Old 07-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #1  

Default Turning into a hermit to resist temptation

Anyone else becoming a hermit on IP? I am only 2 weeks in, and definitely attribute a lot of weight gain to social drinking and eating. I'm hoping that at some point soon I'll be able to participate in happy hours and other events and be ok with a sparkling water and some veggies - but I'm definitely not there yet. Today there was pizza in my office, then buckets of popcorn for a movie event, then a cookie cake that was shoved in my face. I resisted all - but then feigned a headache to get out of a happy hour that I wanted to go to, but knew I couldn't handle (a martini would have been amazing after this long week!). Anyway, anyone else finding that they're having to retreat from the world in the beginning? And did you find a way to evolve out of it and still stay on plan?
AustinTXGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #2  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

I think we all go through some form of this. Family members always want to eat out where I prefer to stay home so as to control my dinner. But, I also want to stay home because I plan my dinners in advance and don't want to waste them by going out and having them spoil. I have the family trained now and so they are helpful and accommodate my diet needs either by having more family parties at home or scoping things out ahead of time that I can have if we go out.

I don't drink so I don't have that issue to deal with.

Plus, I tend to be a bit of a loner anyways so I guess you could say I'm already inclined to hermit-like behavior
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 10:37 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186.5/149/135

Height: 5.5

Once you get into the habit of IP, it will become easier. You will see results and not worry about being a hermit girl. I love that I see changes and I do go out to eat but ask for certain things and most restaurants accommodate. Hang in there... read the post about recipes and such, you will get into a habit instead of a hermit. hugs and hang in there!
Skinnyjeangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:03 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Yes, for sure. In general, I prefer to eat at home and we usually only eat out once a week. I have been at this game long enough that any "work food" doesn't tempt or bother me. But, you are not alone in these feelings. The very first time I did IP, I don't think I saw any friends for the first 6 weeks. Just stayed home and never ate out once.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 187/182/130

Height: 5'4''

I have to say that sometime I will pretend to be sick to avoid being around people...especially those that will critic the fact that I don't drink...I have been told by a colleague once that I made him feel bad because I was not drinking at a gathering...CAN YOU BELIEVE that? I was stunned...now ladies...I don't drink...not because I am doing IP...I just don't drink...probably did too much in my younger years...lol

I love to eat at home where I have complete control...but I need to keep busy or I can get into trouble!
Loser13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:47 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

I would be very wary of someone who acted critical of your choice not to drink alcohol. People need to be more accepting of each other.
Wannabehealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:37 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 285/274/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinTXGirl View Post
Anyone else becoming a hermit on IP? I am only 2 weeks in, and definitely attribute a lot of weight gain to social drinking and eating. I'm hoping that at some point soon I'll be able to participate in happy hours and other events and be ok with a sparkling water and some veggies - but I'm definitely not there yet. Today there was pizza in my office, then buckets of popcorn for a movie event, then a cookie cake that was shoved in my face. I resisted all - but then feigned a headache to get out of a happy hour that I wanted to go to, but knew I couldn't handle (a martini would have been amazing after this long week!). Anyway, anyone else finding that they're having to retreat from the world in the beginning? And did you find a way to evolve out of it and still stay on plan?
I'm just starting week three and I'm having some of the same issues, so don't despair! I also live in Austin (hi, neighbor!), and with the way this city is, it's sorta hard to find places that actually serve something that you can turn into an Ideal Protein compliant meal. I'll tell you what I've done, which is convince my friends to go to places like Fresa's, where you can get a bowl of greens and cauliflower with shrimp or chicken, and still feel like you're a part of the action. El Alma south of downtown also has a good salad with lettuce, jicama, tomatoes, etc. that is great and P1 compliant.

Happy hours don't bother me quite as much because I don't feel so bad saying "no" to a bev (although, I WISH I could have one...), and I have some sparkling water. Even though some people say it's not great, my coach told me that in moderation, it's ok.

I feel like once you discover things that you can turn into a IP compliant meal or happy hour and with some practice, it'll get more comfortable. However, after a day like you just described, I can totally understand why you'd want to go home to resist temptation. I think (hope) it gets a little easier as it goes.

Good luck!
leslied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:10 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5'8" 173 cm 57 yrs old

For those 'happy hours' with friends/coworkers keep a couple different flavours of Mio in your purse and just have the bartender add a lime wheel on your glass of soda water, or have them muddle mint in with seltzer and add a celery stalk or a cucumber wheel on the edge of your class (built in snack with your drink, lol). Nesfrutta makes a pineapple coconut no-carb water enhancer if you feel like a pina colada flavoured soda. You can also have them add lime juice (NOT 'bar lime' which is equal parts sugar, water, lime juice, and lemon juice) to soda water and add a berry mio for a very refreshing and pretty drink that's OP. It also helps to sneak in a packet of IP crisps/chips as your salty snack for the evening.

Liana
canadjineh is offline   Reply With Quote