Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/137.4/120

Default 20lbs to Lose - Buddy Wanted!

Hello,

I've gained nearly 20lbs over the past year and a half, and have been trying to shed it on my own over the past 2 weeks... with little to no success. Weight loss aside, I'm also interested in changing my eating habits, eating more fruits and vegetables and being healthier and more active - hence reducing the likelihood that I'll regain the weight once I lose it. I hope there's someone else out there with similar goals and a positive mindset to make it all work?

Best,
Narn
narn81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5" and 48 years old

Hi, Narn, I do have considerably more than 20 I want to lose, but I would like to lose it the same way you are, at home, with eating more healthfully and exercising some. So my goal is very similar to yours, in that I want more than anything to just get healthy and stay healthy.

Hmmm...positive mindset...well, I'm trying, LOL! I'm kind of scared I'm not going to make it, but I'm telling myself, I can do this!

I just know you will succeed in your journey to better health!

Here's to a happier and healthier 2010 for all of us!
HealthierLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

Hi Narn...I have similar goals, I started out with 134 pounds and want to be around 110-115 pounds... The lowest I have seen on my scale is 126.6. But that was just for few days . My periods are due this week so am hoping to see some good numbers after that.
I would love to be your diet buddy, if you are interested. I am doing calorie counting focused on whole foods and target 1200-1300 calorie per day. For exercise, I am doing 30 day shred and C25K.
PM me if you are interested
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #4  

Thanks for responding, Lori and Healthyliving! Looks like the scale has been moving in the right direction for both of you. It's only a matter of time until you reach your goal - no uncertainty there. All it takes is consistency and perseverance (which is exactly how we gain weight too ).

Healthyliving, I try to limit my calorie intake to no less than 1,200 daily too and exercise daily for 30 minutes or so. I like to jog/run and have been trying to improve my time and speed to no avail. Probably because I wasn't dieting and got fatter in the process. I'm also interested in strength training, although I am completely inept and have a lot to learn. What's C25K? ... I'll be sure to look that up.

Cheers
Old 01-18-2010, 05:47 PM   #5  

Narn...
C25K (couch to 5k) is running program for beginners to help them run 5 k.m. or 30 mins non-stop in 9 weeks. You can find more details in the link below :-
http://mindplunge.com/images/C25K.pdf
I started from week 4th since I used to run a bit before that too and am now in week 5 .
For strength training I am doing Jillian Michaels 30 day shred video and would highly recommend it. You can rent it from Netflix if you have its subscription.
Its just 20 minute routine (around 25 - 30 mins including warm up and streching), but really effective.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #6  

Oh - yes, of course... Sorry. I tried the C25K a couple of years ago - it worked wonders. Until I stopped. I'm now back to alternating between jogging and walking (5-7 minutes jog/ 2 min walk) to gradually re-build my endurance.

I do have a Netflix subscription and I love Jillian Michaels (her style, that is) so maybe I will give the 30 day shed a try! Will I have to buy dumbells? I hate dumbells... Well, I look forward to it, regardless.

I don't think I have the option of sending a PM? I got some sort of an "administrator" and "privileges" related message from the system... Ah, well.

Should we start a new thread and check-in daily? I think I'd like to track calories, exercise, water, and # of fruits and vegetables at once. Too much? Your thoughts? Lori I assume you're in as well?
Old 01-18-2010, 06:06 PM   #7  

Ohh...I love your daily check-in idea!! I would be excited to join that. Just a suggestion we can add in detail what we had for breakfast , lunch, dinner and snacks along with calories. That way we may copy each other ideas/recipes too .

As for 30 day shred...you will need hand weights, I am using 3 lbs ones right now.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #8  

Super... I like the recipe idea, but I must warn you, I don't have time to cook much. On the other hand, exchanging healthful meal ideas would be great.

So I had a "good" first day today - complete with exercise and healthful food. Now I'm about to drink some hot tea and eat a giant grapefruit.

I'll post a "20lbs challenge" or something equally terrifying, in the "challenges" forum first thing tomorrow morning, unless you have a better idea... 20lbs in 10 or so weeks, seems doable, no?

Thanks again for responding!
Cheers,
Narn

PS. Thanks for the C25K link and 30 shred suggestion too.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:10 PM   #9  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Narn!
How smart to make your priority health and not just a diet or a number, that will make it a lasting change - the support you need is here - there's lots of buddies here to cheer you on..

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired. Try the Featherweights, the weight loss support forums, they're active and very helpful - also the Success stories are a definite must for motivation.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here since last fall, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:46 AM   #10  

Thanks so much for the encouragement, Lee!

Well, I couldn't sleep, so I posted in the "challenge" forum (titled "10x2lbs Challenge") earlier than planned..

I'd post a link to my post, but I don't have that privilege either...

Cheers

Last edited by narn81; 01-19-2010 at 12:48 AM.