Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/138

Height: 5'3"

Default Same old s***, different day.....

Hi all! I've been lurking for a few days and finally decided I need some help. My story is probably like everyone else. Diet, lose, fail, diet, lose, fail, diet, lose, fail....hence the title. I am really getting desperate, I just looked at vacation pictures and in my mind I don't look like that fat lady in the pictures. I am 48 years old and want to get a handle on my eating problem. First, I need to know how to get past the sugar cravings. I know the more of it you eat, the more of it you want. Is there something that can get me through the first couple of days that has worked for any of you? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
CannieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:44 PM   #2  
GO YELLOW TEAM!

S/C/G: 287/281/190

Height: 5'7

This is a wonderful place to start! You will get a LOT of help here! Ive been here for about a week, and I got the motivation I needed to stick with it!

Good Luck on your journey!
MissCely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #3  
Tammy73

S/C/G: 254/215/145

Height: 5'6"

Welcome to 3FC!
I struggle with sugar cravings too. I've been losing weight since the end of
July and I have to say that looking at my food logs I haven't had a single week yet where I haven't eaten candy of some sort. I work it into my daily calorie allowance because I haven't been able to give it up yet.
This week I am trying to go the whole week without any candy. I'm sure it will be difficult but it is something that I finally think I am ready to give up.
If you want my opinion, I was still able to lose and keep the sweets in my diet, I just had to plan for them. Maybe for the next little while you should focus on loging everything you eat so that you get a clear indication of how many calories you are actually devoting to sugar to see if you need to get rid of it all together or maybe you just need to reduce it.

Last edited by Tammy73; 11-17-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Tammy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:08 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 236/204/160

Cannie, I know just how you feel about not thinking I'm fat. I guess since I've been living like this for awhile now, I've started to get used to it. Mirrors can be deceiving because you can control what you're seeing, but pictures rarely lie. I like to use pictures of myself when I looked great and pictures from when I was at my heaviest for motivation. I know how discouraged you feel, but we can do it!
McLauren84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/188/120

Height: 5'4"

Cannied, I started in October and now can no longer eat alot of sugar. I joined a gym and initially started 30 minutes on the treadmill, bike or elliptical - after my 30 minutes and gasping for air - I would go to the diner and have my dinner salad. There was no way I was consuming something that would have me work harder the following day to burn off. So, I suggest a gym or some type of workout dvd - worked for me. Hope this helps.

chunckymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:36 PM   #6  

I feel like an addict!! I don't feel as if I can really eat a little....because a little becomes a lot. I feel like chocolate calls to me like a lover. I need help breaking this hold it has on me. I get upset...I want sweets....I go to a party...I want sweets...I go out to eat...I want sweets...etc., etc., etc! Has anyone else struggled with this? How have you dealt with it? I am desperate with the holidays coming up. I can see another 10 lbs!!!!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #7  

Smile Today is a new day!!!

I am not going to let my past drag me down. I am going to let it serve as a reminder that if I always do what I've always done I'll always get what I've always got!!
Old 11-18-2008, 01:17 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

A couple ideas.

First, although you already said it, going off all sugar for, say, 2 weeks, makes a big difference. When you have it again, you'll prefer much less sugar in any given item, and not be craving it everyday. Over time, we tend to get a little lax, and then it helps just to go off it again for a week or so. It really helps to know it's not forever, just one or two weeks.

Second, find something to substitute for the cravings. I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners. I think that just prolongs one's sweet tooth. But, for example, although I think Diet Coke is bad, if drinking a lot to keep your mouth busy while going off sugar is what works, I would do it. For you, it could be gum, or water, or carrots, or whatever. Maybe not even food. Maybe just go for a walk up the street and back whenever a craving hits. Or do 10 minutes of yoga. Or call someone on the phone to chat.

But don't wait until the craving hits to decide what to do. Figure out ahead of time what will probably work best, and have a couple back up plans ready to go too.

Oh, and a third thing. Just don't have stuff like that in the house! Makes a HUGE difference.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #9  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi Cannie, I read your posts and understand how hard it can be to cut the sweets. Honestly cold turkey is the best way to quit. The cravings do get less and less as you go. I know that probably sounds impossible right now, but one day soon, hopefully. Just be strong. I'm sending some to keep the sweet tooth away. Good luck! You can do this!
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:45 PM   #10  

Height: 5'9

Eating more healthy fats always makes my sugar cravings go away and fruits.
cuteazz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 PM   #11  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

I'm just going to throw this out there because it's what I do when I want chocolate. I spent 3.00 on a 80% cocoa chocolate bar and I have it with natural almonds. I can only really eat a square a day because it's so very chocolatey. That way I'm getting the health benefits of the almonds, the antioxident flavanoids in the cocoa and a chocolate fix.
There are always going to be sweets around so for myself I've come to the decision that I have to consume them in measured amounts.
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:47 PM   #12  
Luddite

S/C/G: 177/168/150

Height: 5'8"

I used to be a TOTAL sugar addict. For me, the only way to get past the sugar cravings was to give up refined sugar entirely. I still eat things sweetened with unprocessed sugars (I usually use honey and agave nectar) because I've found that those sugars don't impact my system as much. Getting the tiniest taste of refined sugar is like a trigger- I want to consume every sweet thing in a 20 mile radius.

I know it's kind of extreme, but to me it's MORE than worth it to not have the sugar brain-fog and to constantly have to think about where my next sugar fix will come from. It took me sheer force of will (and hitting rock bottom) to get through the first few days, but it really doesn't take long to get it out of your system.

So... my vote's obviously for cold turkey, but good luck with however you approach this problem. I totally know where you're coming from, and it's rough.
icicle84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:14 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 236/204/160

I think these are all great points! I know what has worked for me in the past is now even having bad things in the house and calling certain things "off limits." There's a candy bowl at the front desk of my office and I have officially called it off limits forever. I think if you try to cut it out for a week, the cravings will subside. Also, weight watchers makes some really good lower fat and calorie ice creams. After your sugar fast, you could add in sweets like those that are better choices. I know sugar is a vicious cycle. Hang in there!
McLauren84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #14  

I really hate to say this but I think cold turkey is going to have to be it. WWs does make some really GOOD low point items.......only problem is I can eat a whole box of them!!!! I know what I have to do, I guess I'm just trying to find any other solution to not giving up sweets. But I guess I am just kidding myself, sugar is a trigger for me and it sets me off on a binge. Maybe later I can try the honey and agave nectar once I "Detox" myself.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:27 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Maybe it's not true for everyone, but I really did find that when I came back to sugar occasionally, it wasn't a problem. It's the daily that gets me. A little agave syrup, even daily, doesn't mess me up, nor does a square of dark chocolate 1-3 times a week. But other than that, if I stick to once a week at most for a reasonable portion of a really high quality dessert (not artificial sweeteners and weird low/nonfat stuff), I do fine. It's the junky sweet snacks or treats that do me in. Fortunately, once I was off sugar, I hardly ever even want junky stuff, and I don't crave dessert all the time anymore.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote