Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 01-02-2007, 12:20 AM   #1  

Default Back again, ready to really work.

Hi

I'm really ready to work on losing weight. I have impending diabetes looming over my head. I had gestational diabetes. Having that increases my risk of developing type two diabetes by 50%.

I want to be healthy. I want to live a long life.

I just took a nutrition class in College. I have the basics to start eating healthy, now all I need is the will power.

I know that there will be days that I want to give up. There are going to be days that I do give up. But as long as I don't give up for good I'll be ok. Everyone has setbacks. It's when setbacks become permanent that they become failures (the acts not the people.)

Hold me accountable. I CAN do this. I CAN do this.

My goal is to lose 100 pounds. I know I need to make realistic goals. I don't plan on losing the weight overnight. I know that it is going to take some time and lots of work but if I stick to it I can do it.

Last edited by flutterbygrace; 05-30-2009 at 11:39 AM.
flutterbygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #2  

Location: In the great state of Iowa long the Mississippi River

S/C/G: 285.0/285/180.0

Height: 5'10

Jennifer,
You can do this!!!!! I am looking at losing about 98lbs ( You responded to me post.. I am hello from Iowa) so I know this will be hard. If you want a buddy you have got one.... There will be hard days but if you think of everything you have accomplished in your life so far and your daughter it will help keep you going.....Send me a private message of you want to be buddies....

God Bless,
Lori
mommapossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:05 AM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Red face Welcome!!

Jennifer & Lori!!

You've both come to a great place for advice, support & encouragement!!

You CAN do this!!!

If you'd like a buddy...please feel free to send me a PM

All the best to you!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:36 AM   #4  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

If you haven't found anywhere you like yet, we have a group called "1 lb down and plenty more to go"

New members always welcome

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100896
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:10 PM   #5  

Jennifer,

I too have a 3 year old...one of the reasons I started my own 'lifestyle change' so that I could spend more time and better time with him....

This past February I weighed 525 pounds. Today I weigh about 395...130 pounds down. Most of that was simply reducing calories to 2000 per day.
Now I am adding exercise and hope to drop another 100 this year.

A trick the wife and I used (she has lost 70 pounds in the same period) was to take every pound we lost and add it to a 'burden' bag (using barbell weights and such). We used a heavy duty backpack. When she lost her first 7 pounds and felt what it was like in her burden bag, it was that much more imppressive. 7 pounds is a LOT of weight. Imagine how it was when that number increased...to 15 pounds...then 25 pounds. At the 100 pound mark I tried to cary it on my back to work...was nearly impossible. Couldn't even get it on my back by myself...and couldnt wear it for more than a few minutes. I ended up breaking a strap.

Try it yourself...remember that a galon of milk weighs between 7 and 8 pounds. Imagine carrying that around all day....then two or three of them. EVERY pound off is impressive!

Good luck!!

Jeff
FatBaldJeff.blogspot.com - 100 pounds, 100 days
casperjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Jennifer -- Another forum you might want to check out is the 300+ group -- a group of (mostly) women who understand the unique challenges of weighing over 300 pounds and trying to lose that much weight!

You can find us under support groups here:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124

We have ongoing "chat" threads where we support each other through everything, as well as exercise threads, weigh-ins, etc. It might be a good place for you!

And, you could stop by the 100-pound group too (people who have over 100 pounds to lose).
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=55

I have found both groups to be excellent for inspiration, support, ideas...

WELCOME!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:42 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Jeff -- Welcome to you too! Great idea and great post!! Feel free to join those forums too!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 03:16 PM   #8  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hi JENNIFER . . . Just want to add my also.

I've been Type II diabetic for over 15 years and it is definitely not a fun disease. I really wish you the very best in beating off that weight before the fact, because it gets harder once you have to start on diabetes meds (especially insulin).

There is a special Dieting with Diabetes forum within a larger forum called Dieting with Obstacles. You might want to take a look at either or both. It can really help to talk to some people who are going through the same kind of stuff as you are. Here is a link to Dieting with Obstacles . . . CLICK HERE . You can move into the Diabetes Sub-forum from there for a look-see as well.

Hi JEFF . . . to you, also.

Wow, I love that "burden-bag" idea. What a great visual aid. It's great that you and your wife are in this together. Hope we'll be seeing less of you both, more often at 3FC.

All newcomers can be assured of rousing good welcomes and much support wherever they end up on these boards . . . I hope you will all love it here as much as I do.

Have a great moving and shaking kind of day, gang.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:45 PM   #9  

Thanks everybody.
flutterbygrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #10  

Good luck. I admire anyone persuing a goal, and anyone raising a child. Good for you! I wish you all the support and love I can muster for you.
JaneLane is offline   Reply With Quote