Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #1  
ur gettin' schooled, son.

S/C/G: 164/157/143

Height: 5'7"

Red face Hello...! Natural Set Weight?

Hey there, guess I should do a short introduction or something.

I'm new, which is probably obvious. Um... hm.. well, the problem I have with my weight is that I can't get too big (for whatever reason, I can't eat myself beyond 158 or so... I tried such crazy experiments back in college), so that's good, but I can't get skinny either. I want to get skinny, but pushing below 148 is hard for me. I might get to 145, but beyond that my body completely plateaus everytime. It's really odd. I'm 5'7", so 145 is just pretty average. My goal would be 130, or even 125. When I am in the upper 140's and trying to lose weight, I am running, swimming, rollerblading and eating salads and turkey. I do not touch fried foods, soda, ect, and it still doesn't come off.

So, I'm not sure if my body's set point is in the 150's. If it is, that's pretty depressing for me. Ah well... maybe I will make it this time. I'm starting my diet right after Christmas. The first 10 pounds should be pretty easy, but then... yeah... I doubt I'll go much further unless you guys have some tips. =/

Anyways, that's my story! Thanks for listening.
Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:50 PM   #2  
ur gettin' schooled, son.

S/C/G: 164/157/143

Height: 5'7"

Oh, I forgot to mention - I am used to eating whatever I get the urge to eat at the moment, so does anyone have any tips for curbing that? I find it really hard to tell myself no to anything.
Mizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 09:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 172/172/145

Height: 5' 6"

Hello Mizu:

I'm new also (this is my second post). The book "Rethinking Thin," by Gina Kolata has some really interesting information about set-point weight and supports the theory that the body has a natural weight range of 10-15 pounds variation. In order to get below that one must really stuggle against one's nature!

My set point weight for most of my teens and twenties was between 140 - 145. I went to Weight Watcher's twice when I had crept up into the 155 mark and managed to get to my lowest weight of 138, but I couldn't maintain that. Now in my, ahem, late-thirties, my weighthas begun to creep up and up and up and I think that my set-point weight of yore has "reset" itself upward.

So, I too venture into the world of these fair fat ladies to glean some advice and stay focused on really watching what I eat and increasing my activity.

good luck!
Heidijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 10:00 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Some folks do find that their weight loss tends to stall or plateau at certain points. I'm fighting with a slow period right now! But, I have to admit that I haven't been as strict at following my plan, which is calorie counting, as I have been in the past.

What are you folks using as your weight loss program? Most members find that unless they are using some way of assessing how much they eat and exercise, they remain pretty clueless about why they are not losing.

Browse around! Check out the reviews of different plans (click Diets on the 3FC main page)! Post in different forums with questions.

Enjoy!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

i second what Jay states...we really need a plan to help lose weight I don't like to use the word diet...but essentially a plan that helps us figure out if we are eating too much...ie WW, calorie counting, south beach etc. Find something that works for you. Stay within the plan, write down everything you eat. And finally i would highly recommend starting a wt training program. You are doing a lot of aerobics which is good. However, you will find that building some muscle (and i'm not talking being ms universe) will tone you to make you slimmer looking and keep your metabolism higher..therefor buring more calories thr the day. at first during wt training you may not find that you loose any wt...but take measurements and you will see you are loosing inches. Good luck!
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote