Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:13 AM   #1  

Default Hi, I'm new and need help

I have been watching what I have been eating for the last three years and have lost wieght. in Oct. I found out I had Diabetes 2 and was put on pills. Now I find I am gaining weight and I am not happy. It is very discouraging. The Drs. always tell you to lose wieght to get a good blood glucose number, but whay do they make pills for this that make you gain weight. I feel so helpless in this situation.
cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:27 AM   #2  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

Hey Cookie, welcome!

I know NOTHING about Diabetes medication, but have you talked to your dr about the weight gain? Has he experimented with different kinds of Type 2 Diabetes medicine, or did he just put you on this one and send you on your way?
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:43 AM   #3  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi COOKIE . . . . . . I'm the Moderator in the Diabetes Support Forum. Hope you will come over and join us . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=203 . . . losing weight is just about the best possible thing you can do to control your disease but, believe me, I know all too well how difficult that can be.

Hope to see you soon and hope that we will be able to find some answers for you too.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #4  
Party Starter.

S/C/G: 200/183/140

Height: 5'3"

I am not an expert, but I work in the medical field and I believe they have a new medication - Januvia? - that is for Diabetes and it doesn't cause weight gain. If memory serves me correctly, most Diabetes medications (pills atleast) cause weight gain. You should speak with your doctor about this medication - some doctors hesistate to prescribe medications until they have been on the market for a certain amount of time because adverse reactions and health complications usually take some time before they are known to the public. But, it is worth the DISCUSSION... some doctors are very set in their ways and prescribe the same medications for everyone... and it doesn't always prove effective for everyone's lifestyle.

Diabetes can be managed well with a good diet. If motivation and incentive has ever been an issue for you (as I know it is for me) then use this diagnosis as incentive. I remember back when I was losing weight a few years ago. I went from 220 to 170... and yes it was fueled by a lot of things, but I was really scared about some blood work that came back regarding my cholesterol levels. My doctor wanted me to take Lipitor, so I filled the prescription but never took it. I thought... man... I can do this. Diabetes CAN be managed with diet. I am not promoting skipping the medications because high cholesterol and Diabetes are two different beasts... but it will help I know that.

Ask your doctor for a Diabetes-specific diet... or even search for it online. It can give you a baseline as to what you should and should not be eating... and then you can research the different diets available and see which one is the closest. You can do this! Check into that Januvia and work hard, girl. You can manage this problem and keep losing weight. Have faith!
fromshantoslim is offline   Reply With Quote