Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 11-01-2007, 12:59 PM   #1  

Default Time to get serious!

As my name suggests, my little brother is getting married next June. I was so honored that he and his fiance chose me to be one of their bridesmaids! Then I went with the bride to try on dresses.........
I wasn't very big in high school-I'm 5'4" and weighed about 120 back then (almost 9 years ago!). When I got married five years ago I was around 150. Recently, I weighed in at 180. I never had a scale at my house, I didn't really want to know what I weighed.
So, this summer I bought just the weight watchers books thinking I could do it by myself without the support group. I lost five pounds in the first two months, but haven't really stuck to the plan and haven't lost anymore. I haven't gained it back either, which I guess is a good thing, but I want to loose 45 more pounds by June, so I think I better get with it! I realize I need the support of others that are going through the same thing. I would love any advice on how to stick to a plan, and maybe more ways to incorporate working out into my daily routine. We have an eliptical machine, but I am not very good at using it regularly!
Sister of the groom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

!!! 45 lbs by June is a very real possibility.

WW isn't meant to be done without the meetings. Oh sure it's possible. But what really helps everyone is a good support group. Even if it's online. Like here!

If WW worked for you, you may want to give it a go with meetings. If you're looking for something a little less expensive, then you may want to try Calorie-counting (fitday.com).

The important part of sticking with something is deciding that you are going to, and finding something that you can see yourself using for the rest of your life. You may need to try several plans before finding one that suits your lifestyle & needs.

Exercise is very very important ^^ And it's good that you want to incorporate it into your life. Just remember that it doesn't always have to be big things. Especially not at first. Start with taking the stairs instead of the elevator. Parking farther away from stores. Small trips around the block. You have to MAKE time to exercise. Things will always pop up trying to pull you away from your routine, you have to take control to fit it in anywhere you can.

Make your health your top priority. You CAN do this. Best of luck!!!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #3  
HAPPY HEALTHY ME

S/C/G: 215.4/-/165

Height: 5'2"

Welcome! a far as the elliptical goes I remeber when I first got on one of those and could only do 1 minute but everyday I told myself I was gonna do a minute longer and now I have worked up to 30-40 at a time on level 6. Good luck with your weight loss.
GONNABE165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 03:36 PM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Thumbs up Hello Minne-soda

Would you believe I walked more when I lived in Minne-soda than I do here in Georgia? I really got in a slump when I first moved here. The part of Atlanta that I live in just isn't condusive to walking and getting to a park isn't so convenient either. I bought myself a treadmill and that solved that problem.

Having said that, congrats on being picked a bridesmaid. I have always been the bride and never a bridesmaid. Hmmmmm, wonder why?

I think 45 lbs is realistic for June. I think that the stair climbing idea is great and it might help you build your lower body for doing the eliptical machine. I do think that you "should" give it one more try.

I think you can follow ANY(healthy) plan if you want to. Motivation is key in getting started and remaining committed through all of the ups and downs you will experience. I just wouldn't give up. I used my natural stubborness to an advantage this time. Now, that stubborness is going to see me through to the finish line. Whatever will help motivate you would be where I would start and then keep that focused in your mind as you go through the days.

I don't think it matters what program you follow as long as you follow it.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:28 PM   #5  

Thanks for all the kind welcomes! I do walk everyday, my husband and I have two dogs that need their exercise as much as we do! There is a trail that goes right in front of our house that is beautiful to walk on. I really want to make it work this time, I think I just need someone to be accountable to that is going through the same thing and will have kind words and advice when I need them!
Sister of the groom is offline   Reply With Quote