Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #1  
Have lost 78 lbs

S/C/G: 212.5/134/149

Height: 5 feet 5 inches / 168 cm

Smile joined up to help me stay motivated to lose those last few pounds

Hello there... you all! I was looking on google for some information on weight management and stumbled upon this wonderful weight loss community. i am glad i found this.

4 & a half months back i weighed 212.5 pounds and life was getting difficult, that is when i decided to join a local fitness studio. I was given a diet and exercise routine chart to follow which i religiously followed and have dropped 36 pounds.

i have 18.5 lbs more to lose. i seem to have lost the motivation to exercise suddenly. i think that is because i dislike doing weight training, so i just stick to cardio 6 times a week varying my exercise on elliptical, bike, treadmill, arm ergo and rower.

also i wonder why i feel so hungry after exercising, so i have reduced the time and intensity i exercise. i exercised 90-150 min everyday before. now i exercise just 50 min everyday.

i am sure this community will help me stay focused to my goal. excited to be here!

bonne chance! fellow weight loss community members!

any tips, suggestions, advice to me is welcome!
justMOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

hey there! so i seriously believe that when one makes a lifestyle change from sedentary to active (such as myself) and loses a significant of weight in a short period of time, your metabolism goes out of whack...your resting burn is probably raised overall because you have been doing strength training as well as cardio so even when you aren't working out your body is still burning more making you more hungry. have you noticed that some people who are naturally thin eat a lot? i think they just have higher natural metabolisms. because you are exercising you are expending energy making your body signal that you need to replenish...however like you i am still trying to lose those last 18....(for me a few more) pounds. so i would just suggest finding how much you burn daily and count your calories to create a deficit...i find it tough to stick to my caloric intake if i workout too often and intensely...it is all about finding that balance...identifying the problem is a major component of breaking the plateau! it is mental just as much as it is physical.
charlottekelsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 05:58 PM   #3  

Welcome! Congrats on your progress already!
randomcards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:13 PM   #4  
Ready for Change

S/C/G: 216.6 / 208.2 / 116

Height: 5'1

Major congrats on what you've already accomplished. Cheers to a happier, healthier, and thinner you!
SNMomof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:22 PM   #5  
Have lost 78 lbs

S/C/G: 212.5/134/149

Height: 5 feet 5 inches / 168 cm

@ charlottekelsey hi...so the reason behind my uncontrollable hunger after exercise is my high metabolism? hmm..i m glad i reduced the intensity of my exercise and have stopped weight training, because i don't enjoy doing it even a bit

...i love doing cardio while listening to my fav tunes... weight training is just not for me..i hv gone against the recommendation of the fitness counselor and physio to increase my weight training sessions to 4 days per week from 3 sessions and decrease cardio to two from three....

how would i know if i have reached a plateau? i used to lose 2-3 pounds/week until december 2009, in the last 2 weeks i have been losing less than 1 pound/week. i am happy as long as i am losing at least a small amount of weight.

thanks!

@randomcards thank you
justMOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:21 PM   #6  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi justMOVE!
Congrats on all your success so far - the support you need is here to reach your goal - we'll all be here to cheer you on..

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired. Try the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation. There's a fitness section for info and advice on working out and for more insight on plateaus, try the search feature to pull up posts discussing how to break through them.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:31 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/140/120

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by justMOVE View Post
@ charlottekelsey hi...so the reason behind my uncontrollable hunger after exercise is my high metabolism? hmm..i m glad i reduced the intensity of my exercise and have stopped weight training, because i don't enjoy doing it even a bit

...i love doing cardio while listening to my fav tunes... weight training is just not for me..i hv gone against the recommendation of the fitness counselor and physio to increase my weight training sessions to 4 days per week from 3 sessions and decrease cardio to two from three....

how would i know if i have reached a plateau? i used to lose 2-3 pounds/week until december 2009, in the last 2 weeks i have been losing less than 1 pound/week. i am happy as long as i am losing at least a small amount of weight.

thanks!

@randomcards thank you
Hey there. Yes, your metabolism gets revved when you burn calories. your resting rate after a workout is elevated a certain number of kCal per minute for a few hours. that is why a lot of professionals stress the importance of a proper post workout meal with protein...your body is needing fuel and is burning more calories now than any other part of the day. that being said, active people with muscle require more calories which is why those that exercise eat small frequent meals...to fuel the fire...that is their metabolism. drinking a lot of water and getting a good amount of healthy fat, protein, and fiber postworkout will help to keep you full while oatmeal or an apple preworkout will give you the energy you need.
charlottekelsey is offline   Reply With Quote