Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220.0/218.4/125.0

Height: 5'8"

Red face 22 with ten pounds to show for every year

Hello out there. I'm very new to this site but very old to dieting.

I have been a pudge-a-potamus my whole life and am so tired of it. At one point I had lost 70 pounds and have gained it all back! I'm an emotional eater and also just really love food. In short I need a new way to diet (The first time around was not the healthiest which is probably why it didn't stick.) So I was hoping maybe everyone who would like to help out someone new would send your number one tip or thought, to kind of kick start my existence here on this site and in my new home (I recently left the nest for the very first time.)

I'm at 220 and want to lose 100 lbs, so if you have more than one tip I'd be really pleased to hear those too!

Thank you to anyone who posts.

New and Alone.
bukirouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Hi there Bukirouge

Well... the first problem is.... dieting. Around here you'll see a lot of people talking about changes they make. Permanent changes. Dieting tends to have this temporary mentality. In reality, if we go back to what we were doing before... then all we're going to get is what we got before... fat! So, say no to dieting. Say yes to changing your life!

There are a few ways to go about this... some people have a plan or program they follow, others are making baby steps by changing one thing at a time to become healthier & lose weight. If you have a look under Diet Central you'll see some of the more common methods being used successfully around here.

You say you're just movin' out on your own Fantastic! And a little scary, eh? I have to say that one of the best things about being on my own now is the ability to decide what comes into my house, what goes into the fridge, and what goes into my mouth. You may find that it's easier to say no to overeating if you just don't buy the stuff that tends to lead you overeat!

I've got just about 100lbs to go, too There's the 100 lb club to check out, and the 20-somethings But, truly the whole site is great for support and friendships.

So! Keeping in mind that you want to take the weight off, but more importantly KEEP the weight off. Why not start with one thing in mind that you can do that will bring you closer to that goal? Drinking more water... eating a few more vegetables.... taking a short walk... small things

Make sure you look around & post wherever you're comfortable. We all can't wait to get to know you and help you on your way!

Best of success!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:21 PM   #3  

S/C/G: obese/obese/healthy

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faerie View Post
You say you're just movin' out on your own Fantastic! And a little scary, eh? I have to say that one of the best things about being on my own now is the ability to decide what comes into my house, what goes into the fridge, and what goes into my mouth. You may find that it's easier to say no to overeating if you just don't buy the stuff that tends to lead you overeat!
I just wanted to say Hi, I'm new here also and that Faerie hit it right on the nose. I love that I don't have to deal with anyone else's junk food. Only bring the good stuff in and you won't eat the unhealthy.

Heather
Fat Chick B Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 PM   #4  
Determined to succeed!

S/C/G: 204.4/181/140

Height: 5ft 6in

Hi,

I'm new here too and have found lots of support on this website. Everyone is soooo nice and helpful!

I'm doing WW online due to my work schedule and this coming Monday will be my 3rd weigh-in. This past week I added walking on a treadmill at the gym to my plan. It took me a week or so to get in the routine of learning the points of foods, cooking & planning meals. I have found loads of helpful ideas from the many threads about recipes, etc. I have set a goal for myself at the gym to walk 3 miles each day and take Sundays off. It takes me about one hour going at a speed of 2.8 to 3.3. I watch my heart rate and try to keep it in the fat burning range for my age... so I will increase or decrease the speed every few minutes based on my heart rate... sort of a mild interval training thing.

I too love food. I mean really love food. When I look back on the special times of my life I can somehow always remember where & what we ate to celebrate. When speaking with some friends who do not have issues with extra weight it was a real eye-opening experience to realize that they do not remember the food/places they ate during celebrations (one exception is that they all remember the restaurant where they became engaged...) Anyway, this made me realize that I am spending way too much of my thinking on the subject of food. My mind has been unbalanced in this area of thinking. Now I am doing my best to think of food more of fuel for my body than food for my soul. It's working slowly but surely. Also eating healthier foods has greatly decreased my cravings for high calorie/fat foods and also seeing my slow but steady weight loss has been a real boost too. Lastly, I want to be healthier and I finally have realized that the path I was on was not taking me to healthy-town, so I have decided to take the fork in the road to the right place.

Please join in on many threads. We are so glad to have you here and we don't want for you to feel alone. I know the lonely feeling and must say that this website has been very helpful for me to not feel so isolated.
Gambaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #5  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Hi,
This site is amazing.... I think you will get a lot of help and inspiration here. I come in here at least once a day...
The one thought I would pass along to you, and because you are so young, is to find out why you eat emotionally or at least open yourself up to the 'whys'... I feel that if you can get a handle on the 'whys'.. it will be your window to a successful weight loss journey.... I am almost 50, and have just begun to know exactly 'why' I eat... Go slow, be strong and have faith... you are not alone....
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:54 PM   #6  
Running Fiend.

S/C/G: 210/165/145

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi!

I'm 20 and have been living on my own since college (at 18) and I love it. Exactly what everyone else said, I love being able to buy my own things. At home my mum was always really great about keeping whatever I wanted in terms of "healthy food" in the house, but I have a younger brother and sister and they get the occasional box of cookies and granola bars and I can binge on pretty much anything. It's nice being in control.

You sound like you have experience in dieting and I definitely encourage you to look around and find something that doesn't feel like deprivation. I think that's the key to being able to do it long term. Find something you can stick with forever. There are TONS of options out there that work differently for everyone.

Good luck!
rockstar87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:02 PM   #7  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

you are no longer alone!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 220.0/218.4/125.0

Wow! Thanks to everyone who posted so quickly!!

Sweet Caroline: Yours really stuck out to me, because I think I know why I emotionally overeat...both my parents were always morbidly obese and are stress/emotion eaters, I think it was a family taught coping strategy, its also one of the key ways we express love. It was also the only common ground I had with my parents for many years, the fact that we enjoyed the same TV shows and loved to chow down while watching them... so whats the next step? I mean, I imagine deprogramming, but how do you go about it?

Also I never feel like cooking... after two jobs I buy whats fast and cheap-ish and scarf it down. I know its nutritionally stripped food for the most part and its getting crazy price-y, any advice?
bukirouge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:23 PM   #9  
Anne

S/C/G: 407/358-Dec2007/tracker/125

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukirouge View Post
Also I never feel like cooking... after two jobs I buy whats fast and cheap-ish and scarf it down. I know its nutritionally stripped food for the most part and its getting crazy price-y, any advice?
Learn to cook.

Seriously though. I'm sure others will jump in with easy things to make (I like to cook, so I'm not always that helpful). Soups are great when you get home and you want something right away. You can make a pot when you have time and freeze some of it. I've seen people recommend a small grill to make fast chicken breasts, fish and such. A few quick seasonings can change the taste so you don't feel you're eating the same things

I personally love fruits, veggies, salads, and such. If you don't love 'em, find ones you at least like. Look for low fat yogurt and cottage cheese, mix in your own fruit. (I admit I don't eat either, but they're fast.)

Eat breakfast. Really. I didn't used to. In fact I wouldn't eat that much during the day at all. Then I'd hit the drive-thru on the way home... and then make dinner. (very bad) Portion snacks through the day (fruit, yogurt, nuts, etc.) so you're not starving when you get home.

Whatever you do, enjoy yourself.
RealCdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #10  

Hi and welcome to the board!!

I just signed up too, and you'll find LOTS of great advice from everyone. I agree with the others about being able to stock your own pantry and fridge with healthier choices.

As for the not knowing how to cook part? That's ok! There's TONS of delicious, healthy and quick meals you can learn to make!

I know this isn't for everyone, but I pretty much follow a vegetarian lifestyle for the most part (and sometimes have fish), but Boca and Morning Star put out REALLY great meat-alternatives!! If junk food is your weakness, I suggest Boca patties or the Boca chicken patties...you really can't tell the difference! And morning star puts out AMAZING meatless hot dogs!

I know it's a huge change, but when you're really craving a cheeseburger or something, it's a great alternative and SO much more healthy for you!

Anyway, best of luck hun. You'll have tons of support here!!
Its Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #11  
Image isn't Character

S/C/G: 278(54%BF)/180(10%)/175(8%)

Hey Bukirouge, welcome!!! I'd have to agree with what a lot of people here are saying, just find things you can enjoy. If you love your diet and love your exercise regimen, you'll enjoy what you're doing and it will only take you that much further. At first, I had a problem with not wanting to lose weight for myself, so I'd lose and gain back, lose and gain back. But once you really want to do it for you and you alone, you'll definitely reach and exceed all your goals. Good Luck!!!
griffogrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I buy snack foods and portion them into baggies as soon as i get home: pretzels, low fat popcorn, low fat graham crackers, dried cereals, etc. Throughout the week you can just grab a couple and throw them in your purse/backpack. You are not alone!!!!
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:09 PM   #13  
Fan fan tastic

S/C/G: 200

Height: 4' 11'

Hi! I'm new. I suggest some packaged rice mix say Uncle Ben's Au Gratin with another packaged food called On the Go Bistro, mine was Haddock with Ratatouille. The Haddock was supposed to be microwaved, which I choose not to own. I cooked the rice and then added the the barley and fish mix and it was comfort good! I got a quote from EZ Money
I started my "JOURNEY OF BETTER CHOICES 07/23/07 with the TRUTH ~ I got FAT from ROTTEN CHOICES!
wildgrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 183.8/183.8/150

Height: 5'4

lexi1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 195 / 147 / 145

Height: 5'9"

Throughout my adult life, I've lost, gained more than I lost, lost again, gained more than I lost, etc. Every time I lost, I went on a "diet", restricting my food in general until I reached goal. Then, I stopped dieting. Slowly, I resumed my old habits and I gained what I'd lost and more.

What I never paid attention to was nutrition. Until the last year, my veggie intake was ridiculously, abysmally low. My fruit intake wasn't much better. Whole grains were a rarity. I didn't eat a lot of "bad" stuff like fried foods, dessert, ice cream, etc. But, I didn't eat a lot of healthy stuff. This time around, I'm learning how to eat properly and intend to keep it up forever and ever. I'm even trying to be a little vegetarian. Have you ever known a fat vegetarian? Once I hit goal, I intend to stay at it for the rest of my life.

Change your life. Learn to eat like the person you want to be. It's kinda like being the person that the person you would want to marry would want to marry. Don't be fake, of course!
LessEveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote