Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #1  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

S/C/G: 168/115/110 Now: 129/129/105

Height: 5'2"

Default Call me Ishmael...

Okay, don't really.

My name is Laura, and I'm a 21 year old college student with an intense desire to make some changes in her life. Not only changes like "find that thing that keeps beeping at 3:38 AM" or "stop wearing cheap lipsmacker lip gloss", but huge things like losing weight, getting healthy, and revamping my self-image. Although I really would like to find what the heck is making that beeping noise.

I'm going to start off with this well-known, cliche saying: "I've struggled with weight issues my entire life." I was born a bit chubby, and over the years I sort of convinced myself that I would die chubby...one of those cheery old ladies with the arm flab that give you old mints from their purses and wear tan velcro walking shoes. But the older I get, the more I realize I'm not ready to submit to a life of slowly teetering towards self-destruction and apathetic degradation. I want to experience my youth in a meaningful, exciting, unapologetically vibrant way, instead of this muffled existence sitting on the sidelines with a hot dog. I want to feel a way I've never felt before, and I think everyone here knows just what I'm talking about.

That dancing carrot emoticon on the righthand side of this textbox is really starting to creep me out.

I am a completely unsettled individual in an untold number of respects. I have a feeling that the weight thing will be only one of many changes that will come within the next two to three years, and I'm not only excited, but extremely frightened. But this first step will give me the courage and the confidence to take these ridiculous chances, knowing that I'm secure in my own skin and unafraid of what people think of me.

I know that is a somewhat vague paragraph, but this is one of those things where you're not sure how much information is TOO much information, especially on the first introduction. I once had a random man tell me how his ex girlfriend gave him two different STD's, and how he still hasnt told his current girlfriend...who then proceeded to exit the metro on the next stop. I was just kind of sat there dumbfounded thinking, "Wow, that guy really should have brought a crossword puzzle or something."

Yeah, seriously...that carrot...needs to be eaten by a giant pixelated rabbit.

But I hope to lose somewhere around 40 pounds within a year. While aimlessly surfing this incredible website I can see that my goal weight isn't as lofty as some others, who have done incredible jobs losing over fifty to a hundred pounds. But I know that these 40 pounds aren't just going to melt off by themselves, and I have to give up some of my best friends in life...Mr. Junk, Mrs. Junk, and little Junk Junior...and that's going to be the hardest part. But I also know that seeing what you guys have accomplished here, If I can't push myself to lose 40, then I'm a complete wimp. Like Mike Tyson at his momma's house.

I started excercising today, and feel wonderfully sore. I can't wait to feel it more often...its like the tingle that lets you know something's working. And it's also a constant reminder for you to not put something in your mouth that would completely undo all the work you just did.

I just realized how long this introduction is becoming...so I guess I'll cut this short. Thanks for putting up with my ramblings, guys, and I hope I didn't freak any of you out. Like this dang CARROT...

Please, please, please keep in touch with me, I know any support would be such a huge help. You have no idea how serious I am about doing this, but struggles are going to come. Cravings are starting even now!

Okay, I'm going to see that thing in my dreams tonight. I just know it.

~Laura~
RedPorcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 167/148.2/144

Height: 5'8"

Hi Laura,
Welcome! This is a great place to be. Everyone is very supportive, even the pelvic thrust carrot who seems to have gotten off to a bad start with you (he'll make it up in time). I don't think it matters how much any of us have to lose, if you're here, we'll give you support.
Silverstar33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #3  

By the way, love the Quinn reference. What a great book!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #4  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

Haha, this may sound a bit illiterate and uncultured...but what Quinn reference? I don't think I've read it. :-/

Kidding.

And thanks so much for the welcome!

Last edited by RedPorcupine; 06-28-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:34 PM   #5  

Too funny! I was sure you were referring to "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn.

The story begins with a newspaper ad: "Teacher seeks pupil, must have an earnest desire to save the world. Apply in person."

Just reminded me of your first sentence about change.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:35 PM   #6  

And I just saw the kidding part!

Time to slow down and read before posting!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 PM   #7  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

Haha, it's actually a reference to the first line of Moby Dick, but I know exactly the book that you're talking about!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #8  

Oh man! And I just read Moby Dick this year... if you had said "Just call me Quequeg" I would have been good!
Old 06-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

OK, you two are truly funny! So, what's your major, anyway? Journalism? Lit? You make for a very interesting read!

Now, how do I add in a few carrots? Oh, here they are...
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:36 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 241.5/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

So, what do you think of this guy? That was a great introduction, and I wish you all the luck you need, but I must say that I still love LipSmackers!
auntie g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:43 PM   #11  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

Welcome, Enjoyed your post. I'm sure you will get a lot of encouragment here. I hope you make peace with the dancing carrot. I know he can be intimidating but he is really harmless. But since you have a problem with him

Is that better for you?
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #12  
Blue Blood

S/C/G: 293/274/150

Height: 5'10"

hehehe auntieg. great minds think alike!
djay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:46 PM   #13  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Hahahahahaha. I just LOVE your post. So cute. I hope you stick around the threads! If you want an accountability partner - I'm your girl. And I hate carrots - so you're safe. I'll stick to the dancing broccoli. Good luck on your weight loss and the beeping sound!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #14  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

I don't know, the dancing broccoli looks a bit menacing with it's foofy green plume of fury over its head. Although the green IS much more festive.

I'm actually studying a few things...I'm about to finish up an AA in liberal arts and an AA in fine arts, and I've earned two certificates in 3D computer animation. I actually work in the media arts lab as a TA helping people out with 3Ds max and Softimage XSI, which is awesome. My goal is to work at Rhythm and Hues studio in LA as a modeller/animation technician.

After this semester I'm transfering to Cal State to get a BA in graphic design, as well. I'm really excited.

I suppose I'll have to give the dancing carrot a chance, although he might not like the fact that I'm going to be eating many of his kind over the next year. They won't be as hyper, I'm afraid, especially after being bagged up and stuck in the boxy tundra I like to call my fridge.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #15  
I heart 3FC

S/C/G: 210/197/135

Height: 5'2" Age: 28

Hey, nobody's done the banana yet!

Welcome!

Last edited by just keep swimming; 06-29-2008 at 01:48 AM.
just keep swimming is offline   Reply With Quote