Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-09-2007, 06:39 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Height: 5'7"

Red face Totally overwhelmed... where to start?

Hi everyone,

I joined the forum after reading the amazing stories in the Goal section. I actually started crying because I want more than anything to experience what those people felt like!! I am 21, 250 lb., and have always struggled with my weight. I have never been on a real diet plan like Weight Watchers (although I was on eDiets for a little, but the meal plans seemed totally bizarre sometimes). I recently got the Reader's Digest eating guide, which seemed extremely sensible and easy to follow, but I am definitely not the type of person who plans what they're going to eat (and I guess that's my downfall!!!) I also do not have a lot of time to cook!

I guess I'll explain the title of my post. I want to start eating healthily and losing weight. I'm not even sure where to start. Counting calories? Measuring out food? Going on a diet like South Beach or something? Completely cutting out sugar? Go to a nutritionist? Where do I begin? Sometimes I feel so overwhelmed I don't know what to eat, then I get super hungry and eat some totally weird and unhealthy food.

My circumstances are these: I live at home with my mom so we often eat the same foods. Although she wants to lose weight she's definitely not as gung-ho as I am about it. However since I got a full time (and sedentary... ) job, neither of us have time to cook at night and have been eating out...a LOT.

I do know that it's not something that can be fixed easily, or that will happen instantly. I know I need some motivation to remember that I'm not just doing this for looks, but for health and to ward off diseases and problems down the way.

Any thoughts on what I should do?? What should my next step be?

Thanks and nice to meet you all
Potato8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME.

You have definitely come to the right place. I wish there was a place like this 25 years ago when I was your age. Now is the time to change your life for the better. You have to first get it in your head that this must be about change. If you are not willing to do what it takes then it will be a diet and not a lifestyle change. I'm sorry but if thats the case it will only be temporary and not a permanent change. I personally will never go on a diet again. For me it meant counting calories and then exercising. I have learned many things along the way. Please don't take this the wrong way but you must, must throw the excuses away and do it. There are healthy alternatives at every fast food restaurant as well as burgers, you can choose to have the burger or you can have a salad with no dressing and a parfait.

First I should of exercised from day one. I probably lost precious lean muscle along with fat because I didn't strength train and do cardio right away.
Second, you may not like to plan but you will have to. I don't necessarily cook all the time. I can grab cottage cheese and a pear for a snack or some lean turkey breast from the deli and some green giant frozen vegetables for lunch, I can have instant oatmeal with fresh berries on the side for breakfast.
The point is in has to be something you will do for a lifetime. It will evolve and change over time, but you must plan and set goals to make it yours and you a success. Good luck to you. 90% of my weight removal has been in my head.
READ READ READ. There is some great information out there and also some garbage only you can decide what will work for you.
I personally have read Superfoods RX by Pratt, YOU on a diet by Oz and Roizen, Body For Life by Phillips. Those three books have most definitely changed my life in everyway possible. Take care.
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 08:49 PM   #3  

Well I am not big on programs because they deprive you of foods you love and the cost is usually shocking. I have lost 80 pounds in 11 months and I did it thru calorie counting and walking. I eat whatever I want (within reason of course) and walk,walk,walk!
I eat a BIG breakfast, an average lunch and a LIGHT dinner. If I want something very caloric I eat it for breakfast so I can work it off thru the day.
I try not to eat after 7:30 at night if at all possible. You can have non-caloric pickles or something like that right up to bedtime but nothing caloric or something VERY,VERY light. You do burn calories while you sleep, just not very much.
I wish you well on your journey. You are certainly among friends here who are in the same position as you are so come on in and join right up. Not every system works for everybody but I just wanted to share mine with you.
God bless,
Judy
jarjonja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

WELCOME!!! I totally get that it can be overwhelming. The good news is it doesn't have to be. There don't have to be a lot of rules, especially not as you're getting started.

I do think it's important to read read read. But at this point, think about making small changes that will start you down your path. Pay attention to what you ARE eating. Think about working on portion control. For exercise, just try to move more. Take the stairs more, walk a little further.

Make a commitment to do this for you, and then start finding ways to work it into your life. This is a great resource as you get started!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #5  
Bring my sexy back!!

S/C/G: 230/229.5/180

Height: 5'8

Hi Potato8,
I understand that it can feel overwhelming to lose a large ammount of weight. I have 50lbs to lose and I have been in denial for quite some time because it seems so hard and then it is depressing to think that you are that much overweight. For me I have tried to focus on why I am overweight rather than any special diet or quick fix. I have discovered that personally I deal with several emotional issues that I have been eating to numb the discomfort that I feel from dealing or not dealing with those.

My goal is to have a healthy relationship with food and then the weight loss will just come naturaly. I also used to be an avid fitness person and I want to get back into taking care of myself in that way as well.

You can do this! Just commit to yourself that you are going to take great care of yourself and get in touch with why you eat what you eat.

I hope that this helps!

Be Blessed!
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

The key to my success as 'loser' has always been to plan. It doesn't matter how busy I am I think in advance about the day ahead and if I know I'm not going to be able to prepare lunch, or am going out on an evening, I plan accordingly. You will never find me out of the house without a healthy snack in my handbag. If I'm going somewhere where I know there'll be no healthy choices to eat (my MILs), I'll take a meal replacement with me.

I also don't get the not having time to cook. I work full-time (with commuting I'm out of the house 50-60 hours a week), have two children (who do a lot of after school activities between them) and keep a house and yet I still manage to cook a meal nearly every evening.

As for where to start, if you have little idea of what healthy food is and what a reasonable portion looks like something like Weight Watchers is a good. I'm not currently doing this myself but do think you can learn a lot by following it.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 250/250/150

Hi all,

Thanks for your tips and introductions. How does one start counting calories? Do you look at an online calorie database first, then cook your meals?

KforKitty, the not cooking thing is mostly a combination of lack of imagination when it comes to cooking and laziness :P I'm going to try to make it a point to cook at least two nights a week from a healthy recipe book. It will definitely be good for our health, not to mention our budget!!
Potato8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 11:24 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

potato-- There are many online calorie counters. Fitday and the daily plate are two. When I cook, I use a program where I input the ingredients and get calorie and nutrient info, then divide into servings...

Others buy little books to keep with them and use pencil and paper. Low tech, but it works!

If you want to try calorie counting, you can also check out the calorie counters forum!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote