Old 11-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #91  

S/C/G: 187/135/135

Height: 5'4"

WOW Beth, you look great!

It's so inspiring to read about everyones recent successes here. Thank you to everyone who posts and keeps our IP threads active! I'm a bit of an ocd lurker and it's so beneficial to read about the shared experiences.

I've been debating whether I want to have half of a sweet potato for Thanksgiving dinner. I made a plan where I could still be under 20g net carbs for the day. Or I remember someone, I think Amber, mention that her coach approved a sweet potato in the past coupled with exercise for the day. That is enticing, not just because of the sweet potato but also because I would really love to go for a run! Or at least see how I measure up to when I ran consistently. Reading about everyone's recent running experiences really has me itching for it! Since I don't have any heavy field days this week, it would be a good time for it too.

I hope everyone had an awesome Monday!
Kalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:21 PM   #92  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

Beth - Quite a transformation! I would do the magnet. It reminds me of my brother's diet plan. Hang mirrors on his refrigerator and go into the kitchen naked
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:11 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

Beth - your picture is an amazing inspiration and motivating to us newbees. Thanks for sharing.

I received some exciting news today. I found myself on IP because of a seminar that we had at work where they were going to select 30 people and cover the cost of the consultation and about 1/2 of the food per week for 12 weeks. I decided to start the program 2 weeks ago, before they selected the people (I wanted to have a good start on the program before the holidays), but I found out today that I was selected. Definitely so motivation to stick with it through the holidays.
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:46 AM   #94  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Beth you're the poster child for how to lose weight and get fit.

smda, lucky you! That's a big financial benefit, and huge motivation to do well.

kalaya, if you think you can eat the sweet potato and stay in ketosis, I say go for it! You'll find out pretty quickly if it's a trigger or if it stalls your weight loss or anything.

I did a 2nd day of P1 yesterday. So after my big Saturday splurge, it took 2 days of P1 to lose 2 pounds. I'm still a pound over 155, my intended permanent weight, but I'm trying not to be obsessive about that number. I didn't like going back to P1 so I have to remember that the next time I'm faced with going way off the rails. Tracking everything I eat and weighing every day really helps, because those numbers don't let me avoid thinking about it.

My ankle... I ran 3.6 miles yesterday, and still have intermittent pain. The swelling is completely gone. Now I'm wondering if it's ligament or a bone bruise? Although I don't recall bumping it.

Anyway, I have several appointments and errands scheduled today, and work this evening, so all I'll have time for is maybe 30 minutes on the elliptical at the gym - no impact. Then run on Wednesday, a brief walk or run on Thursday morning, and rest Friday. I'm doing another 5K on Saturday because the shirt is so pretty. So I will see how the ankle feels through the week. I don't like that there's still pain, but it doesn't seem to be getting worse, and sometimes it actually feels better. It's a mystery.

ETA: I've been wanting to echo something Beth said earlier in the thread. This group has been my go-to place for support and encouragement and help on this protocol. The FB group helped me understand the protocol, but it's so big and impersonal. Here, I feel like I've really gotten to know y'all as we've walked this road together. I hope we continue to hang out here together and share our successes for a long time.

Last edited by HereIStand; 11-24-2015 at 08:51 AM.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #95  

S/C/G: 234 / 146.2 / 138

Height: 5'6 / 38 / office slug

Kalaya - Thanks! The plan doesn't sound bad, just keep in mind a big part of the science is weight loss is accelerated by ketosis - about a 1/2c of sweet potato is 27 carbs, no fiber. Depending on how sensitive you are to carbs, this *could* be enough to knock you out.
My personal issue was suffering from horrible "keto-flu" symptoms I accidentally knocked myself out about 4 months in - UGH! I did everything I could to make sure I didn't have to keep going through that
1 more thought - I didn't start running until recently, and had upped daily caloric intake a little over a month ago from 850 - 900 avg to 1,250 - 1,400 avg...even a 1/2 a sweet potato might not keep you from bonking. I defer to HIS and Jenny though I tend to be over cautious

Ro - thanks! I started looking at a company that offers this service - not sure my kids would be thrilled seeing that on the fridge all the time...but given my older daughters weight issues, maybe it would inspire her too...but it took me 20 years to get my head around my weight, so no judgement

smd - Thanks! & CONGRATS! That is terrific - IP certainly isn't cheap. Not sure how long you will be on protocol, but that is a huge savings, regardless.

So I posted my *new* favorite P3 breakfast over in the thread for those who want to check it out.

No WF issues - had both Quest & WF last night (made banana pudding - thanks Ro!) & no icky throat, etc...go figure.

Today I am going down to the gym and taking my first group class in YEARS - Insanity!
Although I had a terrific breakfast, I am still planning to do 1/2 a premier protein before class & the other 1/2 after

HIS - Your thoughts if you have a minute...I really don't think this is a wise idea, even after my success in the 5K Sunday...DH wants to do a 10K on 12/13. We looked at the course and it is fairly flat - also it's a trail run (no concrete or asphalt).
I have a wonky knee - the support I have helps and I have zero issues with it when I'm running (it stiffens a little when I'm sedentary)...but I saw your other post about only adding a mile at a time...and this is only 3 weeks away. My pre-5K training was 4 miles & I did that 5 times...
There is a 5K option I am perfectly fine with not like I could stay with DH anyway...its just the start times are really staggered - 8am start for the 10K runners and 9am for the 5K...so DH would already be back and just hanging around waiting for me before I even started...and vice versa.
I have a feeling I know what you'll probably say I am definitely leaning towards the 5K...OR a tacky lights run (6K) the night before (if I can talk DH into it...he is all about the competition right now...)
hysteria_625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:14 AM   #96  
Alt. IP since 6/8/15

Height: 5' 10"

Beth- definitely the 5K. NOT the 10k, this early, and without having slowly upped your long runs. You really risk injury if you do the 10K. Ask me how I know. My history of stress fractures was because I ran too far, too soon.
HereIStand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:41 AM   #97  

S/C/G: 187/135/135

Beth - I'm going to echo HIS and definitely recommend the 5k over the 10k. In my experience, it was always advised never to increase your weekly miles by more than 10%. I had some weeks where I over did it because I was feeling great progress, only to provoke an injury!

HIS - Now I'm going to echo myself from a previous post that might have gotten lost in the shuffle a few pages back. I'm on my phone so it won't let me quote for some reason, but anyway I highly recommend checking out your running 'form'. I took a workshop where a coach evaluated and provided feedback on my form which really helped out with preventing a flare up of my old injury. There are a few apps that allow someone to record you run past, then break it down frame by frame so you can see posture, mid foot/heel placement etc. I'm sure you're familiar with good form since it sounds like you've been a runner in the past too. Just wanted to share because working on my form really improved a lot of things for me!

Re: the sweet potato. That worries me now since my app (lose it) has half of a 5" sweet potato netting 11.1g carbs. It says that it's verified but who knows, I'll have to compare with other places now! My way of 'justifying' it, was that according to the app it's still less carbs/sugar/calories than the one actual IP restricted item that I own: the strawberry wafers...which are okay but I think totally not worth it! I've had them since the beginning and only have had a half of one and was like...id rather eat an entire quest bar instead of this lol.
Kalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:00 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Kalaya- I think your app is off. In MFP, 5 oz. of roasted sweet potatoes is 36g carb.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #99  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalaya View Post
Beth - I'm going to echo HIS and definitely recommend the 5k over the 10k. In my experience, it was always advised never to increase your weekly miles by more than 10%. I had some weeks where I over did it because I was feeling great progress, only to provoke an injury!

Re: the sweet potato. That worries me now since my app (lose it) has half of a 5" sweet potato netting 11.1g carbs. It says that it's verified but who knows, I'll have to compare with other places now! My way of 'justifying' it, was that according to the app it's still less carbs/sugar/calories than the one actual IP restricted item that I own: the strawberry wafers...which are okay but I think totally not worth it! I've had them since the beginning and only have had a half of one and was like...id rather eat an entire quest bar instead of this lol.
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/3209?manu=&fgcd=

^^ this is USDA nutrition 'facts'...probably about as accurate as it gets

& thanks to you & HIS for the advise! I talked with DH too and although he was the one saying he thought I could do it, based on my results Sunday, now is more like, "well, 3 weeks really isn't that much time...I trained for 2.5 months...if we do it, just sign up for the 5K" and then the super-in-shape butth0!e says "I'll just join you for that run too"

So we are also contemplating a 1/2 marathon happening March 12 - it's the Rock N Roll 1/2...& expensive! But DH is determined to do a 13.1 this spring at some point, whether is is this one or...?.
Last night I downloaded a couch to 1/2 marathon training app (Under Armors 'Run Trainer')...It's 14 weeks...I'm not too sure about the app though - its calendar is comprehensive & it was easy to set up & it was free - but idk...I would be willing to spend a couple dollars on an app if there are any suggestions?

Last edited by hysteria_625; 11-24-2015 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #100  

S/C/G: 203.8/135/135

Height: 5"2"

It's a sad day at our house. Our kitty died today. Not unexpected, he's been declining and the last few days, we just knew.
He was 15, and we had him for 5 years. Some friends were moving to Europe and couldn't take him along, so he came to live with us. The sweetest kitty!
So of course there were tears, but in the spirit of this Thanksgiving week, I am focusing on being thankful that he came into our lives.

ETA: I could really use a hug!

Last edited by blueskiesahead; 11-24-2015 at 03:10 PM.
blueskiesahead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:25 PM   #101  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Blue- it is always so hard when a pet passes. They become some much a part of your life and your family. Sending hugs your way

Last edited by jennydoodle; 11-24-2015 at 03:25 PM.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #102  
IP Start Date 8/29/14

S/C/G: 231.5/168/168

Height: 5'8"

So sorry, Blue.
Ro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #103  

S/C/G: 253.3 / 188.8 /195

Height: 5'5"

Blue - Sorry to hear about the loss of your furry friend.

Beth - Thanks for sharing the warning about the ketosis flu -- I have been without headaches for a week and generally feeling good.

Kalaya - Don't forget the sweet potato lacks the protein of the IP foods. I found The Real Cost of Cheating thread to be helpful to me to understand the impact of the choices I will have to make during the Holidays. (it might be a good read for me to do the each of the next few days.

I do hope that all of you stay around the forum for a while (during phase 4)- you all seem well informed and I have been getting a daily dose of motivation from each of you. I meet with my coach tomorrow ( 1 day early ) I am hoping to reach 10 # in 2 weeks. If I don't I will be happy too -- as I can now remove my fatter pants without unbuttoning them and put on a pair of jeans that I have not been able to wear for several months.
smdawheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:59 PM   #104  

S/C/G: 212/125/140orig/130 chgd 9/5

Blue I'm so very sorry.
Destony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #105  

(((Blue))) sorry for your loss