Old 04-14-2017, 06:20 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/ 165 / 130

Height: 5'3

Default New here and have some questions!

Hello everyone. I did read the sticky that directs me to ask my questions after doing a search first. I have done a bit of that and still have some pretty basic questions. Hope it's okay to ask a few at once.

I am interested in doing Ideal Protein as it worked for both of my parents. I am scared. I am scared I will fail. I am scared it will cause a health issue (have health anxiety). I am scared I will have to give up my coffee creamer!

1- Can you do the diet but refuse to give up 1 thing like coffee creamer? Would you still go into ketosis? I guess it would be considered cheating.

2- Are there any ill affects to overall health?

3- Can you eat a IP chocolate bar every single day?

Thank you everyone
MountainVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #2  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainVA View Post
Hello everyone. I did read the sticky that directs me to ask my questions after doing a search first. I have done a bit of that and still have some pretty basic questions. Hope it's okay to ask a few at once.

I am interested in doing Ideal Protein as it worked for both of my parents. I am scared. I am scared I will fail. I am scared it will cause a health issue (have health anxiety). I am scared I will have to give up my coffee creamer!

1- Can you do the diet but refuse to give up 1 thing like coffee creamer? Would you still go into ketosis? I guess it would be considered cheating.

Thank you everyone
Hi!

I have to admit at my first appointment I became hesitant too when I realized it was "packaged food" as I have always been anti-processed food when making healthy food choices. But, after I read more about it, I became much more comfortable by reading about the purpose for it and the effects it has on the body. So, I quickly came to understand to put this in a whole different category than the processed foods that I was associating it with.

Now, having said that, on to your questions:
1 - You can have skim milk in the morning which you can use for your coffee. And/or, you can use Walden Farms cream. You could even do a flavored sugar free one from Torani if you'd like. None of this is considered cheating but you would have to adapt to this vs using your traditional creamer. Full disclosure - I don't drink coffee so my comments are strictly based upon protocol.

2 - Some people report hair loss and hormonal things like that. I have never experienced any of that so it is individualistic. I suggest having your own monitoring done (do not rely on a coach or the fact this is supposed to be "medically supervised" - that "supervision" is a joke as most of us know more than the coaches). As such, I suggest getting a set of blood work done beforehand and have periodic appointments. I don't know if you have any underlying health issues as you didn't mention any but if so, I think that makes doing this that much more important. I wish I had done that at the start. I would include a full thyroid panel as well as Vitamin D test which are often overlooked tests (full thyroid panel is a special test not just the standard).

3 - Yes, you can have a restricted bar every single day

Regarding health anxiety, my strong suggestion is you will be healthier for doing this so any anxiety should be directed more towards excess weight, sugars, etc which this will address.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 08:46 PM   #3  
oneuh2

S/C/G: reboot 1/10/2023 238/175/160

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainVA View Post

Thank you everyone
1. I love having cream in my coffee, too. but you need to do something different instead of trying to hold onto your creamer. I find that the cappuccino drink can be and excellent way to lighten your coffee and it tastes terrific. My favorite is to get 2 shots of espresso over ice in a Venti cup at Starbucks, and then to add the cappuccino drink to it. Or, have an extra cup on hand and then get a grande Pike Place coffee and divide it into 2 cups, using the cappuccino drink as the creamer (half for each half of the grande Pike Place). I think you will find these solutions work well and you won't miss your creamer so much.

The health concerns really have little basis -- as you get off sugar and get off carb overload in general, you are going to feel so much better, and if you get blood work done, you will find that your numbers improve. Carrying extra weight around means having a lot of risks with regard to your health. IP puts you on a path that can lead to better health -- most folks on meds for Type 2 Diabetes get good reactions from their docs and find that their medication programs are reduced by their doctors. IP will take off the excess weight and help your blood test results improve - then you have to take action to implement good habits to keep things healthy.

You can eat a chocolate brownie or one of several chocolate bars everyday. Also chocolate pudding, shakes and other chocolate items. It is not Belgian high end, but it does speak to the chocolate need.

Have faith and JUST DO IT!! You can succeed!
oneuh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:26 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/ 165 / 130

Height: 5'3

Thank you so much for all the responses. I actually got a full blood work with a thyroid panel last week for another issue (fatigue) so I have a baseline. Everything was normal.
Your responses make sense and are encouraging. I really truly appreciate you all taking the time to respond to me.
I meet for my first consultation this Friday!! Nervous but READY!!
MountainVA is offline   Reply With Quote