Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #1  

Default Long time....no visit....Its been a while

Its been quite some time since I have been to the site....I used to be a frequent reader of posts but rarely posted myself.

I will say I have struggled with my weight all my life. It had an impact on my social life, relationships, and day to day life as well. I finally found the man of my dreams and he loves every pound of me. I love him for that..and I love him for the way he makes me feel. I didn't think I would ever find that!!!

As much as I thought once I found someone who loved me for me would make me happy... I find myself still struggling with my weight and now my health. I was diagnosed with diabetes last year and I have been struggling alot. And now my last visit...the doctor is concerned with both my blood pressure and my cholesterol.

Who am I kidding right....I have been in denial that these things would just pass me by. But now...I am so unhappy that I have let it go this far. I have finally found someone to share my life with and now health issues are rearing their ugly head. My husband also has some weight issues along with high blood pressure. We say we are going to do it together...but as each day passes we accept the people we are because we love each other and neither one of us are on the track the a healthy lifestyle.

I'm scared....soo much so...that I don't even tell my husband who loves me more than anything. What do I do....I am lost
chelbell95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #2  
Carpe diem

S/C/G: 105/78.9/65

Height: 5'5.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelbell95 View Post
I'm scared....soo much so...that I don't even tell my husband who loves me more than anything. What do I do....I am lost

In all honesty, you should tell your DH that you're scared. That's what he's there for: to support you, love you and help you in any way that he can.

Are you in the right place mentally for weight loss? Ask yourself if you ready to commit to losing the weight. Do you have the motivation to lose weight? What are your motivations for losing weight? You must be in the right place mentally, otherwise you wouldn't have come here voicing your concerns about your health and wellbeing. That was a good choice.

As a couple, talk to each other and feel each other out (feeling each other up is a lot of fun too! ). What are his feelings? What are yours? You may find that he's been ready and waiting for you or he's been thinking the same thing and too scared to bring it up. Take the first step for the both of you and you'll be glad that you did.

Your DH sounds like an amazing guy... you're very lucky.
Mollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi chelbell and welcome.

I'm guessing you're fairly young here since you sound like a newlywed so I'm probably a heck of a lot older than you (will be 58 in June)....so let me advise you a little here.

Being very close to goal, I cannot even begin to tell you how fantastic it feels to be a normal size again. Not only appearance, but mobility, etc.

But you do NOT want to be postponing dealing with issues like diabetes and hypertension. Furthermore, being overweight puts a huge amount of stress on our weight-bearing joint, esp. knees and feet....not to mention back problems. As we age, that results in significant pain and mobility problems. There was a point where I was actually almost limping due to this....and now I'm running around like a kid again.

For me, almost nothing is worse than pain. And let's face it...develop chronically painful joints and you become even more sedentary...and gain even more weight. You just get in deeper and deeper and getting out just seems more and more overwhelming.

Believe me...I've been back there where it's nice and cozy here and I'm just cooking away in my kitchen, thinking who cares? I'm happy. But actually, I wasn't most of the time...regarding my weight. Because honestly, the older you get, the more you need to worry about your health....so why put it off? Taking care of this results in major damage control. You can literally stop things like diabetes, hypertension, joint deterioration, etc. in their tracks if you start dealing seriously with this now.

This board is awesome for support and makes one accountable...which is invaluable. But you have to stay here and read and post regularly to be able to benefit from it. Hope you stay.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #4  

Thanks for the support. Yes, I am a newlywed...but I also married a bit older than some. I am 36 yrs old right now... and believe me I notice the change in how my body handles my weight as the years have passed.

I guess that is why I am so frustrated right now..because like others who I know have struggled....it is harder on you when you get older and also harder to lose the weight.

I've been doctoring way more than I like and way more often then I have been used to these days. It looks like my next step is going to adding some medication to my regimen for my diabetes. I have the appt set up in a couple weeks. I was hoping once my Metformin was increased it would help the cause...but I realize now that diabetes, weight loss, high blood pressure is not an overall fix.

I am hoping to get my head on straight and start towards a healthier me. My mom just suffered a stroke at the beginning of the month...she has diabetes but she also has some other health issues so drs don't really know what may of caused it. She is only 58. I have been doing all I can for her...but it has opened my eyes....but I think all this has been effecting my blood sugar levels and BP as well... ISN'T STRESS A GREAT THING....not!!! hehe. And of course I am a stress eater!!!

Well thank you for listening.. I vented a bit more than I had anticipated.

Take Care.. Be Well
chelbell95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 195/130/135

Height: 5'4"

Strokes are either hemmorhagic or thromolytic. The first is basically an intracranial bleed and the second is a vessel blocked by a clot. The first is usually caused by hypertension (though vascular aneurysms, etc. can also cause this) and the second type is usually caused by either recent surgery or a cardiac problem where the blood isn't pumping the most effectively.

They are really starting to lean towards the low-carb/low glycemic index diets for diabetes now. Especially when it comes to non-insulin-dependent diabetes like yourself, these diets can work wonders and honestly repeatedly raising the dose of the oral hypoglycemics is akin to having an elephant stepping on your foot and taking pain medication for it but not getting the elephant off you foot. You're treating the symptoms, not the cause.

These diets are also excellent for insulin-dependent diabetics but it's a bit more complicated for them because they usually don't produce their own insulin (their pancreas is no longer able to)....but non-insulin dependent can eventually turn into insulin-dependent....another reason to try to deal with this as early as possible.

Low carb/low glycemic index diets are also great for weight loss. I just lost almost 55 lbs. on the Atkins diet and am just a sprint away from goal. I'm a huge advocate and lover of low carbing but know it's not for everyone...but it IS great for diabetics.

deena
Deena52 is offline   Reply With Quote