Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 251/247/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Newbie Intro

Well, my name is Amanda (hence the username, lol) and I'm here because I need to lose a lot of weight. I'm having trouble putting together a decent "support system" in my real life so I'm hoping to find some online buddies to make this journey a little easier.

I have no idea how to condense my weight history into a small enough chunk for an intro but I'll try. I was not always big. I gained about 60 lbs with my first pregnancy and have just never really recovered. I have, in fact, dug a progressively deeper hole for myself over time. I stayed between 160-170 for years but then I got out of the Air Force and then moved up to the 200 range. I was there for a long time but I gained a lot of weight after my youngest quit breastfeeding. I gained 40 lbs in about 3 months. Now I'm fighting the 250 barrier. I'm so frustrated with myself.

I do have PCOS but that is not responsible for all of my weight gain. I am an emotional eater and I really don't like exercise. PCOS + too much comfort food + not enough exercise = where I am today. I don't want to be here anymore.

I'm still working on my plan. I've done South Beach in the past because it was recommended by my doctor to help with the PCOS. As long as I stay on plan I lose weight...I just don't do so well staying on plan. I want to start exercising by taking 1-2 walks a day. We have a great walking path near our house that is just under 2.5 miles. It's ridiculous that I don't take advantage of it. We also have an elliptical and a treadmill in the house so I really don't have an excuse even when the weather is awful. I'm just lazy.

What I would really like is to find a support system consisting of people who have lost a decent amount of weight already and also people who are just at the beginning with me. That first group to help me when I need a "been there done that" moment of encouragement and that second group to remind me that I'm not alone. I'm hoping that this forum is a good fit.

(This post sounds really depressing and that's not really how I am. I just don't like talking about how I ended up where I am. I promise I won't be "Debbie Downer" here on the boards. lol)
Amanda77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #2  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Welcome, Amanda! We're glad you found us. This is a great place to find the support you are looking for and I agree it's incredibly helpful to be surrounded by folks who are getting it right as well as the enthusiasm of new folks. Jump right in and start posting!

CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 260/see ticker/160

Hi Amanda! I'm new too and can so relate to your post. I have never been diagnosed with PCOS, but have many of the symptoms. I too have exercise equipment and no desire to use them. I don't even know my beginning or current weights to put with my name! This looks like a great place to find the support you are looking for.
sunflowergal40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/160/138

Height: 5'5"

Hello all! I am new as well and looking for a support system. One question - what is PCOS?

Last edited by OnAMission2886; 03-21-2010 at 09:16 PM.
OnAMission2886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 02:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 251/247/140

Thanks for the welcome ladies! I am looking forward to getting involved in the forums. I'm still trying to figure out where to start. lol

OnAMission, PCOS is "Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome." It got its name from one of the possible symptoms (ovaries with a lot of cysts) but it's really more about insulin resistance. It's not named real well. If you do an internet search for PCOS you can get a pretty good idea what it's all about.
Amanda77 is offline   Reply With Quote