Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:46 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 233/ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

Red face Finally joined - pls help me stick w/ it!

Hi everyone! I've been lurking for a loooooong time, usually around the first couple months of (any) new year. My life's been stuck in a rut for some years now, but it's only in the last few months I've come to see it. Anybody else been reluctant to take a close look at yourself? ugh. I got where I am one step at a time, and I only got here by taking action that led me to this place. Eeww...personal responsibility. The flip side of course is that if I chose the wrong path in the past, I've got everything I need right now to choose a different path. That's what I'm doing today. I mean, I already know I can make choices, I just need to make better ones!

I've been overweight for 20+ years now, morbidly obese for most of that time. I've been hovering around 215-220 for the last year. I can't tie my shoes comfortably, I walk stooped over, I have achy joints, I can't stand up without help if I end up on the floor, and finally this year I was so unbalanced and heavy I had a disaster of a vacation. Absolute humiliation. I was the one who couldn't keep up on our walks. I was the one who couldn't get in and out of the boat we had to take twice a day to and from our 'island paradise.' I was the one who fell - twice - unloading the boat, and then rocked around trying to stand up. It was the worst public humiliation I've ever had. And when I see the pictures...

I've had enough. I'm at the point I don't go out in public, I don't take part in group activities, and I've put off plans to visit family out of state. Not to mention I'm at the age my parents were when they developed serious illnesses and their doctors worry that I'm a prime candidate for getting sick in the next few years. Being morbidly obese won't help.

I'm really nervous, a bit frightened, and optimistic when I remember to think happy thoughts. My thinking has been upside down for so long that turning my brain around feels really creaky. My pattern is I can do anything for 3 days, but that 4th day... PLEASE encourage me to post every day and create permanent, positive change. Thanks!
Losing80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:05 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

We all get that wake up call sooner or later. Welcome to 3fc- just remember it's about progress and not perfection. If you make a mistake don't throw your hands up in the air and go crazy. Figure out what happened and move on

Also anytime you feel like quitting remember how that vacation felt. So what are you going to do to? Count calories? Carbs? Got an exercise plan lined up?

Good luck!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 01:44 PM   #3  

Yep, I've got a plan. This worked for me several years ago. Consistency and repetition were the key. I made the mistake of taking an "extra rest day" off, and that turned into 2 days, then 3... um, err... yeah, that was 40 pounds ago.

Most important - I've been such a slug, especially since this past fall, that just becoming aware of what I'm actually doing daily is most important. I really didn't see how isolated and non-functioning I've become. Awareness, willingness to be accountable, seeing accountability as a good thing not something to be terrified of, coming out of my isolation - 3FC! - this is my starting point.

I'm walking again. Goal is 10,000 steps, starting with 7,000. I'll add other small goals as progress, maybe as mini-challenges or a 21-day challenge.

For food, I'll use a meal delivery service, probably BistroMD and DietToGo. Still need to sign up. I use being confused about cooking meals as an excuse to throw my hands up in the air and drive to McD's. Sad when the drive thru folks are your closest friends!

For accountability and repetition, I'm using 3FC plus a log I have posted on my wall. There's a calendar for each 30 days - takes 21-30 days to make a new habit - and a very short list of my goals for that 30 days; no more than 2 things to get under my belt. Eat breakfast each day then eat sensibly often enough to avoid hunger; walk 7,000 steps daily. I log the # of steps each day. I also have "DO" and "DONE" index card taped on the wall, and a list of tiny bright post-its with daily tasks on them. I move them from "DO" to "DONE" as I accomplish them. For example, get out of bed in the daylight hours!

I'll never forget that vacation! Never fear, I WILL go boating again! Not confident enough to set a date for that, one step at at time. Thanks, Beerab! See you later -
Old 12-29-2009, 02:22 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Sounds like you have a perfect plan- and if you did it before you can do it again!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:42 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 185/178/145

Height: 5'2"

Default neeewbie here

well. here it is...day ONE. I'm reading a lot of posts and seeing myself in so many of them...tried different diets, pills etc and any results (if any) are temporary. I've heard it said SO many times that "diet and exercise are the best way to lose weight and keep it off" and "change your eating habits" is another of my favorites to ignore . So today, I am encouraged and enthusiastic to try a new, never before tried method of dropping weight...Oh dear....please excuse my bad manners. I haven't introduced myself.....I'm Darlene and I'm 44. I have 5 wonderful kids: 3 natural and 2 step (all grown and out of the house except 1 who will be 18 in feb.) and at this particular time and day, I weigh in at a whopping 185 pounds....did I mention I'm 5'2"? And therein lies my problem. About 2 years ago my doctor put me on Wellbutrin and upon taking it, I lost like 20 pounds. Long story short, the meds only worked for a while so I went off about 3 months ago and somehow my weight creeped up ever so slowly to what it is now. So I went from the low 150's (which is STILL too much for my height) to 185. I can't take it anymore. I try to tell myself that my appearance shouldn't bother me, that it's the person inside that counts (which is TRUE..to some degree) but then I remember how happy with myself and how confident I was after dropping some weight and then end up pissed at myself and at a standoff (with...myself). So..while laying in bed at 5:30 this morning, trying to convince myself that if I just bought bigger clothes, I wouldn't stress so much about my weight because my "regular clothes" are a little snugger , I decided to google some effective and non-pill taking forms of weight loss. I'm starting with my own tracking of fat and calories but I ordered a trial of "Alli" and plan to give that a shot. I'm what they call a "hands on" learner so if I decide to over do it and eat a big ole burger and wind up with an extremely embarrassing case of "oily gas discharge" or any of the other, equally terrifying side effects, then guess what?...that's right..I'd run screaming at the mere thought of a Burger King COMMERCIAL! I'm so glad I ran across this forum thingy...it's going to help me tremedously.
Thanks for reading my long winded drivel
darleneb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:18 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFields View Post
(Side Note: Don't you hate the skinny witch they have in that photo that keep popping up on every page---Jillian Michaels--who the heck is she and why is she so daggone perfect looking).
Be gone Jillian Whew. That's better!
Old 01-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #7  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Welcome to 3FC and good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote