Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/210/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Smile Hello :)

Hello, everyone! I'm new to 3FC and just wanted to say hello, introduce myself and ask for a little advice.

So, I might as well start at the beginning! I'm Julie and I've always been one of those people who had what I call "good vision" - by that, I mean I always saw myself as skinnier than I really was. Recently, my good vision has faded and I'm thinking that I'm finally ready to do this! Hopefully I don't get too busy with school to do this right.

I'm a graduate student and I work as a teacher of labs at a university. I want to do get started on this so that I can walk across the stage for my MS a lighter, healthier person. I don't know if I'll reach my goal weight by then - but anything is better than nothing, right?

Next up, I have a couple of questions for everyone here. I've been looking into diets for a while and I'm thinking of starting Atkins. I love pasta, a lot, but I think this diet seems like I could do it for the long run. Does anyone have any advice about it to get started?

Another question I have is in regards to exercise. I like to work-out at home - mainly because I don't like to run back and forth to the gym. I'm self conscious when I'm at the gym because my face gets so red (even when I'm just starting out!) and everyone constantly asks me if I'm OK. I'm glad everyone is so nice, but I just can't take being the fat kid at the gym that looks like they're going to pass out! Haha. So, do any of you have some exercise DVDs or tapes that you do that work for you? I want a lot of variety, so I don't know if I'm looking for a program for exercise per say or if I'm just looking for a hodge-podge so that I can do whatever I feel like that day. Is that even effective? I don't even know! I already walk at least 1 mile every week day (walking back and forth to school), but it's not doing as much as I want it too.

Alright - that's enough out of me! Thanks for listening and thanks in advance for any info that you can help me with.

God bless!
julie120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 PM   #2  
Weigh Down Yonder

Hi Julie!
Sounds like you're ready to get started on a healthier you - the support you need is here - we'll all be here to cheer you on.

Glad to have you join us! There are lots & lots of different groups and forums - I'm sure you'll find some that will keep you motivated and inspired - you'll be a wonderful addition to any of them. There's also info and first hand advice on different eating plans and exercise to help get through the ups and downs. To answer some of your specific questions, check out the forums on Atkins and other low carb plans (you could even post there to get advice from those on the plan)- there's also forums on various workouts that will help you choose what would be right for you.

There are bunches of people here with more to lose and some with less - the bottom line is that we all have to do it a day at a time. The good thing is that we'll have lots of company along the way.

I've only been here a few months myself, having NEVER been part of an online forum. What has been so eye-opening is how much it has helped me. Whenever I feel overwhelmed or defeated, I just log on and read some of the success stories, complete with their before & after photos - or read about others still dealing day to day with their challenges - and before I know it, the time has flown by and so have all the thoughts of going off track or giving up. It has made all the difference in my success so far.

So welcome - you 've found the right place - join in by inspiring us and being inspired!

All the best - good luck with your goals,
Lee

leeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Hi Julie!!

You should check out the Atkins forum - I bet they would have a lot of good advice for you. As for DVDs, I know a lot of folks here love the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs by Leslie Sansone.

Just wanted to say welcome!!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hello, Julie, and welcome!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:53 AM   #5  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi Julie and welcome to 3FC.

I have never been on Atkins, I am a calorie counter, but we do have an Atkins forum here if you want to check it out - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/atkins-226/

I also work out at home. My favorite DVDs are - Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds series, any Jillian Michaels and any The Biggest Loser

Good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote