Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 05-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/295/250

Height: 6'5"

Default First Time, Long Time...

Long time lurker, first time poster. Well, it seemed like the time to start posting, as changes are happening.
First, I am male, 31, 6'5", married with 2 Basset Hounds and no kids. Don't be afraid. I am a gentle giant. There doesn't seem to be too many gentlemen here (although I have seen a dedicated few), So I thought I would join the ranks.
I am currently at 306 and I hope to be under 300 in the next week or two. I literally don't remember the last time I was that weight. it must has been when I was a teenager, as I have always been the same proportions. I just kept getting taller and taller.
I never had a problem with my size. Being this tall and this big, it always was the way it was. I understand a lot of people's pain and struggles with their size, but it was never a problem for me. The only time it was weird was in comparison with my parents and sister. who are all normal height and skinny. But my mother's father and brothers are all big guys, so I figured I just got those genetics. I don't eat fast food or processed food, we cook at home for almost every meal. I bring my lunch, We have always lived like that, so I was always puzzled as to why I saw all of this scapegoating for that behavior when I never did that, and yet I was still big.
My motivation to get skinny is really just one thing. My wife and I are now at the point where we are talking about kids. I look at my friends that have kids and I see how much it takes to be a great parent, and I want to be able to do all that for my kids. So we decided that now, as we don't have kids is going to be the easiest time to get in shape. It is good for me and it is good for my wife to get in shape before she has to go through pregnancy.
So here we are. I don't know where I started as far as weight. I did not have any interest in weighing myself for the first 2 months. It seemed to me that to get started that I should make it about living the program and not about beating myself about weight. So I don't know where I started, but I first stepped on a scale at the end of March, after 2 solid months of my new program and I was 327. Since then I have lost 21 more pounds and I am loosing about 3.5 Lbs a week (although I hit a plateau 2 weeks ago).
My plan has been simple. Eat less and exercise. I don't count calories per se. I am aware of the caloric content of everything I eat, and I am extremely aware of everything that goes in my mouth. I have stated all along that I will eat what ever I want. So far I have, of course in moderation. But I have cut portions size. Changes to oatmeal for breakfast, and added a lot more fruit and veg. But, I still have to fight the cravings for chocolate, and deserts. It has gotten better.
My main motivation has been working out. I do really love it now. Of course I still struggle with wanting to do it, but once I get there I enjoy myself. So far I have been a swimmer. I swim, 1.75 km 4 days a week. I also walk the dogs 5 km 4 times a week. So far that has really worked. that changes today. As I work at a university and the pool is closed for graduation week, So today I have to go and use the Gym (gasp). I'm not looking forward to it. but I want to learn to run. That is my new goal.
This whole process, although hard has been great so far. I've always been strong, but the swimming has made me muscular (under the chub, but you can see definition clearly). This weekend I has a great NSV. So far I have been refusing to buy clothes. my logic being a) we are in the process of buying a house, so I don't want to spend money b)it is my intent to keep shrinking, so why should I buy clothes that are just intermediate. But my clothes definitely don't fit. I have had to put 6 holes in my belt (I'm on the 4th) and my pants are bunching so much that it was irritating my skin. So my wife, a friend and I were out shopping yesterday, and they coerced me into The Gap. I agreed, only to try on clothes to see what size I was. I have always been a 2XL tall and 44/34 pants. So my wife grabs a few 40/34 pants and some XL shirts. I grabbed a pair of 38/34 pants just to see how far I had to go till I was that size. First thing I slipped on the 38's. I figured I would try them on quick see how far off I was, and then try on the 40's to show my wife. I slip on the 38's and Holy $#!% they fit. I was blown away. I was wearing a 38 pant. I literally do not remember EVER wearing a 38 pant. The last time I lost some weight, I wore a 42 pant, but never a 38, ****, never even a 40. Then I grabbed a XL sweater and threw that on. OMG that fit too! It was a little snug in some places, but for the most part it fit. I could not believe it. I was very excited. I was so excited that I had to break my rule and buy the clothes, (good thing there was a wicked sale!). Here I sit today in my 38 pants, feeling great.
My goals are simple. 1) get under 300 (coming soon!) 2) Class 1 obese (coming soon too, 294) 3) 275 4) Overweight 5) 250. I would be happy at 250, and right now my goal is 250. That said. I would love to be in the normal category, which is 210 for my height. It just seems so far to go, that I just want to set my mind on the smaller goals for now.
So that is my story, Sorry for the rambling. I tend to go on. I have been quite in the community here, but I will try to participate.

Last edited by katzeye; 05-11-2009 at 12:42 PM.
katzeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #2  
Master Water Retainer

S/C/G: 205/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Hi! I just registered today too, so I'm not much of a welcomer, but hello! Congratulations on the weight you've lost so far, it sounds like you're doing marvelously!
RubyGuggenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:09 PM   #3  
Learning to fly again

S/C/G: 196/ticker/130

Height: 5' 2"

Welcome!
There are some other guys in here, and they are all great, there's even a Men's Thread somewhere.
You are doing amazing, and I think you have the right motivators to keep you going. Keep posting and sharing with us your amazing journey!
Newshinyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

We do have some "roosters" here - and you are very welcome to join in the fun! 3FC is a GREAT resource and we hope you will post often!
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 PM   #5  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Welcome!

Here's a link to the men's support thread. It's in the weight loss support forum.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=161900
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 04:55 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Welcome katzeye

katzeye

And, in case you didn't get one of these last month when you joined,

Your plan, "Eat less and exercise," sure seems solid to me. And your progress to date commendable.

Search around a bit and you're likely to find some threads that you find attractive to visit regularly. The guys are distributed around and about, but there are a goodly handful of us here.

Sending you vibes for continued success.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:26 PM   #7  

Default Thanks!

Hi All, thanks for the warm welcomes!. I really appreciate it.
This is a nice community and I plan on taking part, and not just in the Male areas ; )
Just a quick update. I made it to the Gym yesterday and I ran for 2.5 miles. I was ecstatic! Considering I had never done more than 1 mile in the past (and that hurt!) I'm gonna try to get to the full 5k (3.2 mi) today. Wish me luck!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #8  
No description available.

Welcome to 3FC! Surf around and settle in! We have forums based on age, eating plan, exercise and more! I'm glad you're here!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #9  
Gaining Attitude

S/C/G: 205 / 193 / 145

Height: 5'5

What a great story! And the success story of the size 38 pants had me grinning from ear to ear. Look forward to your continued success and posts!
bobblefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:52 AM   #10  
There is no spoon!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/160

Height: 5/9

Welcome to the 3FC community! Good to have you here!
Delphi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #11  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzeye View Post
I made it to the Gym yesterday and I ran for 2.5 miles. I was ecstatic! Considering I had never done more than 1 mile in the past (and that hurt!) I'm gonna try to get to the full 5k (3.2 mi) today. Wish me luck!
Good for you!!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #12  

Thanks All.
I made it to the gym yesterday, and I did the run.
Well All I can say is that I miss the pool. I didn't hurt after the first day of running, but today I hurt...
Yes, I did stretch. But I think that after 31 years of not running, by body was not to fond of 5.7 miles in 2 days.
So for today, my gym partners have abandoned me. I'm still going, though. I'm not sure what I am going to do. But I think I am going to take a day off running...Man, I miss the pool.*Just 3 more day, Just 3 more Days*. I think in the long run I will mix up the pool and the Gym. But I have been such a slave to the water, and my body has been conditioned to the laps. That the Gym is tough.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:37 PM   #13  
Trying to survive.

S/C/G: 345/284/140

Height: 5'6"

I think there's more females here because there's much more stress on us to be thin and pretty and '****able' versus the guys. Best example I can think of off the top of my head would be King of Queens.. Why was the wife all skinny and he was such a couch potato?! Stuff like that is 'acceptable'... I just recently watched a music video with some Indian Bali dancers, the male was fat and the girl was skinny.

It's just more socially acceptable that guys are fat versus us girls, that's all... So, thus, there are guys who don't have the social stigma and pressure to be thin/gorgeous and therefore don't care. Sad fact is, it's still killing them faster than it does women. There's less guys than girls too, so girls are more willing to put up with them being bigger, where as, especially on the net, OMG, she's heavier than 110?! She's FAT!!!!

I wish there were more guys who were on here, honestly.... (...and I wish it was OK to go lurk the 'rooster' threads.... >>;;;;;;;; oh well. lol.)

Anyway, if you want, there's an exercise accountability thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/30-s...bility-13.html here.

Last edited by Wolfshadow; 09-06-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Wolfshadow is offline   Reply With Quote