Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:25 AM   #16  
No more +sizes

Height: 5'4"

Just one question from me...Am I understanding you correctly that what is appealing to you is the one meal a day at night?
jigglefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 12:50 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 295/290/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi BibBob.

I am Deb and I am also pretty new here as well. I was looking for websites/forums that focus on people who are overweight and looking for help/support from others going through the same things when I found this site.

Anyway, welcome to the site and I wish you all the best that life has to offer.

Deb (I love this little carrot guy! LOL!)
saltymama57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:33 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 204/190.4/134

Height: 5ft 6in

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibBob View Post
Hns?

I had to google it several times and reword it but I fianally came up with:
health & nutrition systems. I believe it's a carb cutter.
guttergirl78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #19  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

thanks again, GG.

Hey Deb. Thanks for the thoughts and that's a terrific carrot.

jigglefree-- Yes. No breakfast or lunch (light snacking if needed), and eat what you want at night within an agreed upon menu of foods. It's called the Warrior Diet. It attacks the metabolism myth of eating several times a day. Go to bodybuilder forums and you'll find the "increasers" trying to get big have great results with multiple meals. It's so obvious it makes me laugh. But you will also find the "decreasers" do not have much luck with multiple meals. Metabolism isn't really cranked up by eating all day, certainly not to any degree that is going to help with major weight loss. You just eat more. I may cause some debate with this and I will find the research if necessary, but losing weight by eating many meals a day seems like a great way to sell a ton of supplements to me because instead of cooking six meals people on those plans make shakes in lieu of meals -- not a very good way to lose weight FOR ME.

I bumped the Warrior Diet thread around here somewhere yesterday. I think it was in the LAWS forum, another acronym mystery

Anyway, I have agreed to try a simple calorie counter to get started -- starting tomorrow.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #20  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Hns? That's a new one to me. Here's one for your collection. HTH - hope this helps.

Bob. Stick around and join in wherever you like.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:23 PM   #21  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
I may cause some debate with this and I will find the research if necessary, but losing weight by eating many meals a day seems like a great way to sell a ton of supplements to me because instead of cooking six meals people on those plans make shakes in lieu of meals -- not a very good way to lose weight FOR ME.
I eat 6 to 8 times a day, with nary a shake nor a supplement in sight. I think people often go to packaged foods when they are eating frequently, or even when they are not, because packaged foods are easy and save time and mental energy. Although I spend very little mental energy on my food, because I eat the same stuff a lot, and have been doing so for 2 years. I also don't spend a lot of time on my food, because a lot of it is just raw stuff--citrus fruits, apples, almonds, spinach, carrots, and grape tomatoes take no prep time at all.

Personally, I would not be able to eat just once or twice per day, because I have significant issues with blood sugar control. It's just not a tenable lifestyle for me. For other people, a Warrior-type or IF schedule works well, however.

My point is--it's entirely possible to lose weight eating frequently, or gain weight eating frequently...or to lose weight eating infrequently, or to gain weight eating infrequently. The key is to figure out what works best for you and will best help you stay in a calorie range that leads to weight loss. The theories are all well and good, but if a philosophy of eating doesn't physically work for the individual, then sticking to the philosophy is folly.

Edited to add: Also, welcome And you might be interested in our 100-Pound Club subforum, where many of us who have / did have 100+ pounds to lose hang out: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/

Last edited by WarMaiden; 04-20-2010 at 05:44 PM.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #22  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Hey Sara, thank you and no arguments for me. Whatever works. Diabetes is strong in my family and there's no way everyone can go without food the way that diet I like suggests. I wish I could eat like you, but it hasn't worked for me in the past. I'll come check out that 100 pound forum soon. Even that 300 pounder I saw. I qualify for all of 'em baby!

Seriously. This site is already helping me. Pretty awesome. It's a shame I didn't seek a little 'intelligent' conversation and 'understanding' support a couple years ago when I tried hard and failed.

That's a sweet ticker you have there. Great job.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:00 PM   #23  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
That's a sweet ticker you have there. Great job.
Why thank you, sir. I'm proud of what I've accomplished so far, and also what my husband has accomplished with my gentle (mostly ) encouragement--he too has lost about 80 pounds and experienced a whole bunch of health and life improvements.

If I could give you only one suggestion, as a person with a family history of diabetes and so on--it would be to cut out white / refined stuff. Sugar, flour, rice, potatoes, corn, all that. It would not surprise me if just by making that one change you could lose 20 or more pounds in the first month, and be well on your way to feeling massively better and fixing your mobility issues. (Your hunger and cravings would be gone as well.)

Cutting out white / refined stuff (largely in the form of Coke) was the first thing I asked my husband to do, and the changes for him were huge.

It sounds really impossible to do at first, however, as I suggested to him--what about trying it for just 30 days? Then if you don't like it and want to go back to consuming white / refined stuff, there's no harm done, and you'll have at least learned something.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #24  

How appropriate Bob... Think about it... When you DO lose the weight, you will no longer be "big" Bob so that name wouldn't fit, anyway. However, BIBBOB will always be funny and meaningful!!! )

I am new to this site, as well. I hope that we can all provide support for each other!

Best of Luck!
LucyLoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #25  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Welcome (Bib)Bob!

This is a great place to hang with like minded folks. I've found it helps so much! I post every day and many times come here and say hello instead of eating bad stuff.

Best Wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #26  
Biker Chick!

S/C/G: 169/152/145

Height: 5' 5"

Hi and welcome to 3FC Did you find out that LAWL is L.A. Weight Loss? and you will probably run into "kwim" - Know What I Mean? and "fwiw" - For What It's Worth and "ymmv" - Your Mileage May Vary
VermontMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #27  
5lbs fat vs 5 lbs muscle

Height: 5'6

Hello Bob I completely understand your frustrations in the first post in more ways than one. Welcome to 3fatchicks
MrsDawsondn is offline   Reply With Quote