Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/200/165

Height: 5'9"

Default New member looking for advice and support!

I stumbled across 3fc about a year ago, and was really interested in reading various things on here. But my old computer was quite slow and 3fc especially was very slow and crashed my computer! So now that i have a new laptop i thought i'd post for some motivation

I'm 18 years old, 5"10 and 196lbs. I'd like to lose 26 lbs ideally - i'm just not happy with my figure at all!

I'm in university studying english literature with philosophy, and hoping that when i get back from the christmas holidays i'll stop with the binging and hopefully join a gym!

Not really sure which method to go for to lose weight - so if anyone could suggest something? I'll answer any questions or what not if someone could help me choose that would be great!
Angharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

ANGARHAD ~ glad you finally decided to join us for good with your new laptop PC. The most popular plan here seems to be basic CALORIE COUNTING, and also seems to be very successful for many people. The number of calories (energy units) you might choose depends on you. I would not recommend going under 1200 C's a day, and some dieticians say never go under 1500 C's a day.

The reason being, that you don't want to jeopardize your health and it's hard to maintain a very low-calorie plan. I would suggest starting somewhere between 1400 and 1500 C's and see how you feel. Increase your veggies and fruits, and cut out the junk; eat at least three small meals + 2-3 small snacks each day; drink at least 4-6 cups of water (esp before a meal) each day. I heard a doctor say even 2 bottles or 4 cup equivalent can help.

I also heard a doc say that if you can eat one apple and one pear a day that will help you feel fuller too. I like to have soup or a fruit before my meals to help me feel fuller and a salad each night with dinner. An easy way is to do this: fill your dinner plate 1/2 plate with veggies + 1/4 lean meat + 1/4 plate carb like rice, beans, pasta, a small new potato with skin or a yam, or a whole grain bun/bread.

I like fat free/sugar free yogurt and mix it with fruit and diet jello is very filling too. I walk and do hand weights; and that gym won't hurt you ... join by all means. Hope this gives you a start; you will hear some differing opinions and ideas here, but you can decide what works best for you, in the end. We do have a group here for people in their 20's; since you are in university right now ... good luck!

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 12-24-2008 at 06:40 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:38 AM   #3  
2 wheels is plenty :D

S/C/G: 264/195/150

Height: 5'4"

3FC has reviews of pretty much every plan here.

Which plan to use is a pretty individual choice - what I will suggest is that you pick a plan you think fits you best. Best case scenario is that you find a lifestyle you can live with forever.

For me - calorie counting (along with exercise) is working.

Some food for thought....
Quote:
hoping that when i get back from the christmas holidays i'll stop with the binging and hopefully join a gym!
"Hoping" isn't gonna git 'er done....but I think the fact that you are delurking and here means you are doing more than "hoping".

chick_in_the_hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
hoping that when i get back from the christmas holidays i'll stop with the binging and hopefully join a gym!
Gina and I picked up on the same line. There's absolutely no reason to "hope" for these things to happen. Because hoping is not good enough. You need to make them happen. The choice, the decision is yours. As difficult as it may seem, when you want something badly enough you find a way to get it done. But I agree; just writing it down here at 3FC is a great first step and I truly think you may be past the hoping stage and ready for the all important take action stage. Because, really, wanting to be healthy and doing what is required to succeed is a choice.

I too am a calorie counter. Watching myself, cutting back, eating "only" healthy foods, never worked for me. I absolutely need the accountability and forced portion control that calorie counting provides. It keeps me in check. Fitday.com is one of many sites that can help you track your calories. I make those calories really stretch and count by eating (mostly) highly nutritious & satisfying foods - lots and LOTS of veggies, low fat proteins and some fruit. And doing away, for the most part, with added sugars and flour and the such. And of course, I exercise.

I also think it's pretty vital to look at this as a "lifestyle change". Not some "diet" that you're on. And then go "off" of. Incorporating healthy habits into your every day life.

Glad you're here! No better time then right now to make your dreams - a reality. You CAN do this. And you should. You won't regret it. Not for a teeny, tiny second. All the best for the New Year.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote