Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 03-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #1  
Paula

S/C/G: 170/170/140

Height: 5' 7"

Default Newbie!

I just found this website in a health article in NEWSWEEK, I didn't really know the internet had weight support groups. I am excited and in dire need of support. I am only 18 and have been selfconcious of my weight since eighth grade. I always thought of my self as the bigger girl in my classes although I really wasn't over weight at all. I have a bad self image of myself. I've never had trouble with weight in my abdomen, but i have big thighs and a huge butt. I've tried numerous things to lose weight such as South Beach diet. I lost 15 pounds in a month for my Senior Prom but than seemed to gain it right back afterwards. Last summer i went to the gym everyday and my thighs just got bigger. I know its pronbably muscle mass that i gained but its shocking to go from a size eight to a size twelve over one summer!! I started college this fall at a weight of 150 and seven months later I am now 170 pounds. This is the largest my stomach has ever been and its tiring to try to suck it in 24/7. I consider myself an emotional eater. When I get depressed about a guy or missing home I turn to food to give me comfort. I have always told myself for the past year or so, OK I'm going to really start a diet and excercise to lose my thunder thighs but i never seem to get anywhere. It is difficult to try to lose weight at college when eating with others who aren't trying to lose weight. My roomate and I eat together everday and a lot of the times she wants to go get mexican food or cook pasta or order wings and pizza but all I can think is man I don't want all those calories. I have gotten back to my passion of swimming atleast three times a week for forty five minutes. I try to get my roomate to go running at night with me and she says yes but than gets to lazy and we never end up going! I hope I can receive some encouragement and support on this site. I have reached rock bottom. I need to control my emotional overeating before I gain anymore weight!!
Curlie girl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #2  

Smile Hi there!

I'm a young adult at college too, and am not terribly overwieght, but am looking to loose a few pounds I just wanted to let you know that youre not the only one - I'm new too and am also an emotional eater
Let me know if youve found anything helpful on this site yet!
-rad
radcliff86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:13 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Swimming is GREAT exercise! Keep it up!

You did not put the weight on overnight, and it will not come off overnight. BUT, even if the scale moves slowly, you are making yourself healthier and more energetic with each healthy choice you make.

I have utilized a couple of strategies to control my emotional eating...first, I have alternative activities. If I'm having a rough day and feel the desire to eat something comforting, I pull out an alternate...a bubble bath, going to the book store and indulging in a new paperback, or cooking something healthy but luscious-tasting that fits in my day. All of these let me comfort myself without eating out-of-control.

It is really hard to lose weight in a college/dorm situation, but you have some advantages too. Are you eating in a dining commons/cafeteria situation? If so, work that salad bar, and other healthful veggie options...hard to get bored when someone else is doing the cooking! If not, take this opportunity in your life to learn how to COOK for yourself - its a life skill that will do so much for you in the future. Also, lots of colleges have gyms for their students, and these are often free - a huge cost savings compared to non-student gyms. Often student health centers have nutritionists that you can see for a minimal fee. Work those advantages, and try to minimize the disadvantages that come with college, like excess alcohol and junk food.

Best of luck to you! Hope to hear more from you soon!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:47 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi PAULA . . .

You have definitely come to the right place for support during your trip down the long bumpy road to better health and fitness.

If you are interested in the Volumetrics plan, after reading the Newsweek article, you'll be pleased to know that here at 3FC we have a listing of the nutritional info on over 7000 foods and the Volumentrics ED (Energy Density) is listed for all of them. Here is a link . . . http://www.3fatchicks.com/food-calorie-counts/ . . .

Anyway, chickie . . .glad you found us. Have a good look around and feel free to jump in anywhere that something catches your eye. I know you will be welcomed with open arms wherevery you may wander on the site. Hope you have a great moving and shaking kind of day . . .
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote