Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:34 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/199/160

Height: 5' 10 1/2"

Default Howdy from me!

I've been lurking here for a bit, always getting caught up in reading and never actually posting. It just hit me again a minute ago that I was doing it again. Doh! So...

Hi, everyone! I'm Diane, 38 (until next month), mom to 5 kids, and owner of one giant gut. I never had a weight problem -- was one of those "lucky" ones that everyone loves to hate because I could eat everything and not gain a pound, all muscle and no fat. Kiddo #5 was born in 2005 and a few pounds stuck around after that. Not much but enough to make me start to wonder when they'd be falling off like they always had before. Then I quit smoking in 2006. Holy instant enormo-butt, Batman! I gained something like 60-70 pounds very quickly after quitting smoking. Sheesh. That, coupled with the 10-15 leftover baby fat, and wowzers.

January of this year, a friend and I made a pact to lose a few gazillion fat blobs. She has kicked some major booty! I, on the other hand, not so much. A month or so ago, I joined WW, figuring the pure humiliation of paying to be told I'm a lardbutt would do the trick. So far, it's working pretty well. I'm now starting to do a combo of WW and FitDay so I can keep an eye on it from a couple of angles. I've also been running, er, walking on the treadmill for a while now pretty steady and am beginning to add in strength training on the BowFlex, as well as Pilates on alternating days.

Anyway, nice to meet you all! Now I need to find some sort of challenge to join -- very motivating, I'd think!

Diane
OH2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #2  
Discovering ME

Height: 5'10"

Hi Diane!

You are the exact height as me, AND about the exact WEIGHT as me, AND have the exact GOAL weight as me! We could challenege each other!!

I have smoked for a LONG LONG time, and I HAVE heard what they say that it will make people gain weight to quit... but when I TRY to quit, I usually lose my appetite. You would THINK that would be enough to give me some incentive to quit, but so far, haven't conquered it yet.

You are right across the "border" from me over here in Indiana....so I am saying Hello and happy getting in shape!

Barb
AriesBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:16 AM   #3  

Oh, wow! How cool to find a twin! Whatcha got in mind for a challenge? Whoever makes it to goal first gets to pelt the other with tofu and rice cakes?

I'm not sure which border you're talking about since I live in Oklahoma. LOL I've lived in Indiana and Illinois (among a million other places) before, though.

Now let's see if I got my sig ticker thingymabobber on here right...

*Edit to add: I see where you're getting the neighbor thing from now. My username, right? The OH2007 actually stands for "Operation Hardbody 2007" from the pact my aforementioned friend and I made in January. LOL

Last edited by OH2007; 07-11-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:05 AM   #4  
Discovering ME

Height: 5'10"

Yep you are correct! I thought for some reason the "OH" must have meant Ohio! But that's okay... nonetheless, we are STILL very close to the same height and weight AND the same goal weight, so some sort of challenge would be fun! I also started the thread "Tall Women" so you should read all the things those ladies had to say too! I think it was under "Introductions".
Personally I am just using the "mirror" method and NOT getting on a scale. I fit in (38 talls Levis) but am BUSTING out of them, so for NOW, it's just my goal to wear a 36 COMFORTABLY... I am not sure about womens jeans though, as I never wear them, I would guess it would be a 12/14?

Unlike you though, I have been at different levels of being overweight all of my life. I was a fat child, a REALLY fat teenager, then in my 20's stayed at around 190-200. In my 30's I went back and forth from sorta fat to really fat, and once I hit 40 it seems my whole outlook on life is different, and I have more inner strength.

I realized I am not getting any younger, and I REALLY want to ENJOY life with my spouse and kids more and not be stopped by my weight. I don't think the humiliation of paying to be told I am a lardbutt would work for me, but it did make me laugh thinking about it!

I would LOVE to have a Bow-Flex and have told myself that if I can really DO THIS (drop the weight) I will reward myself with some sort of maintenance machine like that. I am too cheap to buy it new though, so I'd have to find a deal on one somewhere.

I am looking forward to using the rowing machine at the "Y" I just joined, but am too intimidated to walk into the workout room yet, I am still in the "thinking about it" mode.

That's all for now!

Barb
AriesBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 05:38 AM   #5  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Diane, you are hilarious! I laughed through reading the bulk of your post!

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find some great friends here.

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #6  

Hi, Kara!

Barb, I hear ya on the anti-scale thing. My "goal" of 160 is just a general idea. I might end up being happy at 175 or I might decide that 150 would feel more healthy. It's all to be decided upon once I figure out how much of what is coming off of where and just how Arnold Schwarzenegger I end up being. (Am I the only one who bulks up quickly and easily enough while strength training to scare small children and most men?) 160 is a nice, middle-of-the-road number by which to gauge my progress in the meantime.

I LOVE our BowFlex! We got it for a couple hundred bucks from an older fella who had, by the looks of it, never used it. It was in perfect condition! Until our stupid cats decided to use the seat and back rest as a scratching post. (Did you know that there actually is more than one way to skin a cat? )

Off to read the freakishly tall chick thread now....
Old 07-11-2007, 02:36 PM   #7  
300+ Chick

Hi Diane..Welcome! Way to go on your 15 Lbs loss so far!! You are doing wonderful..Keep it going! Congratulations of quitting smoking too!!
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote