Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-20-2010, 11:29 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/298/150

Height: 5'6"

Unhappy New. Helpless. Hi!

Hello...
I'm huge. I know that might sound "off" or weird to some of you, but that's the bottom line. I am huge, and unhealthy.
Where do I begin?
I've only ever REALLY dieted ONCE, and that was Atkins. I lost 50lbs in 90 days - looked great, but once I stopped, it came back twice as fast and twice as much.

I'm as big and I've ever been, and feel disgusting. I can't seem to get motivated.

I also can't seem to give up sweets and soda.
I'm a diabetic, which doesn't help matters.

How does one find the motivation to get going on a new life?
McSween9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #2  
Healthy is Beautiful

S/C/G: 214/144/160

Height: 5"8

Well, you sound fed up, which was a good starting place for me. Motivation can be hard to come by initially and until you see results, but I've found that making small changes and giving myself mini goals to strive for helps a lot. Also, you might not necessarily want to start off thinking in terms of the rest of your life...that can be daunting. Of course you want to make long term lifestyle changes, but there's nothing wrong with a little trial and error. Tell yourself, "I will do _________ for two weeks. At the end of the two weeks, I can reevaluate or try something else." You can do anything for two weeks and will probably want to keep going at the end of that time frame!

Good luck, you CAN do this and we are all here for support and encouragement! I'm glad you decided to join.
ThicknPretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:59 AM   #3  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Welcome. Since Chicks can be overwhelming at first, I suggest you look for a support group or challenge to join; a small group of friends to help keep you motivated. Find one you like that fits your needs, or inspires you, and just post to join.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 227/195/135

Height: 5'4

Hey McSween. Welcome to 3FC. When I need motivation I ask myself if I'd be happy stopping here. If the answer is no, the only solution is for me to keep trying to lose weight and get fit.

I count calories and that may work for you too, being diabetic, as there are no restricted foods. I started by using thedailyplate.com and getting a cheapo kitchen scale to track how many calories I was actually eating for a month or two. Then I used their calculator to determine how many calories I should be eating for my size. I tried to stick to that and maintain for a few months until I felt ready to lower my calories and start losing. Other people probably would not want to waste as much time as I did to get started, but that's one site that can help to get you on the right track.

There are a lot of different plans on here though and I'm sure some more members will be along to offer suggestions. It's ultimately something you have to want for yourself, but we'll be here to root for you.
ricepapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC.

We have a diabetic section here if you would like to check it out - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/diabetes-support-203/

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #6  
CanadianVeggie

S/C/G: 207.7/207.7/150

Hi and Welcome to 3FC!

You will plenty of support, motivation and inspiration here to help you reach your goals!

Best of Luck!
L R K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:37 PM   #7  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Default Welcome

Glad you are here and this place is great to help you realize and achieve your goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSween9 View Post
Hello...
I'm huge. I know that might sound "off" or weird to some of you, but that's the bottom line. I am huge, and unhealthy.
Where do I begin?
I've only ever REALLY dieted ONCE, and that was Atkins. I lost 50lbs in 90 days - looked great, but once I stopped, it came back twice as fast and twice as much.

I'm as big and I've ever been, and feel disgusting. I can't seem to get motivated.

I also can't seem to give up sweets and soda.
I'm a diabetic, which doesn't help matters.

How does one find the motivation to get going on a new life?
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:44 PM   #8  
Overly self-confident?!

S/C/G: 240/229/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Motivation for a new life?

Oh, wow. That's a great question. So many things I've done in my life have been because I had to be better than everyone else (academics, career, you name it). Being healthy is all about me, and it's not a competition, so I'm often lost on how to proceed day by day.

One of the posters recommended trying something for two weeks, and then deciding whether or not to keep going with it. I think that's really sound advice. Are there particular sweets or sodas that just call your name? Coke is a biggie for me -- it was there all the time, at every meal, when I was growing up. Now, as an adult, I don't buy any sodas at all -- there are none in my house. When I go out, I'm so excited I get to have a Coke that it's pretty embarassing. I look kind of like a junkie getting a fix: "High fructose corn syrup and caramel coloring! That's it, that's it, just like that!" (Ok, honestly, it's not embarassing for me. It's just embarassing for my dinner companions and confusing for the waitstaff.)
SmilingAtTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 288/235/190

I know exactly how you feel. When you have over 100 pounds that you feel you need to lose, it seems unsurmountable. I was counting the weeks thinking I would be an old lady by the time I got to a "decent" size. When the weight loss slowed down to a pound every two weeks, I got frustrated. I wanted ice cream (my favorite), McDonald's (another favorite) and all sweets. I asked myself what was the purpose of living if I couldn't have any joy in food.

Now that I am approaching the maintenance stage and have almost reached that goal that seemed unattainable, I am happy beyond belief. I get to shop in almost any store I want, I am not afraid to get on a plane, I can walk to the parking structure without back pains.

If you want to lose the weight, you can do it. Just don't stop trying. If you have an out of control meal, entire day or even month, just take a step back and get back into your cycle. YOU ARE WORTH IT and it can most defintely be done.

Good luck with your journey!
tlynn1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 PM   #10  
for my family...

S/C/G: 210/188.2/160

Height: 5'5" age~ 39

HI and welcome.. IM pretty new too! You sound ready to me..just one day at a time one meal at a time..if you fall..get right back up! dont quit! think of the end result you have to picture it in your mind. YOu have to BELIEVE you can do it!! I READ A POST ABOUT THIS LADY WHO STARTED OUT HER EXERCISES WALKIN Up AND DOWN HER HALLWAY FOR 30 MIN NEXT THING SHE WAS JOGGING DOWN HER STREET...Look at the goal before and after pictures and join a challenge! GET MOTIVATED!! GOOD LUCK!!

Last edited by jensmith72; 07-20-2010 at 04:19 PM. Reason: MISS SPELLED WORDS
jensmith72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 04:56 PM   #11  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

3FC was a great motivator for me.
Good luck.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:41 AM   #12  
All Hail The Queen

S/C/G: 186.2/166.8/140

Height: 5'8"

Welcome and good luck!

Dhani
DhaniCauldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 01:34 AM   #13  

Height: 5'9"

Hi McSween. I am also new to the forum but everyone seems to be very lovely and supportive people and can hopefully offer you some motivation!

I think coming to the forum and writing that introduction is a step in the right direction. Good luck with your goals
coleb is offline   Reply With Quote