Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #1  
Mary

Default new and feel so fat

I have put on a lot of weight in the last two years, came on slow of course so i didn't notice so much. Then one day I woke up and none of my clothes fit, and I looked in the mirror and saw a fat person.

So here I am, trying to shed it. not as easy as it was a few years back. there was a time, not so long ago i could skip desserts, walk every day and the excess would fall off. this time hower, i have been starving for two weeks, walking every day, light aerobics 3 times a week, yoga 3 times (which i am having difficulty getting into) I have arthritis so all the jumping exersises i cannot do.

I am rapidly approaching 50 so i imagine that has a lot to do with my slow weight loss.

I am so discouraged, i got on the scale yesterday and did not lose an ounce!!!

First thing i wanted to do was eat a box of chocolates, luckily I had none in the house, so i went for a walk and cooled my head instead.

So now i am off the weight thing and into the feeling better thing, I was feeling so good this last week, improved mobility and I actually thought my pants were fitting better. I was so down for two days but now trying to think differently about things......new day, new attitude.

I need support though, accountability maybe. So I went looking for it and was recommended this site. The thought that this is how little i have to eat now just to stay at this weight is so very depressing. I like food and a drink now and then. What to do?
A Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 01:07 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Mary!!!

Woah woah woah!!! It took time to put on the extra pounds. It's gonna take time to get them off. So, be patient with yourself.

Also, "starving"... now, that should not be happening. Changing our eating habits & eating healthier often means eating less than we're used to, but "starving" is not healthier is it? How are we supposed to stick with this forever if we're constantly hungry? We wouldn't be able to! Not to mention that starving can sometimes "freeze" the body from losing.

It's not always about how much, but about what we're eating, too. So tell us. What's a day of food look like for you? Are you getting in enough vegetables & fruits? They're so often very filling & tasty that they easily bulk up a meal. Getting water in as well? It could also be that we think we're hungry when we're really just thirsty.

You've made some great changes, though. Adding in exercise, instead of eating those chocolates you took a walk, and changing your attitude about all of this. It's supposed to be an overall positive thing. And that doesn't mean that it's all puppies & sunshine, but as you look back at this time, you shouldn't have to think about how "miserable" it was.

Best of luck! Keep posting to keep us updated!

Last edited by Lovely; 12-06-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:26 PM   #3  
Mary

Default thanks

thanks for your post.

when i say starving, i don't mean i am not eating. I am just hungry all the time.

I eat either cereal or toast for breakfast. whole wheat.

lunch is my biggest meal, small chunk of chicken, either baked or fried with no oil and never skin. veggie of some sort.

my last meal of the day is a huge salad.

2-3 snacks of either an apple or orange.
8 - 10 glasses of water. when i get tired of water I add a bit of cranberry juice. unsweetened.

i have a diet coke now and then, maybe 3 a week.

I am an emotional eater, can't lose stress, hurt and anger that usually makes me turn to chocolate so I've made a committment to be an emotional walker.

I lost my cat a few months ago, she was my best friend. she was always there for me and i just miss her so much. I have a new cat now but we don't have the same connection. My kitty was always there for me, at the door when I left, there when i came home. the best sick person kitty ever, well mine she didn't like anyone else,if i was down or ill she was snuggled right up beside me. and the best listener !!!!

anyhow the cat really has nothing to do with me gaining weight or losing it, I just miss her. I couldn't have loved her more even if I'd given birth to her myself.

thanks again

M
Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 276/236.5/140

Height: 5'6"

Welcome and best of luck losing the weight
hugger1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Losing a pet can be very hard. They're our friend and really do listen when we feel no one else will. And missing your cat does have an effect on you and your health, so I'm sorry that she's passed away.

Emotional eating is tough. We've all been there. But switching a bad habit with a good one is the right idea. So keep at it. And chocolate might be one of those trigger foods that you may decide you cannot keep in your house just for that reason. Not that you ever can't have a piece or two, but that you can't keep it around you in your home due to the effect it has on you.

Your water intake sounds really good! And a diet coke & cranberry juice now and then doesn't hurt anything

It sounds like your choices of food are pretty good, but maybe you're not getting enough. Have you thought about tracking your calories to make sure you're allowing yourself enough food throughout the day? It's very easy and even if you only do it for a few days just to make sure! (Places online like fitday.com or mydailyplate.com are helpful, or just a piece of paper & a pen.) Again, hungry is not a good thing to be constantly. It keeps us distracted, and may lead us to eventually falling off the wagon, because we're just so darn hungry all the time!

You may want to think about possibly adding a fruit or egg to your breakfast. Some form of small carb to your lunch (whole wheat pastas or wheat rices are quite filling). And salads are great, but a small protein added to your dinner may help, too. After all, you're working out some so you'll definitely need your protein to keep you going! And, of course, vegetables vegetables vegetables. They really add to a meal without adding a lot of calories. You can also snack on some during the day & with your fruit snack times to help keep you more full.

Yes it'll take some time, but you'll find meals that will keep you satisfied during the day without adding up to a lot of calories total. It may mean eating smaller meals 6 times a day instead of "larger" ones 3 times. You'll figure it out after trying new things!

Last edited by Lovely; 12-06-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 10:06 AM   #6  
Mary

thanks, and yes I probably am not eating enough, I was so mad at myself that day I decided to start losing weight, and I'm not very patient, I want it now !!!

I really like your suggestions, thanks. makes sense and I can do it.

the small goals plan is good, sure easier to stick with little things than huge ones. I take on other big jobs in small chunks, spring cleaning, yard work etc so why not this. makes sense.

I was feeling so overwhelmed and down. I sure appreciate your posts and support.