Old 12-14-2016, 12:03 PM   #16  
banned

Yeah its pretty quiet here. I check on it daily as I'm still fairly new to the protocol (in week 6) and love all the info and tips from years of added experience. I do wish it was more active as I'd love to talk to more people about it instead of bothering those in my personal life who don't get it
3FCer392743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:02 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 218.7/212.6/165

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlrd View Post
Yeah its pretty quiet here. I check on it daily as I'm still fairly new to the protocol (in week 6) and love all the info and tips from years of added experience. I do wish it was more active as I'd love to talk to more people about it instead of bothering those in my personal life who don't get it
TOTALLY understand you about bothering others!
LOSINGFORGOOD2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 09:48 PM   #18  

Hello everyone! I read your posts, and I would like to know more about what foods containing fat we can have during these holidays that won't kick us out of ketosis? Someone mentioned cheese, is that any type of cheese? How about cold meats?
Also the drinking! I would like to at least have a couple of drinks, but I don't know if those will also kick me out of ketosis, I know that vodka with soda doesn't have carbs, so those are ok to have, but I didn't know rum was safe as well.
Thank you in advance!
Lenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:11 AM   #19  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenna View Post
Hello everyone! I read your posts, and I would like to know more about what foods containing fat we can have during these holidays that won't kick us out of ketosis? Someone mentioned cheese, is that any type of cheese? How about cold meats?
Also the drinking! I would like to at least have a couple of drinks, but I don't know if those will also kick me out of ketosis, I know that vodka with soda doesn't have carbs, so those are ok to have, but I didn't know rum was safe as well.
Thank you in advance!
Hi Lenna,

The best advice I can offer you as I don't know what types of food you like is to just do a Google search for carb counts in foods. Try to stay under 30-40 net carbs on average to stay in ketosis (although some are more sensitive than others and have to be under 20 but let's assume you are average).
You can find carb counts for alcohol this way too.
I think the key to the holidays is to just plan for what you are doing and make amends afterwards :-)
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 11:24 AM   #20  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Well, then let's keep the boards active by checking and posting as frequently as possible!!!

Update on me...I want to lose 20 pounds to get back to where I was 2 years ago on IP. I transitioned off P1 the 2nd week of November as I was starting to have dizzy spells after about 5 months on P1. I transitioned with a LCHF (keto) and was maintaining that way. I planned a ketogenic meal plan for Thanksgiving (I tracked calories but I didn't restrict them and had a LCHF menu plan that worked really well. That turned out to last 5 days. I then got back on P1 to take off what I gained from the 5 days. I got back to my weight when I transitioned. Then, I had our annual family baking event this past weekend and I went out for pizza with my brother where I had the toppings only, no crust. I got back on P1 on Monday. I am happy to report that as of this morning, I have a net loss of 1.3 pounds!!!!!
This means that I lost more in the 3 days to have this net, and it also means that I am down into the next decade!!!!

My brother has been telling me for years to do this which is take one day on the weekend and enjoy your favorite foods, and he said by Wednesday, any weight increase will be gone and by Monday the following week, you will be down a few pounds. So, my first week doing this appears to be a success! I just find it amazing to be losing weight during the holiday season without feeling left out!!! Awesome feeling - I wish I could bottle it and give it out as Christmas presents!!!!!!

One other thing to share - I was out Christmas shopping yesterday so didn't get my snack and wasn't feeling great as a result. I was at Sam's Club and found a new protein drink that I like. I had it and it wasn't even cold so I am thinking it will be even better when cold.
The macros are:
Calories = 140
Protein = 20 g
Fat = 2 g
Carb = 10 g
Sugars = 4 g
Dietary Fiber = 3 g

It is Creamy Chocolate Fudge and they had a Vanilla one too.
What attracted me to it was that it is Grass Fed Protein.

Lastly, I decided that I am going to go to IP clinic and pick up some IP foods. I have been using alternatives but I am missing my chicken soup, which has always been a staple of my IP diet. With the cold weather I am missing this - I have never found a decent alternative for this. I am also going to get the chocolate drink mix because I love the chocolate cakes it makes - Quest Chocolate Milkshake powder falls short on this.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:47 PM   #21  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro22 View Post
Hi Lenna,

The best advice I can offer you as I don't know what types of food you like is to just do a Google search for carb counts in foods. Try to stay under 30-40 net carbs on average to stay in ketosis (although some are more sensitive than others and have to be under 20 but let's assume you are average).
You can find carb counts for alcohol this way too.
I think the key to the holidays is to just plan for what you are doing and make amends afterwards :-)
Thanks for replying to my question Ro22 �� I guess then, if I eat something that's not OP won't hurt only IF I keep my net carbs lower than 30 per day! I miss sugar, breads but not as much as wine ���� I guess I'll be switching the wine and champagne with some Lacroix. About what you mentioned that you're doing, I think I've read about it, isn't it called carb cycling? I didn't really understand how to do it, it sounded like a great way of losing fat and still be able to have some cheat days, and it incorporates work outs in those days that carbs are allowed. That's seems like a good maintnece plan, but I didn't really get when to add the carbs if I was working out 3 to 4 days per week.
What is the name of the protein shake? I have purchased the chocolate muscle milk at Costco and I like how it tastes, and I like the price even more! ��
Old 12-15-2016, 11:11 PM   #22  

You don't really have much to lose, I haven't started the second round of IP just yet, I'm starting this Saturday, I will buy my protein and veggies tomorrow and plan my meals for the week. I'm a bit crazy to start right before the holidays and miss all the food and drinks, but I want to start losing weight already and not gain it during the holidays! I would ALWAYS tell myself "Skinny tastes better" and it does! I've been on IP diet during the holidays before, 100% OP, I'm not going to sweat it or think about the foods I'm missing, I'll just imagine that I'll be closer to fit back into my smaller clothes!
Did you get WI when you went to buy your IP food Ro22? when did you start IP diet again? Losing weight with this diet is easy and fast, if followed it correctly, but I had some trouble with maintance, I felt like a lost puppy,trying different "life style diets" and I just couldn't commit to one, I have to look and start planning HOW and WHAT I'll be eating once i reach my goal. Before my coach would just tell me to focus on whichever phase i was, and not worry about maintence yet, but this time, I have to have a plan because I don't want to be gaining weight and going back to lose weight again, and make it a cycle.
I think I want to lose 40lbs or 50lb..I don't know, I just want to fit in my clothes and my last year winter jacket! That's what made me go back to IP, I put it on because it started getting cold, and it didn't zipper me up, last time I wore it was in early May, so I went to get me another winter jacket, I had to buy a large size, I told myself I was t going to be a large anything anymore, so I'll be happy and reach my goal when my medium size winter jacket fits me, and all my other clothes! I've learned to not focus so much in the scales number, but on the inches lost. Can't wait to go next Friday for my measurement!
Old 12-15-2016, 11:17 PM   #23  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenna View Post
Thanks for replying to my question Ro22 �� I guess then, if I eat something that's not OP won't hurt only IF I keep my net carbs lower than 30 per day! I miss sugar, breads but not as much as wine ���� I guess I'll be switching the wine and champagne with some Lacroix. About what you mentioned that you're doing, I think I've read about it, isn't it called carb cycling? I didn't really understand how to do it, it sounded like a great way of losing fat and still be able to have some cheat days, and it incorporates work outs in those days that carbs are allowed. That's seems like a good maintnece plan, but I didn't really get when to add the carbs if I was working out 3 to 4 days per week.
What is the name of the protein shake? I have purchased the chocolate muscle milk at Costco and I like how it tastes, and I like the price even more! ��
I thought I included the brand only to find out I didn't...whoops - it is Orgain. My sister likes the one you mention but I wasn't a fan. I liked the EAS Advantage but it seems my Sam's stopped carrying it.

There will be a little damage going off protocol but it will be far less if you stay low carb. I didn't intend on carb cycling as I did High Fat Low Carb so I really just went from low fat to high fat for a day. And, yes I did consume more carbs than my norm but it isn't to the level that is mentioned in carb cycling. I think it is more just to let my body know I am not starving it so go ahead and release what it is holding onto so I guess I view it more as calorie cycling :-)
For serious weight loss, I will always turn to IP as I find it predictable. As such, when January rolls around I will do P1 continuously for 4-6 weeks to get the last pounds off to get to goal.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #24  

Yes, I agree too, posting on the forum using iPhone is kinda annoying! But I really liked this forum, had very knowledgeable and supportive peeps!
Hopefully more people come to post once new year begins, that's usually the time when people begin their diets, I wanted to get a couple of weeks ahead of many, maybe more than that, considering that I won't wain weight with all the holidays' dishes and drinks!
Old 12-16-2016, 05:26 AM   #25  
Started IP 1/29/2013

S/C/G: 194/130/145

Height: 5'2

Quote:
I thought I included the brand only to find out I didn't...whoops - it is Orgain. My sister likes the one you mention but I wasn't a fan. I liked the EAS Advantage but it seems my Sam's stopped carrying it.

There will be a little damage going off protocol but it will be far less if you stay low carb. I didn't intend on carb cycling as I did High Fat Low Carb so I really just went from low fat to high fat for a day. And, yes I did consume more carbs than my norm but it isn't to the level that is mentioned in carb cycling. I think it is more just to let my body know I am not starving it so go ahead and release what it is holding onto so I guess I view it more as calorie cycling :-)
For serious weight loss, I will always turn to IP as I find it predictable. As such, when January rolls around I will do P1 continuously for 4-6 weeks to get the last pounds off to get to goal.
Hi Ro! Did you happen to try freezing the Orgain chocolate drink? I freeze the Chocolate Proti-Thin Anytime Drink and it is super delicious but SO expensive. I tried the EAS advantage milk chocolate and didn't care for it, frozen anyway. I have the EAS advantage dark chocolate so I'm hoping that will be okay once I try it. Thanks
jelliehel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 06:30 AM   #26  

good morning all! Was off work yesterday, so just popping on quickly now. So yesterday WOW, down to 187.3, headed to my dr apt for noon, and he was 1.5 hours BEHIND. I had a good breakfast before heading out just in case this would happen, but by the time I got home near 2 I was SO HUNGRY I had a Quest bar that was 23 in carbs, and 14 in fiber, 1 in alcohol sugars. So I thought perfect! I am all good as my carb count was so low at that point of the day. Well this morning, I am up to 189.4, how upsetting. Wondering if just that bar had that effect?
Old 12-16-2016, 07:10 AM   #27  

Quote:
Well, then let's keep the boards active by checking and posting as frequently as possible!!!

Update on me...I want to lose 20 pounds to get back to where I was 2 years ago on IP. I transitioned off P1 the 2nd week of November as I was starting to have dizzy spells after about 5 months on P1. I transitioned with a LCHF (keto) and was maintaining that way. I planned a ketogenic meal plan for Thanksgiving (I tracked calories but I didn't restrict them and had a LCHF menu plan that worked really well. That turned out to last 5 days. I then got back on P1 to take off what I gained from the 5 days. I got back to my weight when I transitioned. Then, I had our annual family baking event this past weekend and I went out for pizza with my brother where I had the toppings only, no crust. I got back on P1 on Monday. I am happy to report that as of this morning, I have a net loss of 1.3 pounds!!!!!
This means that I lost more in the 3 days to have this net, and it also means that I am down into the next decade!!!!

My brother has been telling me for years to do this which is take one day on the weekend and enjoy your favorite foods, and he said by Wednesday, any weight increase will be gone and by Monday the following week, you will be down a few pounds. So, my first week doing this appears to be a success! I just find it amazing to be losing weight during the holiday season without feeling left out!!! Awesome feeling - I wish I could bottle it and give it out as Christmas presents!!!!!!

One other thing to share - I was out Christmas shopping yesterday so didn't get my snack and wasn't feeling great as a result. I was at Sam's Club and found a new protein drink that I like. I had it and it wasn't even cold so I am thinking it will be even better when cold.
The macros are:
Calories = 140
Protein = 20 g
Fat = 2 g
Carb = 10 g
Sugars = 4 g
Dietary Fiber = 3 g

It is Creamy Chocolate Fudge and they had a Vanilla one too.
What attracted me to it was that it is Grass Fed Protein.

Lastly, I decided that I am going to go to IP clinic and pick up some IP foods. I have been using alternatives but I am missing my chicken soup, which has always been a staple of my IP diet. With the cold weather I am missing this - I have never found a decent alternative for this. I am also going to get the chocolate drink mix because I love the chocolate cakes it makes - Quest Chocolate Milkshake powder falls short on this.
wow this is amazing! it is crazy how we continually are learning about our bodies and what makes them react. I am loving the idea of eating pizza toppings but not the bottom. I didn't EVEN think of that!
Old 12-16-2016, 08:01 AM   #28  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliehel View Post
Hi Ro! Did you happen to try freezing the Orgain chocolate drink? I freeze the Chocolate Proti-Thin Anytime Drink and it is super delicious but SO expensive. I tried the EAS advantage milk chocolate and didn't care for it, frozen anyway. I have the EAS advantage dark chocolate so I'm hoping that will be okay once I try it. Thanks
Hello Jelliehel! I didn't. Dumb question - do you freeze the box or do you pour it out in molds? I used molds with IP RTD and didn't care for it because it was like ice (probably due to water content) so it lost its creaminess this way.
I like ProtiThin drink boxes, btw. Someone here said they were identical to IP's, which I really like, so I got them and would say that was true in regards to taste but there is a difference in macros.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:09 AM   #29  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOSINGFORGOOD2010 View Post
good morning all! Was off work yesterday, so just popping on quickly now. So yesterday WOW, down to 187.3, headed to my dr apt for noon, and he was 1.5 hours BEHIND. I had a good breakfast before heading out just in case this would happen, but by the time I got home near 2 I was SO HUNGRY I had a Quest bar that was 23 in carbs, and 14 in fiber, 1 in alcohol sugars. So I thought perfect! I am all good as my carb count was so low at that point of the day. Well this morning, I am up to 189.4, how upsetting. Wondering if just that bar had that effect?
I would say no. And, I wouldn't worry about it as our weight fluctuates. The only measure should be 7 days not day to day. Having said that, I don't know if the Quest bar is P1 compliant but you may just be doing the protocol loosely. As a veteran, I am sure you know the guidelines for determining if an alternative is P1 compliant. There was a lot of talk on these boards a few months back because Quest changed their ingredients making many if not all the bars incompatible with strict P1 protocol. I didn't follow it closely because I don't eat them, but it might be something you want to review.
Old 12-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #30  

Quote:
I would say no. And, I wouldn't worry about it as our weight fluctuates. The only measure should be 7 days not day to day. Having said that, I don't know if the Quest bar is P1 compliant but you may just be doing the protocol loosely. As a veteran, I am sure you know the guidelines for determining if an alternative is P1 compliant. There was a lot of talk on these boards a few months back because Quest changed their ingredients making many if not all the bars incompatible with strict P1 protocol. I didn't follow it closely because I don't eat them, but it might be something you want to review.
Yes I remember that, however the ones we still have in Canada are the 'old' recipe. I am IP / Atkins... both targeting low carb and more fat