Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-14-2010, 03:50 PM   #1  

Default Southern Newbie

Hello Everyone,

This is the first time I have ever posted anything anywhere, but I think this is a good place to start. I am trying to lose a lifetime of weight I have been carrying around, I want to have a baby with my wonderful husband and thus far have been unable to. I never thought that being overweight could have an effect on one of the most basic things in life that a woman could want. My husband and I have been married going on three years soon, and in that time, we have never used contraception, I thought perhaps it was because I was on BC for so long and quite frankly was scared to go to a doctor for a long time. This past week I went, and was pretty bluntly told it was because I was obese. I wonder sometimes if a doctor thinks about what he says to people and how they say it, when they look at you and tell you that you need to lose weight do they really think that you do not know that, that you want to be this way, that you haven't tried everything under the sun (some healthy, some not) to lose weight. Anyway, I am really glad that I stumbled on this website, I read some other peoples bio's and posts, and I already felt better, I didn't feel alone with this problem anymore even though I do not know anyone here. Sorry for the long winded post!
KewpieDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:01 PM   #2  

Welcome to 3fc! Where in the South are you from?

Doctors can be quite cruel sometimes, and I'm sorry that he didn't have the respect to be a bit more compassionate about giving you the news.

I've only been posting on here for a few weeks and I'm just about down an entire size! You're going to make a lot of friends and have a lot of support. Have you thought about how you are going to change your lifestyle in order to shed the pounds? Are you following any sort of plan? Eating change? Workouts? Is your husband going to participate with you?

I'll pray for you that you'll be able to get healthy and be able to conceive. I'm a couple of years behind you in terms of wanting to have a child, but, I'm pretty sure that at my current weight, it would be difficult if not impossible to conceive, so we can be buddies if you'd like! Maybe down the road we'll even be pregnant at the same time!

Again welcome... you will not regret joining 3fc, it's already made a world of difference for me. :O)
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/260/140

Height: 5'0"

Welcome to the site!

Doctors can be really cruel sometimes. I suggest asking friends who they recommend. It's important to find a doctor who is supportive and also understands your lifestyle. Having someone treat you like garbage while you are going to them to fix something.

Good luck! This place is super supportive.
MidgieMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 07:59 PM   #4  

Thank-you both for your kind words, it helps.

I am living in VA right now but I am from AL, we just moved here and it has been so hard not knowing another soul besides my husband. He is going to do the weight loss thing with me, we have been on a "diet" for about two weeks, and I have lost some weight. He however is one of those people that drops like three pants sizes in a week, so I am a bit frustrated. I am happy that he is helping me though.

I have been thinking about joining curves to lose weight and meet people, does anyone recommend?
Old 04-15-2010, 11:03 AM   #5  

I'm personally not a fan of Curves, but that's probably because I don't follow structure well They'll let you do a circuit for free so you can see if it's a program you'd like. I have no idea how you'd meet people because it's a constant shifting from one machine to the other.

Granted, this is my experience THREE YEARS ago, so maybe things have changed?

Does your town have a park district that offers fitness classes? Or a fitness center? Might be something to look into. I don't mean to try to deter you from Curves... please go check it out for yourself. You may love it, which would be fantastic!!

Don't get frustrated over your husband's loss. You gotta view yourselves as a team. He may rock at the sprint, but you're in it for the marathon... and he's the motivation you need now, and I'm sure you'll be the one to push him down the road when his weight loss plateaus and the pounds start to melt off of you.

Good luck!

Last edited by redsox33; 04-15-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #6  

See a lot of people have told me that about curves, that is why I haven't been before now. We live in a college town, my husband is getting his Ph D, which is why we moved here, but ALL of the local gyms, the towns, and private gyms are just bombarded with college kids. I just couldn't bring myself to work out in a place like that with tons of people, I would just be to ashamed.
I am really looking for ideas that I can do at home, is there a thread on here for that, I mean like do this for x amount of minutes and such. I walk but there is only so much walking you can do.

Thank-you again for the motivation, and the heads up!
Old 04-15-2010, 09:31 PM   #7  

Spring semester should be ending soon, so the crowds of students will hopefully dissipate. There are SO many programs out there on the internet, and here on the forums. You may want to browse the exercise forum and ask your questions there. It's all about finding a program that's right for you. Do you have cable? Do you have on demand? Check out exercise tv (google it, I'm not sure if links are allowed).

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the on-demand provided by my local cable provider Comcast. I'm sure something similar is available in your area. You have access to a variety of videos for free (included in your cable payment actually). It's tied to exercisetv. If you don't want to get the cable, you can download videos from that site, some for free, some cost 1.99-3.99 or so. It's a lot better, in my opinion, than sinking 9 to 100 dollars on dvds that you may or may not like. There are previews for all the videos that cost money.

I just started the couch to 5k (c25k) which is a 9 week program that claims it can take a complete couch potato to a person who can run/jog 5km (3.2ish miles). I LOVE IT!

Someone on this site mentioned dailymile . com which I instantly fell in love with. You post your workouts, your comments, etc. in sort of a Facebook type setting. You can follow people in your location and make online friends very quickly! The people there are SO motivating as you have the ability to comment on other people's workouts. You'll have people congratulating you on your accomplishments in no time. It seems like everyone compliments everyone and pushes each other to keep working out. I am purely addicted to POSTING my workouts just for the instant feedback and gratitude.

Finally, do NOT feel ashamed at all! I think in this day and age of obesity overtaking this country,a healthy person, no matter what age (college) would ONLY be thinking while seeing you at a gym "wow! good for her!" You'll be surprised that the healthy people only want everyone to be healthy. And if you do happen to run into some snotty college students, they have major insecurities and should be pitied.

Stick with this site. I invite you to go to the exercise part of these forums and post there. You'll get TONS of responses from people with their suggestions for a workout regimen.

Trust me... you're going to find success here and in no time be beaming with pride. It hasn't even been a month for me and I feel like my entire life has done a complete 180. :O)

Last edited by redsox33; 04-15-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 09:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/237/170

Height: 5'8"

I love the gym because it allows me so many choices that when I get tired of doing one thing I can change to another. We have the YMCA here and it is my godsend. At first I was like you and I did not want to go there because of all the "skinny cute people", but when I actually started going, I realized there are people of ALL sizes, bigger and smaller. I actually made a few friends and found out that some of those small people used to be bigger than me. Someone once told me on this site that most of the time, people are so busy doing their own thing, they are not just looking around and judging. I have never had one negative thing said to me and I always though if anyone ever said anything to me I would just say "Did you just say that out loud? How embarrassing for you (heard that here at 3FC)"..........lol. Anyway, I hope that you do find something that works for you and please don't give up. Also don't let your fear of other people hinder you from doing what is best for you! Welcome to 3FC!

Last edited by abreezies; 04-16-2010 at 09:57 AM.
abreezies is offline   Reply With Quote