Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-21-2009, 04:36 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 238/204/135

Height: 5'5''

Smile Need to talk to people who 'get it'

Hello all!

I've been lurking here for quite a while, on and off, and finally worked up the courage to post.

I've been overweight as long as I can remember (I turned 31 in January and while I don't remember what I weighed back then, I distinctly remember my aunt telling me my legs were like "tree trunks" when I was about 12, so it's been a long time since I was 'normal' weight, if I ever was). I've had moderate success several times losing weight, but nothing's ever been permanent and I've yo-yo'd my way to my highest weight ever now. I should be an expert at dieting by, though - I've done it hundreds of times. Hmm.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I have the determination this time to really put this weight business to rest once and for all, and I've been attempting to reach out for support from my friends and family because one thing I've learned is I need someone to keep me honest. The thing is, though, while I love my friends and family, none of them have ever been in the position of wanting - no, needing - to lose 75 to *gulp* 100 pounds, and they say the stupidest things while trying to help. I can't imagine I'm the only one who's felt this way. I don't blame them for it, and I know they're trying to be supportive but ... really. Pointing out to me that "They make low-cal cookbooks, you know" when I say I'm considering Jenny Craig is just the opposite of helpful. They know I'm shy (really shy - practically in tears typing this and you guys can't even see me, lol) when it comes to talking about weight as it is ... please don't 'encourage' me by making me feel stupid, kthx.

So I'm hoping to find some folks here in the same boat as me. Maybe we can all row together to get where we're going.

Pleased to make your internet acquaintance!
TikiTikiTiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:55 PM   #2  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Welcome!

And kudos to you for mustering up the courage for your first post. I was also sooo nervous, but it got easier to be chatty and ask questions really quickly.

There's tons of info on this site and you don't have to worry about people not getting it. I'm sure you'll find lots of people with issues similar to your own.

Good luck!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 228/173/160

Height: 5 ft 5 inches

Welcome!

We all get it. That is why we are here. I dare say most of us have family and friends who just don't understand what it is like to want/need to lose weight. There are times of frustrations and joy in the weight loss process. I found this forum a great safe place to express both.

Good luck on your weight loss journey and keep us updated!
Lynn160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/See Ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Nice to meet you, too! There is lots of support here, so you found the right place! Looking forward to getting to know you!

Last edited by Sunrose; 04-21-2009 at 05:12 PM.
Sunrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #5  
On my way to a new me!

S/C/G: 205/168/145

Height: 5'6 ~ 44

Hi and welcome, i'm pretty new here also, but find encouraging words and wisdom all in this site.... i'm sure you will also and good luck....
Savora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 07:25 PM   #6  
Staying in 1derland!

S/C/G: 288/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"

this site is great! Read all you can and post much, it keeps you focused on your goal, plus many groups here have ongoing challenges and that helps also... just wanting to see that ticker go down is a great motivator!

best of luck to you... one day at a time, the days grow into months and before you know it.... you have met your goal!
curlylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #7  
No description available.

Welcome!!!! Look around and settle in! We have forums based on age, eating plan, exercise and more! I'm glad you are here!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #8  
ann
ann

S/C/G: starting weight 210lbs

Height: 5 ft 2ins

the must important thing right now is doing what you feel happy to do and ignore what other people tell you . i have battled to lose weight all my adult live but i can remember back to when i was 13 and telling my mum that i was on a diet and she didn't object and so my battle of the bulge began. i love my mum dearly but sometimes i wonder what planet she's on especially when she rang me one evening last year to tell me she had just been reading an article in a magazine about a lady who had just had a tummy tuck and she said"you know you should go and ask your doctor about a tummy tuck, cos that girl looked fantastic and she wasn't as big as you and she got it done" mothers !!!!!!!
ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 02:41 PM   #9  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Welcome, glad to have you.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 238/204/135

Height: 5'5''

Wow, thanks for all the welcomes everyone! I can see I wasn't wrong to think this would be a friendly, supportive place.

Looking forward to getting to know you all better!
TikiTikiTiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #11  
jace1234

S/C/G: 214/170/140

Height: 5'5"

Default jace1234

Good for you Tiki, you can do it! I have faith in you! Don't get down about your family and friends, wow them with your upcoming achievements! You can do it...one day at a time!
Jace1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:22 AM   #12  
Baker's Daughter

S/C/G: 179/142/136

Height: 5' 4"

My mother made fun of my weight since I can remember and she has always ALWAYS been a fair bit bigger than me.

I don't like talking about diets either which is why I came on here rather than talk to 'real' people. Not that I'm saying you guys aren't real!

You'll lose the weight and everyone here will support you in doing so. Good luck!

xxxxxxxxx
MoonGirl is offline   Reply With Quote