Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 04-07-2007, 03:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/175/130

Height: 5'5"

Default Im Scared

Hello. My name is Marie and Im 23. I also just found that I have very high cholesterol. Also my triglycerides arent doing that well either. Both are extremely high, and whats worse is that my family has a history of Diabetes. Im also overweight. Im 5'5" and weigh 175. Im shocked and overwhelmed. I dont know what to do, Im going to college and its so hard to have to watch what your eating and fit in some excersize along with studying and working. I need some help or some advice because im scared that if I keep going down this path of putting anything in my mouth I may end up very sick. I havent the slightest clue of what to do next I just feel like crying. Whats the next step?What do I do?
Deidrastarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:21 PM   #2  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Hi Marie:

Nice to meet you. My name is Liz. I'm in the same boat as you honey. I have high blood pressure in my family, diabetes, heart disease and obesity. All of that is genetic. But I have AMAZINGLY encouraging news for you. You can beat it. I did and I still am. Getting your blood work done and knowing what your risk factors are is a great start. There are a number of dietary and lifestyle changes that you can do to bring these number down. And they are not that hard to grasp.

Instead of me eating up your thread with paragraph after paragraph, if you would like to know more, why don't you PM me. I also have a number of other ways to reach me listed below. Honey I've been there and I conquered it and so can you! Fear not. The best is yet to come.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 03:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 196/159.6/150

Height: 5'7.5"

I know what you mean. I'm in college too and between classes, homework, studying and work it's very hard to find the energy to work out. But I realized something-- I can come home exhausted from 3 classes and work and flop down on the couch or computer, or I can come home exhausted, go to the gym, and then flop down! Working out is a pain but it's something we have to do. And as for eating right, it actually becomes easier when you can just pack a healthy lunch in advance and then not have to worry about it. Good luck!
maegdaeien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:19 PM   #4  
Ready for a better life!

Hi Marie!
You've come to the right place. I also have developed hi blood pressure and high 'bad' cholesterol and started dieting to avoid having to take cholesterol prescription medicine. I've been coming here five weeks and am doing well with the support and advice of the great people here.
I know you're overwhelmed. It can be scary to start to try to change your life. Two pieces of advice. First, set yourself a mini-goal. I use ten pounds as a mini-goal. If I thought everyday that I need to lose 75 pounds (and I do), I'd lose my mind But I know I can do ten pounds--I just did. So I can now start on my next ten pounds. Second, take healthy snacks with you to help you through the day. Munch a snack as you're walking to your next class. I carry string cheese, a small bag of baby carrots, and a half cup of seedless grapes in a baggie. These are things I can snack on easily no matter what I'm doing. Eating a snack every 2-3 hours keeps your metabolism up and keeps the hunger at bay.
Come here often Marie for support and hugs! We want you to succeed!
LookingForHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 06:27 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 158/155/120

Hello girl,

I am overweight, but my cholesterol level is very low and healthy. I never eat meat or fish, and try to limit dairy to a minimun. Cholesterol is only found in animal products, so you might want to try to cut down on them. It would surely help to lower your cholesterol level and make you feel fitter.
jacky is offline   Reply With Quote