Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 10-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #1  
give me back my bones!

S/C/G: 136/ticker/105

Height: 5'3"

Default Introduction (long)

Hi!

I came to this site, of course, to lose some weight -- not an awful lot, but about 20-24 pounds. I'm probably going to need some tips and some help, since so far I have awful willpower, and I don't really know how to lose weight and keep it off, especially since I don't have a lot of time or money to spend. I'm going to get all my info out in the beginning, as reference for anyone who might reply to my questions. Here's my story:

I am a 27-year-old woman, and I had been thin my whole life until recently. I was full-grown at 5'3" since I was 12, and for most of my life I weighed 105-113 lbs. In the past 2 years, the number has inched up higher and higher, until now, when I am at 126-129. I managed to get down to 119 for my wedding in June, but beginning at the honeymoon, it crept back up again until I had gained 10 lbs. in 4 months. I am a broke student, and had to cancel my gym membership recently for lack of cash.

My clothes don't fit well any more; I find myself wearing the same pair of jeans for days at a time because they are more comfy dirty and stretched out than newly washed. My gut has started to poke out of shirts that once hung off me. My wardrobe is effectively reduced to the 5-6 things I still fit in. I see cellulite on my abdomen, butt, and thighs. I no longer feel like the hot 20-something newlywed I should be, and while I'm not overweight by BMI standards, I have a rather small frame and no curves, so the extra weight just looks dumpy on me. I am part Mexican, and so I get a square Mexican *** when I gain weight. And my boobs never get any bigger than the B cup they've always been.

I know I have a decent-looking face, and at a 31" inseam, pretty long legs for a short person, so I know that despite my non-curvy shape, I still have the potential to be "hot," but I feel disgusting and ashamed of myself in this new love-handled body. So I decided to make a change.

My goal is to get back down in my "comfort zone" of 105-113 in time for my husband's birthday at the end of March (23.5 weeks), which should be a good, healthy rate of weight loss at about a pound a week. I plan to do this mostly by following a modified detox diet full of fruit, vegetables, seafood, and gluten-free whole grains, keeping alcohol to a minimum, and more or less giving up sweets and fried foods.

Wish me luck! I am probably going to need it...
aurelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Aurelie -

A couple of ideas for places to start...

The 20-somethings forum would be a good fit for you by age range.

You also might want to look at the "Featherweights" forum, for those with less to lose than others. If you are close to goal, there are unique challenges, so head on over there.

I don't know about "Detox" diets, but it sounds like you're going with a whole foods approach. We have a great Whole Foods Lifestyle forum, so head over there.

Can't wait to get to know you better.

Oh, and you're not alone on the boobs thing. I am on the larger side of B at 295 lbs, and I'm on the smaller side of B now, but a B nonetheless.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:37 AM   #3  
I will be positive

S/C/G: 224/183/135

Height: 5'4"

Hi and welcome to 3FC. That weight seems to come out of nowhere when you first get married i think. I know it sure did with me as soon as i married my first husband. I was afraid he would think i tricked him by being skinny just til we married then gaining weight. but for someone who has never had an issue with weight he would never have believed me anyway. even though you have less to lose than some of us do your struggles will be no easier than ours so stick around i'm sure some of the people here will have great words of advice for you. Good luck on your journey.
inspired by you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #4  
give me back my bones!

S/C/G: 136/ticker/105

Height: 5'3"

Thanks, everyone!
aurelie is offline   Reply With Quote