Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 135/135/110

Height: 5'3

Default Going for round #2.

I'm terrible at introductions, but I'll give it a shot.

Let me start by saying, as the title implies, this is my second weight loss attempt. My first ended a couple years ago. I was obese in preschool, and by the age of eleven I was 5'2 tops and 220+. I can't say whether I gained or lost weight after that, because I was terrified of the scale (I still am, but that's because the electric one is broken). But anyway, when I was 13 I started trying to lose it. At 15 I was 5'3 and 110, and, having lost the weight, went back to my bad habits (mostly drinking Coke like water).

So now I weigh 130-5, 17 years old. All I want to do is drop 20 pounds, if that, and keep it off in a healthy way. I've already switched from Coke to Fresca and water. Now I just need to start exercising instead of playing video games all day.

Oh, also, I know I'm probably young compared to most of the women here, but trust me, it's impossible to get good advice from girls my age. My mom's pretty useless, too. She had a doctor prescribe me thyroid pills and amphetamine. Now I have heart problems because neither of us knew what Adderall was at the time. :)
Nemain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 AM   #2  
Project Me!

S/C/G: 221.2/165.6/125

Height: 5'2"

Ahoy!!

I know the feeling! I'm 22 and it's imposible to get information from woman my age too. I wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions just ask everyone is willing to help you!
starbucksfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Nemain!

There are some great ladies (and men!!!) all over this site that have good advice & plenty of support to give. It's so excellent that you want to do this in a healthy way & keep it off.

<motherly advice> I do have to say that I hope you've gone to your doctor even briefly beforehand. I hate how this is going to sound, but since you're still young, you are still growing some. I just would hate for you not to get all the proper nutrition you need. </motherly advice>

Okay, that being said, find a place you're comfortable with on the boards & post away ^^

Best of luck!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 AM   #4  
navywife022506

S/C/G: 238/228/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemain View Post
I'm terrible at introductions, but I'll give it a shot.

Let me start by saying, as the title implies, this is my second weight loss attempt. My first ended a couple years ago. I was obese in preschool, and by the age of eleven I was 5'2 tops and 220+. I can't say whether I gained or lost weight after that, because I was terrified of the scale (I still am, but that's because the electric one is broken). But anyway, when I was 13 I started trying to lose it. At 15 I was 5'3 and 110, and, having lost the weight, went back to my bad habits (mostly drinking Coke like water).

So now I weigh 130-5, 17 years old. All I want to do is drop 20 pounds, if that, and keep it off in a healthy way. I've already switched from Coke to Fresca and water. Now I just need to start exercising instead of playing video games all day.

Oh, also, I know I'm probably young compared to most of the women here, but trust me, it's impossible to get good advice from girls my age. My mom's pretty useless, too. She had a doctor prescribe me thyroid pills and amphetamine. Now I have heart problems because neither of us knew what Adderall was at the time.
I was big growing up. All through grade school and middle school I was a round pudgy thing and then I thinned out in high school. I was 5'4" and 150 pounds, but I am also large boned, so I looked pretty good. After my first marriage, I ballooned up to 215 pounds. I lost all of that weight and remarried. I gave birth to my first child 2 years ago. When I went to have him I was 222lbs. 3 days later I was 212lbs. and 6 weeks later I was 170. I went on the depo shot after that and now I am weighing in at 230lbs. I have lost 8lbs since I ended the depo and began a diet and exercise plan. You can do it girl, just have faith and come here for support
navywife022506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:06 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 252/215/150

Height: 5'10

Good luck, It will be great to get this problem under control at a young age
Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 163/Ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Welcome! I know how hard it is to be an overweight teen. It's been 20 years, but they are still painful memories. I used to starve myself and take diet pills, which was not the right way to do it.

Be safe and lose weight in a healthy manner. We will all be here for advice and support! All you have to do is ask.

Good Luck!
crbowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:48 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 135/135/110

Height: 5'3

Thanks for the support, everyone. =) I'm thinking that I may not even have to lose that much weight if I tone up. I'm at a "normal" weight now anyway, I just carry it badly (in all the troublesome places: upper thighs/arms, lower stomach and so on).

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbowles View Post
Welcome! I know how hard it is to be an overweight teen. It's been 20 years, but they are still painful memories. I used to starve myself and take diet pills, which was not the right way to do it.

Be safe and lose weight in a healthy manner. We will all be here for advice and support! All you have to do is ask.

Good Luck!
That's what I meant about getting bad advice. That's what everyone told me. "Pop a few caffeine pills and skip dinner, it's not hard!" Luckily food isn't my problem; I hate most sweets and I eat a lot of "hippie food." It's just laziness and soda, which I admit is pretty pathetic on my part.
Nemain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 08:32 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi and welcome. We're glad you're here.
You seem to have a pretty good head on your shoulders and are very smart about becoming slimmer in a good healthy way.
I hope you're reading lots and becoming familiar with all the wonderful forums 3FC has to offer.
I wonder if you might be interested in the Featherweights threads. We have some younger gals there too.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=197
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:31 AM   #9  

Height: 5'-2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemain View Post
I'm thinking that I may not even have to lose that much weight if I tone up. I'm at a "normal" weight now anyway, I just carry it badly (in all the troublesome places: upper thighs/arms, lower stomach and so on)
You are such a smart young woman! I was really glad to read that last bit. It's so easy to get fixated on a number. Particularly in these days of thin models and celebs.
When I was your age (which feels like yesterday, I swear), I was 5'-2" and weighed 128. I was running a mile a day, and I was in great shape. Naturally I had this distorted idea that I was fat at the time. But when I look back at photos, I was slim and muscular.
Learning to eat well and to make exercise a regular part of your life is the best gift you can give yourself. You may be young in years, but you're old in wisdom.
Welcome!
ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Welcome!

First off congratulations on losing the weight! Great job and for nipping regain in the bud.

I would suggest the featherweights forum and the maintenance forum. Those will be good places for you to learn how weight loss changes when you have very little to lose. Slow and patient.

I think you are right that you may not have that much to lose . 15 and 17 are worlds apart developmentally...you might be the same height, but you were still growing. What was appropriate at 15 may just be too skinny now. Focus on toning and exercise and making healthy choices and you may decide you like something in between.

Last edited by ennay; 02-02-2008 at 01:50 PM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote