Old 05-26-2016, 07:30 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

Just a quick HI to you all this morning, looks like a beautiful day in store here, heading out for a nice long walk by the lake to enjoy it!

Welcome back HIS, glad you enjoyed the holiday, but so sorry to hear that whole list of family things you have to deal with, too much all at once! But delighted about the imminent baby arrival, so exciting!
Sounds like you've crossed a mental barrier of sorts with the diet, taking that small gain in stride, love the attitude and the plan.

I'd like to hear more about the BCAAs too, I haven't really been paying attention, and as you all know by know, I don't like to exercise
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #122  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

BCAAs: I normally take them while exercising. Mix the powder in half a bottle of water and consume it while walking or whatever. But you can take them right before exercise if that works better for you. If you don't formally exercise, maybe take them before or during your work day/shift.

IP recommends them for every dieter in P1 for the first three weeks on protocol, since there's often a significant decrease in muscle mass during that period.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:51 PM   #123  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadjineh View Post
HIS: What are you doing with the BCAA's.... I got some from GNC, but I'm not sure when to take them and the package info is really next to useless. Is there any point if I am not lifting or doing other resistance training right now? I am doing 9600-12000 steps per shift at work (not counting the rest of my day) so it isn't like I'm not getting exercise at all.
Fill me in on your BCAA 'schedule' if you wouldn't mind, thanks!

Liana
Liana / Blue - Thanks to HIS, I started using BCAA's (BPI) - I generally take 1/2 a scoop before a run or weight session, and the other 1/2 after. I've read both the good (extra energy / builds muscle mass / weight loss) and bad (placebo / crapadoodle). Idk - maybe its a combination, but I feel more energized *most* of the time and my muscle mass has definitely improved. Metabolism though...??? I am still having to carefully monitor everything that goes in my mouth. We did a BBQ treat dinner last Saturday I am still dealing with Not that I thought BCAA's were going to be some 'magic pill' that allowed me to eat anything at-will...and hopefully over time, the muscle will start helping rev my metabolism up a bit.

Blue - enjoy the weather...looks like we're going straight from early March to July - but I will take this any day over 3-straight-weeks-of-rain

HIS - glad you had an awesome cruise! You are right about the protocol - but out of curiosity, if it wasn't for your injury (and you were running / training), what do you think you would be doing? The same? P1 alt?
My problem is that since I stopped bouncing in/out of P1, I am finally feeling really normal / good again. I have not had an all-out binge in over 2 weeks (ok - double checked...10 days - but that Sunday before I P2'd out of habit / fear & now I've probably jinxed myself )! The problem is, without the P1 days, I worry my treat meals could lead to problems. While I've definitely gained muscle, I could also still stand to lose another 10 pounds (at least in my mind...it would give me that cushion as I am flirting with the very top-end of 'healthy BMI') - and how to do that and balance the running & weight training is frustrating.

I've talked to my 'trainer' (I wrap that in quotes b/c honestly, I didn't hire him and he's not charging me b/c I'm not doing actual sessions with him...but he'll take a 1/2 hour to talk to me / answer questions / give suggestions). He is a whole-foods kind of guy (ie, LaraBar over Combat, chocolate milk instead of Quest shakes), but advocates a 'what works for you' philosophy. He didn't totally crapadoodle on IP, but wants me to continue to concentrate on building muscle to help repair my metabolism - and fwiw, thinks BCAA's are 'snake oil' ("we get enough amino acids from food...") but I take some of his advice with a grain of salt
Anyway, he's not against occasional 'fasting', but not while training. He basically advocated everything I've been doing - maintain around 1,800 calories (trying...I only log about once a week now & thats generally treat-meal day), allow for a treat meal here and there (the body becomes complacent if you try to keep things exactly the same day-in, day-out). So far, so good, except wouldn't you know, I get a real, true & full TOM for the first time since last September but I have stayed in the low 150's for the last 2 weeks.

So, I won't technically be training for anything from June 4 - July 18 (then we ramp back up for the September half marathon(s) ) but plan to continue running (2 weekdays & long run Sat or Sun) and probably go to 3 days of weights. We want to try a TRX class at the rec center

I guess this long ramble was my way of saying I've moved on a bit more...I had reached a point where it felt like I was continually in the vicious cycle of P1, P4, BINGE, P1 - wash, rinse, repeat I didn't feel good and hated the binging...I didn't binge before IP & I didn't like feeling out of control. I won't say I'm 100% over it, but have stopped feeling the physical NEED to binge - now, if I find myself munching aimlessly or getting a spoon ready for the nut butter jar, I am stopping myself - I have no excuse (P1 level calories)...& maybe psychologically, thats been part of the problem. Idk - it may have been a real issue though too - I'm not wealthy and don't have insurance that allows me to continuously monitor my blood work. I just knew a lot of the binging really wasn't related to boredom or stress - it was a true, physical need for calories - I'd be shaking sometimes...or finding myself lightheaded & dizzy & that has stopped since I leveled my daily calories out.

Also, I' am finding immense joy in running / weights and the changes it is making to my body & even though the scale is telling me I should be doing P1, my clothes "says" otherwise

Job-front...no call-back yet. Not completely despondent - the HR rep said it might be next week / after Memorial Day...but I thought she was going to call to schedule this week. If I have not heard from her by Tuesday, I will call and follow up. Trying to remain positive, but I really think I might have been 'over qualified'. That's fine, just wish they would call and say 'sorry, x-y-z..."
Not waiting to move on - applying for a job with a non-profit today.

Last edited by hysteria_625; 05-26-2016 at 01:48 PM.
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #124  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

A quick Aloha everyone,

Sounds like the weather is warming up back home. I am enjoying the time off of work. I fiND I am not following p4 to a t, but trying to stay in control of what I am eating. I have been fairly active starting days with walks/ jogs and finishing with about 18000 steps on most days. I tried paddle boarding a few days ago and it was a lot of fun and I think a fairly good work out.

Beth, sending good thoughts your way.

His, glad you vacation went well. Sounds like you having things unDer contol. Sounds like you have been quite busy with caring for others.

Blue, nice to get rid of the old cloths. I did not save anything as I don't want to have anything to go back to. I actually gave a coworker who is also doing ip a box of cloths before I left for vacation.

Liana thanks for the mac nut idea. I also bought an avacado at the sunshine market, I will need to check if it is ripe today and maybe make some guacamole.

Mahalo for your continued support.

Sue
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:46 AM   #125  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post

HIS - glad you had an awesome cruise! You are right about the protocol - but out of curiosity, if it wasn't for your injury (and you were running / training), what do you think you would be doing? The same? P1 alt?
My problem is that since I stopped bouncing in/out of P1, I am finally feeling really normal / good again. I have not had an all-out binge in over 2 weeks (ok - double checked...10 days - but that Sunday before I P2'd out of habit / fear & now I've probably jinxed myself )! The problem is, without the P1 days, I worry my treat meals could lead to problems. While I've definitely gained muscle, I could also still stand to lose another 10 pounds (at least in my mind...it would give me that cushion as I am flirting with the very top-end of 'healthy BMI') - and how to do that and balance the running & weight training is frustrating.

I've talked to my 'trainer' (I wrap that in quotes b/c honestly, I didn't hire him and he's not charging me b/c I'm not doing actual sessions with him...but he'll take a 1/2 hour to talk to me / answer questions / give suggestions). He is a whole-foods kind of guy (ie, LaraBar over Combat, chocolate milk instead of Quest shakes), but advocates a 'what works for you' philosophy. He didn't totally crapadoodle on IP, but wants me to continue to concentrate on building muscle to help repair my metabolism - and fwiw, thinks BCAA's are 'snake oil' ("we get enough amino acids from food...") but I take some of his advice with a grain of salt
Anyway, he's not against occasional 'fasting', but not while training. He basically advocated everything I've been doing - maintain around 1,800 calories (trying...I only log about once a week now & thats generally treat-meal day), allow for a treat meal here and there (the body becomes complacent if you try to keep things exactly the same day-in, day-out). So far, so good, except wouldn't you know, I get a real, true & full TOM for the first time since last September but I have stayed in the low 150's for the last 2 weeks.

I guess this long ramble was my way of saying I've moved on a bit more...I had reached a point where it felt like I was continually in the vicious cycle of P1, P4, BINGE, P1 - wash, rinse, repeat I didn't feel good and hated the binging...I didn't binge before IP & I didn't like feeling out of control. I won't say I'm 100% over it, but have stopped feeling the physical NEED to binge - now, if I find myself munching aimlessly or getting a spoon ready for the nut butter jar, I am stopping myself - I have no excuse (P1 level calories)...& maybe psychologically, thats been part of the problem. Idk - it may have been a real issue though too - I'm not wealthy and don't have insurance that allows me to continuously monitor my blood work. I just knew a lot of the binging really wasn't related to boredom or stress - it was a true, physical need for calories - I'd be shaking sometimes...or finding myself lightheaded & dizzy & that has stopped since I leveled my daily calories out.

Not sure I understand your question... Do you mean, how would I be eating post-cruise if I could exercise?

I've been contemplating long-term eating this week. I did P1 and dropped about 6 pounds, but then when I went back to "normal" eating (meaning, P3-ish), 4 pounds came right back on. My size 8/10 clothes are fitting fine. So I'm wondering if maybe I need to change my thinking about that goal weight of 155 - maybe around 160 is a more maintainable place for me to be. Especially while not running.

I did some treadmill running on the ship but had a day of noticeable pain so decided to back off until I got home. This week it's been rainy and I haven't had time to drive to the gym. I walked 8 miles yesterday but that's it for exercise. I'm going to try Day 1 of my running program tomorrow and see if I can make progress this week. I'd really like to build up my running in June/July since I have that 5K at the end of July.

My daughter pulled some strings and got me a referral (from the director who oversees all our clinicians) to get some therapy. I don't think I'll need a lot of appointments, I just want them to evaluate my running form and help me figure out what exercises might help strengthen my core and pelvic area so I don't have a repeat of this injury.

I'm pretty skeptical about most health food claims but I think BCAAs are legit. Research seems to support their effectiveness. I don't feel more energy when I take them, but I definitely feel like they've built - or sustained - my muscle mass enough that I have can eat more calories and not immediately pack on pounds.

Rain again today, so no walking. I'm off to church shortly, then a BBQ at my son and DIL's house.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:51 AM   #126  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysteria_625 View Post
My problem is that since I stopped bouncing in/out of P1, I am finally feeling really normal / good again. I have not had an all-out binge in over 2 weeks (ok - double checked...10 days - but that Sunday before I P2'd out of habit / fear & now I've probably jinxed myself )! The problem is, without the P1 days, I worry my treat meals could lead to problems.
...I only log about once a week now & thats generally treat-meal day), allow for a treat meal here and there (the body becomes complacent if you try to keep things exactly the same day-in, day-out).
I guess this long ramble was my way of saying I've moved on a bit more...I had reached a point where it felt like I was continually in the vicious cycle of P1, P4, BINGE, P1 - wash, rinse, repeat I didn't feel good and hated the binging..

Also, I am finding immense joy in running / weights and the changes it is making to my body & even though the scale is telling me I should be doing P1, my clothes "says" otherwise

Job-front...no call-back yet. Not completely despondent - the HR rep said it might be next week / after Memorial Day...but I thought she was going to call to schedule this week. If I have not heard from her by Tuesday, I will call and follow up. Trying to remain positive, but I really think I might have been 'over qualified'. That's fine, just wish they would call and say 'sorry, x-y-z..."
Not waiting to move on - applying for a job with a non-profit today.
Hey Beth, something here confuses me a bit. Aren't the splurge meals once a week "recommended" then follow by P1 day? Why are you finding that to be problematic for you? Or are you staying in P1 longer than a day at a time to compensate? Well, anyway, you seem to have gotten a handle on it, so probably not a problem. Just curious.
You are making great progress in maintenance, I know it's been more challenging for you because of the running/training...interesting about the journalling too. I thought I'd be doing it till end of summer, but I'm finding that most days I'm not bothering. I weigh myself every day, if my weight is at the 132/133 where it seems to have settled, all is good. If it's up from that, I'll cut carbs a bit, watch the snacking, and log into MFP for a couple of days just to keep myself in control. I think I can maintain comfortable this way too.
I love that you're finding "joy" in running, and for sure, that scale number doesn't matter, you feel great, your clothes fit, you are a success, my friend!!

Good luck with the job hunt, keeping fingers crossed , but I'm thinking you may end up with choices!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIStand View Post
I've been contemplating long-term eating this week. I did P1 and dropped about 6 pounds, but then when I went back to "normal" eating (meaning, P3-ish), 4 pounds came right back on. My size 8/10 clothes are fitting fine. So I'm wondering if maybe I need to change my thinking about that goal weight of 155 - maybe around 160 is a more maintainable place for me to be. Especially while not running.

I did some treadmill running on the ship but had a day of noticeable pain so decided to back off until I got home. This week it's been rainy and I haven't had time to drive to the gym. I walked 8 miles yesterday but that's it for exercise. I'm going to try Day 1 of my running program tomorrow and see if I can make progress this week. I'd really like to build up my running in June/July since I have that 5K at the end of July.
That number on the scale we've gotten so conditioned to it, haven't we? But if you feel good and your clothes fit, why worry? Things may change once you're back to your running schedule. Hope you get the OK to start again

Sue, glad you're enjoying Hawaii, sounds like it's all going really well for you.

This has been a week for planting and gardening. We had our plant sale last weekend, then this week, went to the garden centers and got more plants
Yesterday we went to a bunch of garage sale, lots of people selling plants, so we got some perennials we don't have and came home and planted them. Gardens are so pretty this time of year. Finally had a chance to relax by mid-aft, sat on the patio and watched the finches and orioles and hummingbirds at the feeders, a nice glass of cool white wine, a dish of fresh berries... life is good.

Started the day today with a nice long walk, getting caught up on some things around the house this morning, but I'm thinking I'm going to spend the afternoon outside, I could easily have a repeat of yesterday. Picked up a chicken to grill tonight, going to try spatchcocking it ( no I didn't make up that work, I was watching a cooking show a few days ago... ). Local asparagus to go with it. And a friend of mine is going to bring me a big bagful of rhubarb, he has a friend with a big bunch growing, he doesn't really use it, so that will be a treat. Like I said, life is good

Hope you're all having a great holiday weekend
Old 05-29-2016, 06:29 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 187/182/130

Height: 5'4''

his. Started walking over an hour each day...taking extra pack....never heard of BCAA would like to purchase some at GNC tomorrow...how do I chose...looked online and so many kinds...
Loser13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #128  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser13 View Post
his. Started walking over an hour each day...taking extra pack....never heard of BCAA would like to purchase some at GNC tomorrow...how do I chose...looked online and so many kinds...
There really are a LOT, aren't there? I used this link: https://labdoor.com/rankings/bcaa to chose mine. I ended up with MusclePharm brand because I like their bars a lot so I trusted them.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:11 AM   #129  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Beth - you might find this article interesting, re: the science of fasting before exercise and the use of BCAAs.http://www.muscleforlife.com/bcaa-supplement/

I think you're right, we can get BCAAs via protein foods, but on the protocol we're not always eating the amount of protein we need. Especially pre- and post-exercise.

Hoping to do some kayaking at the lake today. Otherwise, it's a low-key Memorial Day holiday here. Hope everyone is enjoying a day off work.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:33 AM   #130  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Height: 5'4"

Hi Everyone! Been reading to keep up with everyone. Even with some down time (if that's what you want to call it) I've been super busy. Was off Friday -combo of my birthday and launch day for the boat) so I had a 4 day weekend. Well, let'[s just say-I ate with reckless abandon. I will keep you up to date as I do a P1/2 day today, and likely for the remainder of the week- 125.4 on Thursday morning, and this morning-132.8. Yes, total abandon- though I (in part) was thinking of it also as partly experimental. Breakfasts ouot- including eggs Bennie, cake all weekend- flourless chocolate mousse cake for my birthday, my grand daughters birthday cake and ice cream, Flurries (like a DQ Blizzard) twice, Lloyds ribs twice, chocolate chip cookies...So now, back to normalcy - Maple oatmeal for breakfast, lettuce, onion and roast beef (6 oz) and dressing for lunch (was a common P2 for me) a Quest Apple Pie bar and summer squash and chicken for supper. I will have lots of water and keep you apprised as to what happens. Ok, time to "get 'er done" as they say- I understand that Friday was a "s/show" at the office....and why wouldn't it have been..... Have a great day everyone!
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 05:14 AM   #131  

WATCH OUT- the site is acting up again- make sure you copy your post in case the log in prompt shows up and you lose your post...like it did to me...arrrghGood Morning, Day 2- so, last night I ended up having 4 oz of chicken and about 2 oz of sliced roast bed -while I was cooking the chicken- I was hungry! - no gym, it was about an 11.5 hour day at work, though I did sneak out at lunchtime for a walk- instead of summer squash, I just made salad- some lettuce, red onion, the chicken and my old standby Good Seasons Italian dressing. I think we were in bed by 815....So this morning, I am down to 130. Actually, I was up 7 lbs, not 6- don't know how I messed that one up....So, 5 lbs to go- I'll eat today pretty much the same as I did yesterday.....I'll check in tomorrow to let you know how it's progressing. I still have to say, no matter how much I am grumbling to myself about P1/2ing, it was worth it- BUT - I also don't see myself letting it happen again anytime in the near future. I was honestly curious how my body would react, how long it would take to get back to 125, and was looking at it partly as an experiment. I won't lie, seeing that number yesterday, it was a shock- I didn't expect to be over 130- I (of course) wish that this morning the scale was back in to the 120's but tomorrow, well, I should be there at least. I hope that by Friday I can be eating normal again- ....I do know also, that my "experiment" was playing with fire. There's a little part of me saying...so what 130 is fine...clothes fit fine....BUT I know, that if I let that rule this, before long...the scale will just continue to creep. My thought now, is IF I have to stay this way in to the weekend, will I need to almost do a "phase off"? I would imagine by Saturday (IF I have to stay eating this way, I'll be back in to ketosis..) thoughts??
Old 06-01-2016, 09:18 AM   #132  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Linda - from everything I've read, yes, if you go back into ketosis - generally 3 days - to be safe, you will need to do a quick phase off. Not 100% sure of all the science behind this though and I read some people seem to jump in / out without problems. I wouldn't chance it...and I'm sure you've read over on 'the book' that it is the P1 day after a treat that "prevents" the fat from having time to settle. Everything after that is gravy.
Plus, I'm pretty sure, no matter how much you ate, it wasn't an additional 25,000 calories in 3 days
I know you want to see the scale back down to normal, but imvho, maybe going back to P3 tomorrow would be best - give it a couple days and then decide if you need another P1/P2 day?

Hope everyone is well

HIS - the BCAA's - that was my trainer saying that, not me - and I don't take everything he says to heart. I have seen huge gains since we began taking them and am not stopping
He just reiterated what I already thought - with my level of exercise right now, regardless of what constitutes a 'treat meal', bouncing in and out of 'metabolic starvation' isn't a wise choice, for me. The scale is going to fluctuate, regardless, and it's hurting my progress and screwing with me mentally.

We had a fantastic weekend - my nephews wedding was gorgeous, it was awesome to spend time with my cousins, and it was nice to get away for a couple days.

I didn't go too crazy, but enjoyed a turkey club, split some fries with DH, and had some wedding cake (that was just absolutely amazing). We did a 5 mile walk Saturday morning, took Sunday completely off, and then ran Monday afternoon on the trails.
I felt SO good running Monday. My muscles had definitely restored their glycogen

We moved into our new space at work...its not horrible. Tons of natural light, which I appreciate, but I am directly under an a/c vent - and we are in open cubes so not much privacy (no more mid-afternoon yoga breaks)...and we are sharing a kitchen with 100+ other people. This is coming from where we were only having to share with 25 other people before - big difference!

Oh - and finally got called back for an interview tomorrow morning at 11a - I had a melt down Thursday in our Directors office (got included on an email I shouldn't have seen) and still nothing official...not a peep
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #133  
Ready to Reboot!

S/C/G: 165.8/161.4/150 (Reboot 2)

Height: 5'3

Hi All. I am working through reading posts from the past week. Hope you are well. Just wanted you all to know I have returned from Disney World. I have not weighed myself but I feel fat. I had a great time. I think I may do Phase 1 next week, Phase 2 the following, and Phase 3 the next week until our beach vacation. I am happy to be going away, but these vacations are messing up my routine!!! Oh well. I'll write again when I am finished reviewing previous posts.
MiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #134  

Linda – Happy Birthday sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!
I agree with Beth, that was a big splurge, but it doesn’t sound like 25000 calories, that 7 lb gain is NOT all fat, no way. All that stuff will work its way out in a day or two, if not already. If you’ve already done a couple of P1 days, I wouldn’t do any more, don’t go into ketosis. IMHO, the P1 days should have done their job, and if you just do P3, good breakfast, and lighter lunch/dinner, avoid snacking etc, for a few days, that should get things back to normal, or close. How was your weight today?

Beth, glad you enjoyed the wedding and the few days away. Did everyone love the dress?
Good to hear the job hunt news, best of luck with the interview!!

Candi Disney sounds like a great vacation, glad you had fun. Here’s hoping that “fat feeling” is mostly just bloat, which will work itself out in a few days, and the scale won’t yell at you.

Nothing much new with me, had my monthly check-in with my coach, weight is the same, still maintaining at 132/133
Out for dinner tonight to celebrate a friend’s anniversary, really nice place, and I see a splurge coming!! Probably a P1 day tomorrow, just to be safe
Old 06-02-2016, 05:59 AM   #135  

Morning 3- 127.6- have pretty been P2 by all accounts, today, I am P3ing. I think that you are right- don't want to go in to ketosis- Walking at lunch no gym after work- 645-530-6pm is a long enough day and I am exhausted by the end of the day. Stressed and exhausted...hopefully by check in with my coach on Saturday I'll be back in to my 125's. TTYL - hope you all have a great Thrsday