Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-08-2007, 10:22 AM   #1  

Default New to the site - need advice

Hi-
I'm new to the site, and was wondering if someone can offer me some advice. I've been doing different exercise videos and am not seeing a whole lot of change. Can someone suggest a few to me that may make a change (I would come home everyday - walk a mile and a half, then exercise using the big loser workouts)? I don't feel motivated anymore and haven't worked out for a week now.
dee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #2  
Raised by a cup of coffee

S/C/G: 220.4/162

Height: 5'8"

Hi dee and

Are you watching what you are eating? Diet and exercise go hand in hand! If you are not already, I would suggest starting off with calorie counting. Make sure you are getting the proper amount of calories to hit that healthy 1-2 pound a week weight loss.

Let us know what other things you are doing (with food, etc) and how much you are exercising so that we can help you!

Last edited by modkittn; 09-08-2007 at 10:49 AM.
modkittn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #3  

I'm eating lunch, but work causes me to miss dinner frequently. I just read about this Phase 1 in one of the other forums - can anyone tell me what that is or if I should start it?
Old 09-08-2007, 11:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 206/189.2/135

Height: 5'4"

I think phase 1 is either L.A. Weighloss or South Beach, I'm not positive though, I count calories and have lost about 16 lbs, granted the 1st ten were low carb, I realized that i couldnt live w/ low carb forever, but i can count calories forever, (i can eat what i want, just in moderation) I highly suggest calorie counting, it's sssooo easy!! And I'd also set myself up on dailyplate.com that will tell you what your calorie intake should be to lose 1-2lbs a week. HTH
lots2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 153/130/135

Height: 5'7"

Hello! Are you really busting your hump while exercising? I have no idea about your height/weight stats but, for example, if I were to walk a mile and a half per day and do an exercise video, I wouldn't see the scale budge. It's all relative: a 250-lb., sedentary person who begins a walking regime will likely see a weightloss, but a 150-lb. person probably has to step up her activity level to see a similar drop. Try walking longer distances or at a faster pace a few days per week. I truly feel you must be sweating and at least somewhat out of breath to start putting a dent in your weight.
I agree with the others that you must track what you're eating, because consuming more calories than you burn will lead only to weight gain. And, I suggest you start eating "dinner" -- it doesn't have to be a traditional, full-blown meal, but are you able to eats snacks at your place of employment? Even if it means popping something like apple slices or almonds in your mouth when you take a restroom break? This site has a ton of great ideas for quick, small meals that can be eaten on the go. Eating smaller quantities more frequently helps keep me going throughout the day, and aids in my weight loss/maintenance.
fatburner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 12:55 AM   #6  

i went out yesterday and got a couple of books on eating differently. i had always thought by eating less you were ok but according to a couple of the books, they're suggesting changing the whole diet - so i'm going to start making some other foods, and start working out with weights. can anyone suggest good dvd's for weight training and/or some fun dvds (i want to look forward to doing it instead of seeing it as drudgery). thanks.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:32 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee11 View Post
Hi-
I'm new to the site, and was wondering if someone can offer me some advice. I've been doing different exercise videos and am not seeing a whole lot of change. Can someone suggest a few to me that may make a change (I would come home everyday - walk a mile and a half, then exercise using the big loser workouts)? I don't feel motivated anymore and haven't worked out for a week now.
Hi Dee & !

Do you have access to a library, or maybe you could take an hour or so to surf the net ... each lb. of fat = 3500 calories, so you have to exercise it off and/or cut back on calories, but preferably both. And in my reading it is said that 1200 cal's per day is the minimum a person should eat to stay healthy.

I read Fitness for Dummies and I learned *alot* about the basics. I'm sure there are other good books too.

You might wanna sign up for the free site www.fitday.com. Quick and easy to log what you eat, the site computes calories total, fat/carb/protein. How many calories you eat has a lot to do with weight loss, obviously. If we eat 3000 calories a day and just exercise once a week at a slow pace ...

You can find out on the net how many calories your body uses each day when you are "sedentary", moderately active, or very active, and go from there to determine how many cal's you need to eat.

Good luck!

Last edited by Ladiibbug; 09-11-2007 at 01:33 AM.
Ladiibbug is offline   Reply With Quote