Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Height: 5'3"

Default Hi! New and want to introduce myself

Hi!

I'm new here, and really want to make new friends here as we all lose weight and get healthy together.

Briefly, my story is similar to everyone's (just proving that people all over the world have the same struggles). I am 40, been divorced, have children, new career i love. I weigh 250 and can't stand it!!! The funny thing is, sometimes I still think I'm pretty, and so I don't really see the weight. Do any of you have that? I think that's why I put on the weight - I didn't really see it. Although if I'm buying size 3X, how could I not see it?

I've recently read the Mehmet Oz book You On A Diet. It's really good, really opened my eyes to the health issues. Also, I'm going on a vacation in 3 weeks, and I wonder if I starve myself for 3 weeks, how much could I lose? I know that's desperation talking, and I love food too much to be able to actually starve myself. But I am desperate!

So, today is a new beginning. And I have one question as I begin here: How do I get one of those weight tracker things? I would love to be able to track my progress.

Thanks! - Avi0903
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #2  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

for me everyday is a new beginning! it helps me to stay focused each and every day to eat and be healthy!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Hi Avi -

Weight trackers are restricted to members who've been here for 30 days and 30 posts, due to some major problems with spammers (they ruin things for all of us!).

A lot of us put on the weight without really seeing it...and then something opened our eyes. That eye-opener can be different...mine was a photo, yours was reading about health effects...but it can be life changing!

In three weeks, you can get yourself in great habits so that you don't gain weight over your vacation...you can get yourself going on the right path, and you can feel about a million times better about yourself because you know you're taking care of your body. So don't delay...start on a healthy track NOW.

You may want to visit the 100 lb club, a group for people with around 100 lbs or more to lose. It is a wonderful, supportive group, so head on over and check it out. Otherwise, look around, find a spot, and get to posting. I can't wait to get to know you better!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #4  

Thanks Max and Amanda! I love this site, I feel so blessed to have found it. The stories are so amazing. Amanda, your story and collage really touched me, and Max you already lost 10 pounds!

I took a friend and went for a walk during our lunch break today. It is a new beginning.

That's OK if I can't use the weight tracker yet - in 30 days I won't have such an embarassing starting number. I can look at the bright side!

Thanks for your help.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:46 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

hi Avi0903 --
welcome! I just signed up a few days ago too, and I am finding this site really energizing and helpful; hope you will too : ) I think it's great and absolutely RIGHT that you see how pretty you are already while still being motivated to get healthier.

BTW, what are your vacation plans?! I hope you have a great time!
anita
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:11 PM   #6  

Hi Anita, I love meeting you all! This is such a friendly place. You gave me something to think about- I was thinking it's somehow not normal that I look at myself and think I'm pretty. I was talking to my brother the other day and told him I was starting a diet and he said it's about time, you have like 90 pounds to lose. Truly, when I look at myself, I don't really see it. But I like how you put a positive spin on it. We SHOULD all see ourselves as pretty.

Anyway, do you know the country song "she let herself go", I think by Alan Jackson? It's about a girl who's husband left her, thinking she'd fall apart. Instead, she let herself go on cruises, and vacations, and so on. So, I'm taking my 11 year old daughter and we are going to my brother's place in upstate NY. It's near a lake with boating and it's really beautiful. My ex never wanted to go. But we're going now!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:27 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 169/169/140

Height: 5' 5"

Wink

Hi Avi0903,

I am new here, too - just joined. I agree with what you said about not seeing the weight. I feel like I suddenly woke up one day and needed to lose 30lbs. But even then, some days I can look in the mirror and think I look great. It can be very frustrating!

I wouldn't suggest doing anything drastic to lose a few pounds before vacation. It isn't healthy and I would be afraid you would then be more like to splurge during that time!

Zannegirl
zannegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 PM   #8  
Feel down, look up

S/C/G: 163/157/136

Height: 5'6"

Cool

Hi Avi0903,

I'm new here too! I got nervous when you said you were going to starve yourself. I was glad to hear that you won't!!
I was at a decent (but not my goal) weight last summer. I have fibromyalgia and my doctor put me on a medication and my weight soared! The medication is not helping so I am NOT going to stay on it (sounds like I'm trying to convince somebody huh?). I do see the doc on Thursday and I am going to get off the med, eat healthy, exercise and lose 20 lbs by summer (thus my name). I still won't be at my goal weight of 136 but 20 lbs would be great!
Now about the weight tracker...I went to all the trouble (not that much trouble really) of designing a weight tracker and found out I can't have one for a month. I guess I should read a little better!
Here's hoping you will have wonderful vacation.
Summer
20 lbs by summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #9  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 240/235/115

Height: 5'3

I also recently joined this site and the people on here have been great. They have given me some great advice and I know they'll be able to do the same for you. Good luck on your new journey.

smilingk79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:26 PM   #10  
~Don't Postpone Joy~

S/C/G: 241.8/228/199.0

Hi, I think you'll be happy you found this site, I'm new too 2 weeks or so. I'm kinda addicted to my nightly visits... Tons of info and ideas... you'll get great support... Good Luck
Sweetcaroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 AM   #11  

I already love this site - you are all so helpful. I have a friend who has fibromyalgia, she finds it very painful. Is it for you, Summer?

And Zanne, I do feel this desperation to lose the weight before my trip in 3 weeks. Last night I went out and bought the slim fast bars, and if I do those for 2 meals, a good dinner, and exercise, maybe I can lose 20 pounds? I know I sound crazy, maybe I am, I just feel this huge need to do something drastic. It's like I just woke up and all this weight is on me.

Have any of you been successful with slim fast?

And hi to Smiling and Caroline, this is such a great place to talk.