Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-14-2008, 04:28 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 281/251/165

Height: 5'6

Arrow Bigger Actresses?

Hey everyone!

I've had a dream of being an actress since I was 10 yrs old. I'm now 24 years old, and have yet to do something about it. Mind you, I took some acting classes, did the whole school play thing, took the choir thing, even took some singing lessons, and took part in competitions... I'm lacking encouragement from the people around me on pursuing my dream, and making it reality.

I'm thinking... Is it too late to start now? I'm overweight, and on a diet. Would that conflict with me wanting to pursue my dream? I've contacted quite a few talent agencies (I'm waiting to hear back). I don't even know where else to start. I can't go to the USA (I'm Canadian, obviously, lol) because I can't get a work visa. What would my reasoning be?

Where do I start? How do I get there? Do I give up? Help me.
albertagirl11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 07:18 AM   #2  
Closed

S/C/G: 420/396/350

Height: 5'1"

Welcome and Good luck
BIG B00TY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #3  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

I'd say be realistic, but by all means go for it. Fat people DO get cast - but not very often in main roles. If you're good with playing character parts, then go for that, and use your weight as a selling point.

If you want to get your teeth into better roles, then your physicality is unavoidably a major element of the casting process, and you need to get your arse into gear.

What about am dram, in the meanwhile? That makes you much more liable to get cast, and it will help you continue to grow and develop as an actor whilst you're in the process of losing weight.

If you're talking TV or cinema, then the body fascism is more intense. If you're talking theatre, then your build is still an issue, but if you're an awesome actress and if you can sing too, then it's maybe not quite so intense. But still pretty bad, you know.

I love acting, myself. Love. It. All I'm doing at the moment is amateur dramatics; I did audition for drama school in London some years ago, and got a callback, but my weight was brought up as an issue. They weren't mean, but they were fairly brutally blunt - for a fat lass to get cast, she's getting cast as A Fat Lass.

Your acting opportunities are limited - it's not hopeless, but your opportunities are limited, so you need to have balls of solid steel, a very thick skin and a shedload of resilience. And keep in mind that the majority of actors, at any given time, are paying the bills by waitressing/temping/earning their bread in some other fashion. If you're passionate about it, and you can bounce back from rejection (which is a big part of being an actor), and if you're GOOD - well, you go for it, girl.

And do it now. Don't put it off until you've lost weight. Seize the day.

Last edited by broadabroad; 07-14-2008 at 08:17 AM.
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:27 AM   #4  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

to 3FC's

DON'T EVER GIVE UP !!!!!

Leenie
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:59 PM   #5  

Welcome and good luck with your weight loss.

Keep your dreams alive by making them realities. Get your focus and do whatever it takes to succeed. However, don't let the weight be an issue in your pursuit.

Accept no limits.
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:50 PM   #6  
Fay

S/C/G: 240/see ticker/140

Height: 5/3

Further to your question about where to start - I wouldn't worry about needing to go to the US, because shedloads of US telly is filmed in Vancouver. Have you thought about looking into Extras work? Because normal-looking people (ie all shapes and sizes) are usually wanted for extras work. It would be a start, something to put on your resume, and would help you network...
broadabroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #7  
Regina

S/C/G: 325/Ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Hey :] I am new as well! Good luck to you and don't give up on acting :]
lessthanthreeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:35 AM   #8  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadabroad View Post
Further to your question about where to start - I wouldn't worry about needing to go to the US, because shedloads of US telly is filmed in Vancouver. Have you thought about looking into Extras work? Because normal-looking people (ie all shapes and sizes) are usually wanted for extras work. It would be a start, something to put on your resume, and would help you network...
I can't echo this enough! Vancouver is a MAJOR hotspot for filming right now for small AND major productions. In fact, we had to fly a few of our cast members from projects in Vancouver for the film I just worked on. Extras do come in all shapes and sizes and I agree that is a good place to start. It will get you in front of people who may think of you for something else and will give you an opportunity to cut your chops a bit in front of a camers. With digital cinema available to everyone and huge incentives to film in places like Canada, there is a lot of work available.

Don't give up- there are all kinds of roles for all kinds of people. Good luck!

Last edited by junebug41; 07-16-2008 at 12:35 AM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote