/G: 227/191/125

Height: 5' 4"

Hi, Josh, and welcome!!
You are absolutely in the right place, there are quite a few guys around here. I know the name can be misleading, but if you really think about it, a chick means either variety.... baby hens or baby roosters!
Congrats on the family, and taking the first step on getting your health back. I too, decided that I could no longer be unhealthy. This is really a great place for us to be, there are a lot of experienced people here, tons of inspiration, recipes, and places to vent.
Glad you're here, new weight loss buddies are most welcome!!
lolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 340/323/165

Height: 5'11

Hi Josh,

Welcome to 3FC! 3FC is certainly not a strictly female place. We have a handful of gentlemen among us.

Congratulations on taking the first step of realizing what you want, and need to accomplish. You've chosen a wonderful place to do so. I know that this place is what made me realize that I can reach my goals.

The users here are so friendly, understanding and supportive. If you stick with us, you'll be well on your way to running around with your sons for years to come. You'll feel better about yourself, look your best, and most important, you'll make yourself healthy.

So again, welcome, and good luck! We can do this!!

Stacey
lostinstaticx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 455/434.5/225

Height: 6'3''

Hey Josh...i'm a guy and it's funny but i was just about to put out a post looking for all the guys on the site...the women here are great chicks indeed. Very nice folks here and the info is priceless! WELCOME
TheRightWeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW 17 GW 10.5

Height: 5ft6

Hey
torie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #7  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Welcome Josh! Doesn't matter your gender - you're still hatching out to a new and better life! And all the "chicks" here are a great resource and support team.

As for which plan - the great thing is you can try one for a while and if it doesn't seem to be working for you you can give another a go. And there's a lot of cross-plan stuff happening here too. Many of us calorie counters tend toward lower carbs - not true "low carb" but lower - for example. Each type of diet has a group here so you can get support no matter where you go.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 193/177/150

Height: 5'10"

I feel the same way Josh, we'll get there!!!
Destinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:26 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 291.2/287.7/250

Height: 5'2

Welcome to 3FC! Plenty of support from everyone on here and male or female we like support ourselves. So good luck with your weight loss hope you stay here and share your progress!
mommy1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #10  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Welcome Josh! All people who are looking to lose weight and change their lifestyle are welcome here! My only word of caution would be to be sure when taking advice or lurking on the forums to remember that you are male. Since many of us are female our knowledge is that of what works for women when it comes to weight loss. In general, weight loss is weight loss, but when it comes to things like calories gender plays a big role. Other than that, you'll find tons of advice and support to get you on your way! Good luck!
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:04 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 265/265/185

Height: 5'11"

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Glad to know this is for all kinds of chicks/roosters. Looking forward to making some friends and just being part of a healthy community! Thanks again!
Josh W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:14 PM   #12  
Aspiring Loser

Height: 5'9

Hello Josh and welcome!

I have a very similar story as well, I was very in shape, into working out and eating right (after having lost 100 lbs previously) and after getting married and having twins I started packing on weight until I was much heavier than I had ever been.

I have only been on this board a short time, but in that time I have found everyone to be very helpful and supportive.. I am sure you will as well!
mamadoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:22 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Height: 5'5"

Welcome!
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #14  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welome Josh W.

Welcome Josh (Josh W) to 3 Fat Chicks from one of the many males who frequent here. Glad you've joined us.

Sounds like you've made an organized start with your cycling, and a rather moderate calorie goal. I wouldn't be surprised if you decided that 1800 calories was too low for your body weight and amount of exercise. However, that said, it's common practice around here to remember that we're each an experiment of one and that you're stuck with trial and error to find out what's right for you.

Good luck finding your path. Hope to see you around on the different threads.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:35 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to the site, Josh!!! We welcome everybody here...male and female. Whenever I tell people about this site I always say "don't let the name fool ya." LOL
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote