Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 AM   #1  
change

S/C/G: 169/ticker/healthy

Height: 5'3" ish?

Default Newbie to the site and to the dieting world!

Hello all! My name is Olivia and I hail from Huntsville, Alabama. This is my first post, my first week on a diet and my first set of scales I have owned in my life (so far they have found a good home under the bed).

I've been roaming the forums for awhile and the many stories of success have been my motivating factor to get up and walk each morning this week and little did you know, but reading the various posts made my tofu and bean sprouts taste so much better last night!

A wee bit about me. I'm 27 years old and have always been somewhat overweight, but in the past two years I have gained somewhere around of 25 pounds. A) I quit smoking two years ago and B) last year I got married and got really comfortable, if you know what I mean. I joined an online community to aid me in quitting smoking and I don't know if I could have done it without it. So when I decided enough was enough (right about the time I cleaned out my closet looking for something that fit) I searched for you all. Thank you all so much for being here!

I look forward to becoming a part of this community and sharing this journey with you all.

One quick question (among many floating around in my head):

How often do you all weigh yourselves? Like I said, I have never even owned scales (I think they can have a negative affect, too) so I am wondering when to weigh? When to expect results?

Any comments, questions, tips, answers, pointers are welcome!

Cheers!
ollie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:27 AM   #2  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Hi Olivia! Welcome to the board. I just bought my first scale about two months ago and went crazy weighing myself every day and then getting really frustrated about the fluctuations. I went to weighing three times a week and then once a week and now I'm going to try to weigh just once a month. If I'm sticking within my calorie range and getting my exercise, it doesn't really matter what the scale says because I know I'm doing everything I can to lose these last couple pounds. That's what I'm trying to tell myself at least.

Why did you buy a *set* of scales?

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #3  
change

Whoops! Ha! The only scales I have ever used are the "sets of scales" in chem lab. So, I am used to saying set of scales. I suppose I just wrote what I am used to. Too funny. Thanks for the words of wisdom.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'7

Hi Olivia!

Congrats on two years as a non-smoker! With that kind of willpower, you probably have a head start in losing weight :-)!

I'm wondering too about how often people weigh themselves. I'm new to a serious losing weight effort (July 1) and so far don't own a scale -- I don't want to get all obsessed with weighing myself every day, and want to focus more on healthy eating & exercising more.

So far I've weighed myself every two weeks, but as I begin to lose, it's harder and harder to wait! I think I'll buy a scale this week and weigh myself once a week.

Hope to see you around 3FC! Good luck!
Ladiibbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #5  
Future Wonder Woman

S/C/G: 248/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Hello Olivia, welcome! You've come to the right place for support and encouragement. Congrats on quitting smoking, I have never smoked but I saw my mother try to quit many times and it seems so hard to do. I know what you mean about getting into a serious relationship and getting comfortable...I did the same thing!

As far as weighing myself, I weigh myself once a week (I know you can't tell by my ticker, but I've been doing this since May...just had some stumbling here and there)...I find if I do it more than that, I get really anxious about the fluctuations. I weigh myself after I go to the bathroom in the morning with no clothes on...I can use all the help I can get!

Once again, welcome!
trooworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #6  
change

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, the comfy relationship is a blow. My husband has gained weight, too, but for some reason it is more acceptable to men, you know?

Follow up question--

Do you really see a difference in weight every week. Being that this is my first diet I have no idea what to expect as far as loss (it was even harder setting a goal). Ladiibug, I see you've lost ten pounds. Is that since July 1st?!?

I suppose what I am asking is this--should I shoot for a pound a week? Or two? Is two ponds a week even possible? Wow, since I have now realized I need to do a little research.

Thanks and good luck to all of you!