Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 196/196/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Over-40, Over-Weight and Over-Whelmed

Hello Girls,

I'm brand new here just registered but not sure where I'm headed yet so maybe someone can give me some direction...

I've hit a new high on the scale for a month now, 196, I thought maybe it was water weight but it 'aint goin anywhere and before I climb into 200s or worse I start to have medical problems, I have to get a grip on my weight and get back into shape.

About me: I'm only 5' 3" and in a size 16.

I want to get back down to 130lbs - any lower is unrealistic for my body makeup, I get muscular when I work out. I have used the Body For Life program to get into shape a few years back but a few injuries got me out of the workouts and s-l-o-w-l-y the weight came back and then some. I have tried BFL again and I just can't seem to get the same intensity out of my workouts so it just doesn't seem to be the right thing for me right now.

I'm 46 years old, mother of a 10 and 14 year old, and perimenopausal so my hormones and metabolism are going wacky. I work at home so my hours are flexable for workouts for workouts and I have a treadmill and leveage system gym in my den.

For the past 5 years I have tried every diet that has come down the pike combined with working out and have either lost just a couple of pounds or gained weight after a month of disapline and I gave up.

Since I haven't been able to find anything that worked for me, I have no idea what eating program to choose and I know I have to choose a system of some sort, it's easier for me to have set rules for myself.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, I thought maybe someone might have a "sounds like me and this worked for me" solution. Someone....anyone?

Alex
jurneebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:58 PM   #2  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi Alex!!! Welcome to 3fc. I'm 43 and the mother of 3 teenagers, I work from my home as well. I ballooned up to 287 lbs and finally got disgusted enough to change my life.

You asked what has worked. There's only one thing that really and truly works. That's eating right and getting active. Two things which I definitely was NOT doing prior to my new lifestyle. Diets don't work for most people because there is a beginning and an end. Eating right is something that can never end. Eating right and being active is something one has to do for the rest of their lives. So once I got that going through my brain the rest was relatively easy. Determination has been the key for me. I am determined to be fit and trim and healthy. I am determined to use food only for nutritional value and energy. Not as something to entertain me when I'm bored, or console me when I'm sad or lonely or angry.I no longer use food in a celebratory manner either. I had to put food in its proper place in my life. It is no longer front and center. My well being is.

I think the best thing that you can do is find a plan that you can live with forever and ever. For me it's counting calories, eating mostly veggies and low fat proteins. I allow myself the occasional treat in small portions. I eat every 2 - 3 hours, so that I am never hungry.

You can absolutely do this, it is a very do-able thing. SO many people here at 3fc have done it and are in the middle of doing it. There's absolutely no reason in the world why you can't either. Good luck to you.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #3  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

Thumbs up

Hi Jurneeback (cute name.) I'm with you, what up with these wacko hormones. At least I hope I can blame it on hormones, my period is still normal....ah, maybe it's just life in general, stress, etc.

I've done WeightWatchers successfully in the past and it's a good plan (lifetime member,) no doubt, but I just don't have the motivation to do that again, and I don't want to spend the money. I need to eat healthy REAL food, so that's my plan this time around. I'm going to count the good ol' calories, and make sure I get enough healthy foods in my diet.

Perhaps that's where you can start. At least just start tracking, writing stuff down, and seeing where you might want to go.

Good luck.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 196/196/130

Height: 5'3"

Thanks Alright and RockinRobin I appreciate the comments.

I've decided that at my age "real foods" would be the most beneficial to me. So I went and did some grocery shopping for some good stuff like fresh fruits and veggies rather than canned or frozen and a fresh turkey breast to roast.

One of the things that worked so well for me on Body For Life was to have my meals all pre-packaged and ready to eat in the 'fridge or freezer. So I think I'll do that at least with my proteins. And a planned menu was a must so I think I'll go back to that too.

Doing a workout every day is my normal routine so I guess I'll just have to step things up and change my routine around to jump start my metabolism.

Whew, I have lots to do but just have to remember that I lots to look forward to when I get my shape back.

Here's to our success ladies - all of us and thanks again.

Alex
jurneebac is offline   Reply With Quote