3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Support Forum > Introductions

Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

My friend joined WeightNot - I'm worried...

Old 07-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #1

Height: 5 2"

Exclamation My friend joined WeightNot - I'm worried...

Hi everyone!

One of my close friends just started Reveal WeightNot and I'm worried about her. It sounds horrible and VERY unhealthy! She only eats 500 calories a day and has to give herself daily injections.

We are both in the process of losing weight...my way, calorie counting, is just too slow for her. I don't want to come off as overly negative (even though I am) when she talks about it, but I know this is REALLY bad for her health. How do I approach this as a friend who cares about her health?
getnslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Well as a friend all you can do is be there for her, let her know your concerns and show her this website which can help her make healthy food choices and lifestyle changes
Old 07-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

SOunds horrid.

Lap RNY 2/12/07- weightloss: 163 lbs; 306 SW; 143 CW
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:56 PM   #4

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

Oh wow that sounds INSANE! What are these injections and what do they do? Is this recommended by her Dr.??

With 500 calories I'd be passed out on the floor :P

Perhaps you could suggest Weight Watchers or another healthier plan to follow??

****Angela****

Last edited by angelanicole23 : 07-30-2010 at 04:00 PM.
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:00 PM   #5
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 242/214.8/146

Height: 5'2"

I googled it and it sounds absolutely horrendous. It's the sort of thing that shouldn't be allowed.
O - you can only share your concerns with your friend - and by showing by your own WOE and lifestyle and results that yours is a healthier way.

Dukan & divin'.....
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Maintaining

S/C/G: 190/139/130

Height: 5'5.5"

I know someone who did that as well, through a different program. She stuck it out for the entire 8 week program, then took her four week break, did another eight weeks. She is off the program now. She did lose a good bit of weight, I'll give it that, but she didn't learn how to maintain and has regained a good bit of weight. I couldn't talk her out of it, all I could do was support her and keep an eye on her while she was in the process. I gave her resources, and have been there when she has asked questions about maintenance after surviving the original cycle. I worker very hard to not alienate her so she would have somewhere to go for support if it didn't work. That is likely all you can do for your friend. That and keep your eyes open to try to help keep her safe. I know it is hard to watch. Good luck to her, and to you.

Oh, and FYI - the injections that this diet uses are banned from discussion on 3FC, I don't think this thread seems supportive of it, but if you search for the injection type you won't find much on here.

Last edited by Shannon in ATL : 07-30-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
~Determined Girlie~

S/C/G: ---/---/175

Height: 5' 11"

I would work really hard not to be judgementive, but i'd find it hard to support that; the concept of self injecting for anything other than medical need (i.e. insulin dependent diabetes) is crazy to me... Doesnt that suggest the diet is not healthy...?

My other concern, as has already been mentioned, is that she really wont likely learn anything about healthy eating, weight management or maintenance, so even if she does get the weight off, it's unlikely to stay off long term..
livingfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome and good luck!

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Burn It!

S/C/G: 310.6/310.6/155

Height: 5'8

Sounds like the plan my friend did, she lost 55lbs in a bit under 4 months last year. She ended up stopping before getting to goal because it was too expensive, and has kept the weight off and lost a few more pounds with a more sensible/normal diet. I was concerned as well but luckily she wasn't on it too long and didn't have any ill effects.

Overall:
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #10

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

Wow, I'm hearing a lot about this one these days, it just scares me, endlessly how we treat our bodies . Honestly, I agree with everyone, there isn't much you can say other than lead by example, inspiration and walking the walk are the best ways to get others to follow. Hopefully she won't have ill effects from treating her body like that. It's really sad what we will pay other people to do to us in the name of skinny.

Twitter: @Rita_Barry_.

Weight - May 14-December 23, 2009

Starting weight: 223lbs
Ending weight: 140lbs

Maintenance: 1 year and counting!
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:00 PM   #11

Height: 5 2"

Thanks for all of the input! After doing alittle more research, I still think it's a messed up way to lose weight but no one has died from it (yet). Although, I bet you could end up with a really screwed up metabolism!

Thanks again!
getnslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
Exercise-addicted

S/C/G: 248

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by getnslim View Post
Hi everyone!

One of my close friends just started Reveal WeightNot and I'm worried about her. It sounds horrible and VERY unhealthy! She only eats 500 calories a day and has to give herself daily injections.

We are both in the process of losing weight...my way, calorie counting, is just too slow for her. I don't want to come off as overly negative (even though I am) when she talks about it, but I know this is REALLY bad for her health. How do I approach this as a friend who cares about her health?
I agree with everyone. I've never heard of WeightNot personally. Maybe i've been closeted, but tell her or suggest kindly that maybe it is better to join a more widespread diet system like Weight Watchers or The Atkins Diet. Good luck hon.
serenityh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #13

Default different weight not plan

I know this thread is older, but I ran across it today and wanted to post some information.

First, I hope your friend is doing okay, the injections and 5oo cal diet is completely crazy and not healthy form a physiology standpoint.

That said, I've actually been researching Weight not with my primary care physician and the program I'm being offered is nothing like what was described here. While it is restrictive, it is not unreasonable and does not require any shots.

For a 60 day program, they have a request for no alcohol, no added sugars and no simple carbs, but some complex carbs and whole grains. They are providing 24/7 counseling, shopping suggestions (especially promoting locally grown produce) and recipes. They provide a food scale so that you can learn about proportions. The calorie count is low, but still managable, and since I already participate in intensive exercise, they are personally modifying my nutritional suggestions to support that. During this time, for a person like me, the likely wieght loss is about 2 lbs per week, well within recommended guidelines.

following this is a 30 day transition up to a slightly higher calorie count where they teach you how to work back in those extra treats in a managable way and add exercise if need be. But overall goal appears to try to show you how to shop, cook and eat right for a balanced diet.

It sounds to me like their original program was ridiculously extreme and maybe they have gotten back to a more healthy version that really focuses on changing your lifestyle and maintaining healthy habits over time.

I hope that this is what everyone is striving to do, not just lose wieght, but become healthier overall. still, I encourage anyone to really grill people hard about whatever approach they are going to try and make sure it is right and healthy for them.
scimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:39 PM   #14

S/C/G: 263/Ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

That sounds really scary!
Xaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.