Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-17-2009, 10:08 AM   #1  

Red face Greetings with a big sigh and an ever so slight glimmer of hope

right?

This is, officially, the 21st year I've struggled with my weight. My issues could drink legally by now and have little issues of their own.

Even so - let me not mislead. My weight issues began at age 10 - so I probably a little younger than you guessed.

I've had good years and bad. No.. that's not true. I've a couple good months here and there. I have fluctuated (in my adult life) from 130 to 210. Consistently (lol).

And now I am starting to realize just how much of my life has passed by in a haze of tugging on my shirt around my belly, writhing in agony to get into jeans (2, 4, 6, 8, 20) and being silently appalled at the sight of myself in every picture every taken.

The happiest and proudest days of my life aren't remembered for their joy or accomplishment -but for how much I hated the outfit I was wearing and how huge I felt in comparison to what I wanted to be.

Serisously - my wedding reception was about my giagantic upper arms, getting admitted to the New York State Bar was about the skirt cutting into my waist, my first business trip to London was about how small Big Ben looked compared to me (ok, that was an exaggeration... actually, it was about my clevage. but not the good kind)

27 days ago, I decided that I would give it one more go. My 31st birthday is in April and I figured - "take one more shot to do something about this or MAKE PEACE with being the size you are." So, I've been pretty diligent about things for 27 days (give or take 2) and ....drumroll.... NOTHING. I need to step it up, I need to exercise, I need to focus.

A coulple years ago, I was struggling with a personal problem and I found an online support group that turned out to be priceless. I am hoping this is that again.

I dunno.
I am not ready to give up all hope. I have 53 days left to turn this around.

akdny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:20 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 308/284/160

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to 3FC!

This is such a GREAT forum! Everyone here is really helpful. We've all been where you are!

Weight loss is such a struggle. I think I was born fat! I will be 45 in May, and I have struggled my entire life. I hear ya!

I can't say what will work for you, but what finally is working for me, is that I gave myself a break. What I mean is, this weight loss journey is not about time limits, time tables or deadlines. I used to do that too. "I will lose weight for my reunion", "I will lose weight for the wedding coming up in September"...you know the drill. And then the wedding comes and goes, the reunion comes and goes, and there you are. Still saying...I will lose ...when......

WHEN never comes. So I gave myself a break. This isn't a race. It's not a temporary change. This is something I will struggle with my entire life. I will have to be more diligent, work out harder, and stay on track more than most. I accept that.

Don't limit yourself to a 'time limit'. It's a set up for failure. Look at it this way. If you start today, you are one day ahead of yesterday. If you go to the gym tomorrow, it's one more day than you went yesterday. If you lose 5lbs by the reunion, wedding, it's 5lbs less that you have to lose next week, etc.

Make the committment to yourself, make the life change, and stop limiting your time to a birthday, reunion, wedding. This is the one thing that is truly ALL ABOUT YOU! Celebrate it! You have your entire life to turn this around, not 53 days!

You go girl, you can do it!
lindalou0510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 207/194.4/135

Height: 5'4"

Welcome from NC. Decide how many calories a day you need to lose weight, incoroporate good, healthy whole foods into your daily schedule, and try to find a form of exercise that you will enjoy and start out slow and build yourself up. It is all about making a plan and sticking to it. I personally write everything down that goes into my mouth to keep better track of it (personal preference). I had to finally come to the conclusion that I was not dieting anymore, just eating better choices of foods for me. If you ever need to talk, please feel free to PM me! I am by FAR not perfect at this, but I am learning new things daily and the information here is awsome. Not to mention the best support you can find. I am finding myself turing down Girl Scout cookies this week after my hubby brought 3 boxes home! I have NEVER turned down Girl Scout cookies! I do like sweets, but I also have come to the conclusion that they like my butt, thighs, and gut way more than I like them! Get started as soon as you can, so that you don't put it off longer. Good luck to you and keep in touch!
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #4  

You are so right (and encouraging!!) I always pin point deadlines. It's probably just a facet of my personality. But it doesn't work here. you're right.
Everything has been about those damn milestones and I swear, I always gain weight instead of losing!! The few times in my life I've been down at my ideal weight - have been almost accidental. Like I got busy doing other stuff and forgot to worry about the next big holiday that I wanted to lose 25 pounds for.

I thought very long and hard (or, well... I am still thinking very long and hard) about what the most sustainable plan for me is. I am allergic to exercise, but having broken the 30 year yard line, I know I need to get over that and start moving!! Gone are the days I could drop 10 pounds in two weeks by switching to light beer.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:39 PM   #5  

Deadlines are just a path to failure! Don't do it!

Count calories, go to WW, use Nutri-system. Do some research and find what works for YOU. After all, this is all about you!

Exercise? OH YES, we are all allergic! However, I realized that without it, nothing was really going to happen.

Start slow. Don't beat yourself up if you don't work out 5 hrs a day every day. Start with parking in the farthest spot in the lot for work, shopping etc. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Make it easy so that once you decide to join a gym or start working out in earnest, you will have a great head start!

Weight loss is a very personal, emotional journey. You have to ease up on yourself, figure out what works for YOU, and do it. Make small goals. 5lbs at a time. When you reach that 5lbs CELEBRATE IT! and not by eating! Buy a special calendar just for tracking your losses. Buy fun colored stickers (you can get BOTH at the dollar store!) and show your progress with pride!

There is not time like the present to make healthy life choices! And as you go on, it will become easier!

I have heard it said that it takes 21 days to make turn a routine into a habit! Make it a habit to take good care of yourself! You deserve it!
Old 02-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #6  
Working my way back

S/C/G: 185/150

Height: 5'5

you don't EVER have to settle if you are unhappy! you CAN change who you are, how you look, and the way you feel. there are so many amazing people on this forum to give you support, encouragement, a nice little butt kicking, and just plain old good conversation.

i KNOW you can get where you want to be. the sooner you realize it, the better!
corazonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #7  

Wow. I really like it already.

thank you for the nice welcome.

I used to count calories - but what works for me is low carb. It's not Atkins low carb, because I am a vegetarian. And it's not completley low carb, because I love my red wine. So it's a mix up that IS uniquely me.

If I limit carbs, I FEEL so much better. All I really now is exercise. Like I said- I've been eating well for about 3 weeks and the scale is not really moving. This is new for me. Before I turned 30, I could limit carbs and drop a ton quickly..... not the case anymore.

So I am going on vacay this Friday to a much warmer place then frigid ol' NY (where I live). I am going to take the opportunity to start walking around and hopefully keep it up when I get back.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #8  

You can do it!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #9  
No description available.

Welcome to 3FC!!

Surf around and settle in. We have subforums based on age, eating plan, exercise and more! I'm glad you're here!

Be sure to check out the 30-something forum.

When I was 31, I was at my high weight. I'm 36 and I'm in the best shape of my life. You are never too old to reach for your dreams and goals. Don't settle!! Live the life you WANT to live!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #10  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

3FC is indeed a wonderful community! I couldn't have done this journey without them!

You CAN do this! Really, you can. Post often, and let us know how you are doing!

If I can do this at age 50+, you CAN do it too
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 11:04 PM   #11  
Anna77

S/C/G: 191/185/125

Height: 5'3"

What a great post, Akdy. I enjoyed reading it!

Hope you'll stick around and post some more. Most of all, I hope you can find a plan that works for you!
Anna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #12  

I enjoyed reading your story, and sincerely hope you make it this time. This is an awesome support group! I'm glad you found us!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote